JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any news about our friends in Maui?

22 hours ago, Qapla said:

But - did Typhoon Dora or a Kona Storm or Kona Low start the fire or did they just help spread a fire that started some other way?

How did the warming of the ocean start a fire? Water usually puts fire out.

Currently the cause of fire is unknown or unconfirmed, unless that info has been updated. What I did read is that the spread of highly flammable invasive grasses have been cited as a possible reason for the fires and also the fact that its extremely dry so any spark will easily start random fires and spread with the winds.

https://www.vox.com/climate/2023/8/9/23826015/maui-fire-2023-lahaina-hawaii-cause

The warming Oceans has nothing to do with starting fires, however, the warming of the Oceans around Hawaii due to Global Warming may have affected the frequency and intensity of the Kona low and the tropical cyclones that affect that region. The Kona low can produce strong and gusty winds that can change direction rapidly and create fire hazards.

I visited Maui in 2016, spent whole week on that island. 

Loved it. It's really heartbreaking to see devastation on that scale. 

Many buildings that I took pictures off,  do not exist anymore...hmmm. 

This year we have many weather/climate events. Sign of the last days. 

Hmm..what next? another big disaster? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The death toll this morning said 53 dead and thousands missing.

Climate change has caused weather changes.  More evaporation in the ocean caused increased rainfall in the past months.  This increased the growth of grass.  Then the hot, dry weather hit and the increased undergrowth dried out and provided plenty of fuel to get it all started.

I wrote that last paragraph from memory so if I made some mistakes, let me know.

Edited by Witness1970

added the last two paragraphs

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

The aftermath 😢

It reminds me of what Paradise, California looked like right after the fire. I had never seen a city area burned up like that before.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

25 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It reminds me of what Paradise, California looked like right after the fire. I had never seen a city area burned up like that before.

A brother in our congregation once lived in Paradise, Ca and lost everything and shared pictures of what he once had.   He was very traumatized which is to be expected.   He ended up passing away a couple years later.

2 minutes ago, Desert Dan said:

A brother in our congregation once lived in Paradise, Ca and lost everything and shared pictures of what he once had.   He was very traumatized which is to be expected.   He ended up passing away a couple years later.

I helped deliver some stuff to Paradise two months after the fire, driving through the devastation was amazing...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

JW News has update.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/united-states/Wildfires-Devastate-Parts-of-the-Hawaiian-Islands-USA/

Old (Downunder) Tone

MauiNews.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

2 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

JW News has update.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=702023246&srcid=share

3 hours ago, Desert Dan said:

It is sad too, as I saw on the news about someone saying places of employment are now gone also.   How quickly lives can be changed by things occurring in this system.  So even if brother's homes weren't directly affected, they may be now unemployed

This will have domino effect as well. 

Maui depends on tourism. Now, lets be realistic, tourism will significantly drop, so even if some business survived they will operate on lower capacity.

Take for example big resorts already posting something like this: “At this time, we can confirm the hotel is closed to arrivals and not accepting guests through 08/11/2023. Any deposits and prepayments for canceled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded,” it said, adding that it is working to assess the “level of impact” that the fires had on the property.https://www.travelmarketreport.com/News/articles/Maui-Fire-Update-Evacuations-Hotel-Closures-and-Airline-Changes

I see tough times for some brothers and sisters in Maui, praying for them. 

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

An elder in our congregation is active in DRC, he and his wife were case managers in the Paradise Campfire and several disasters since then. He has been invited to work with the Maui DRC and the kickoff meeting is tomorrow. The brothers are on top of the situation.👍🏼

Big thank you friends for your financial contributions.

In situations like this, organization can also help in a practical ways, thanks to our willing spirit and what we financially contribute. 

Disasters are very common now.

2 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Miracle! 🙏🧡🧡🧡🧡

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Disasters are very common now.

More like an epidemic! And the forecast for the fall isn't any better. With warmer waters it spells disaster.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Losing jobs after disaster is a real consequence. It happened several years ago when Puerto Rico was devastated by a hurricane. Last year's hurricane Floyd devastated Fort Meyers, Fl and the flooding had far reaching consequences inland all the way to Orlando.

I feel for those in Hawaii that will lose jobs ... some of the jobs never return.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~