JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast - October 2023

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

"Religion is a snare and a racket"

If you would like to hear a 4 minute audio clip of J.F. Rutherford that "religion is a snare and a racket" Religion is a Snare and a Racket : J.F. Rutherford : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

51 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

If you would like to hear a 4 minute audio clip of J.F. Rutherford that "religion is a snare and a racket" Religion is a Snare and a Racket : J.F. Rutherford : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Oh thank you so much!! Do you know if a transcript is available somewhere?

10 hours ago, Dages said:

Seriously, I would wear that :D 

7 hours ago, SKnight said:

I would love to order one of these t-shirts.., preferably in red, so they’ll know this message is “fire and hailstorm.”

FWIW I believe our belief regarding this was clarified on Wednesday 2 August 1950 when Bro Knorr publically released the English edition of the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures. See also the QfR in the Watchtower 15 March 1951, page 191

Watchtower Index 1986 to 2023

Beliefs Clarified

1950, term “religion”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174#h=94

Watchtower Index 1930 to 1985

Beliefs Clarified

1951, use of term “religion”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200028612#h=52

Therefore, if you are an active JW, in good standing, it would probably not be advisable to wear such a logo on a t-shirt unless done so within an historical reanactment (when, in any case, it would have been 'worn' as a sandwich board, rather than a 't-shirt').

Jehovah’s Witnesses - Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom, page 567

"Religion Is a Snare and a Racket." [Footnote] That wording was based on the understanding that the term religion embraced all worship built on the traditions of men, instead of on God’s Word, the Bible. However, in 1950, when the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures was published, footnotes at Acts 26:5, Colossians 2:18, and James 1:26, 27 indicated that the term religion could properly be used to refer to true worship or false. This was further clarified in The Watchtower of March 15, 1951, page 191, and the book What Has Religion Done for Mankind?, pages 8-10.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101993035#h=79

Watchtower 15 March 1951, page 191

Questions From Readers: In the past we regarded “religion” as anything that was against God’s will. Now many brothers are using the expressions “true religion” and “false religion” to make a distinction. Is this advisable?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1951207#h=2-3

25 minutes ago, Parale said:

FWIW I believe our belief regarding this was clarified on Wednesday 2 August 1950 when Bro Knorr publically released the English edition of the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures. See also the QfR in the Watchtower 15 March 1951, page 191

Watchtower Index 1986 to 2023

Beliefs Clarified

1950, term “religion”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174#h=94

Watchtower Index 1930 to 1985

Beliefs Clarified

1951, use of term “religion”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200028612#h=52

Therefore, if you are an active JW, in good standing, it would probably not be advisable to wear such a logo on a t-shirt unless done so within an historical reanactment (when, in any case, it would have been 'worn' as a sandwich board, rather than a 't-shirt').

Jehovah’s Witnesses - Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom, page 567

"Religion Is a Snare and a Racket." [Footnote] That wording was based on the understanding that the term religion embraced all worship built on the traditions of men, instead of on God’s Word, the Bible. However, in 1950, when the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures was published, footnotes at Acts 26:5, Colossians 2:18, and James 1:26, 27 indicated that the term religion could properly be used to refer to true worship or false. This was further clarified in The Watchtower of March 15, 1951, page 191, and the book What Has Religion Done for Mankind?, pages 8-10.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101993035#h=79

Watchtower 15 March 1951, page 191

Questions From Readers: In the past we regarded “religion” as anything that was against God’s will. Now many brothers are using the expressions “true religion” and “false religion” to make a distinction. Is this advisable?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1951207#h=2-3

I'm loving the thread that came out of the subject of Brother Kenneth Cook's talk about preparing us to deliver the message of judgment.

24 minutes ago, Parale said:

Now many brothers are using the expressions “true religion” and “false religion” to make a distinction. Is this advisable?

I wonder if it would have had the same impact if the sandwich board signs said that False Religion is a snare and racket. People may have assumed it didn't apply to their religion...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I wonder if it would have had the same impact if the sandwich board signs said that False Religion is a snare and racket. People may have assumed it didn't apply to their religion...

Perhaps the message on the signs would be: Your religion is snare and racket. 

Our organization uses the word “religion” in contrasting ways.  We can say “False Religion” (which we do often).  Often we refer to Babylon the Great as the total package of “False Religion” world-wide.  Or we can say “True Religion”, which only applies to us.

In both cases we are referring to forms of worship.  Since 1950, we have established that Jehovah’s people adhere to the True Religion, True Worship and True Christianity.

*** g 7/09 p. 28 Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion? ***

Searching for Religious Truth

The world’s religions teach conflicting ideas. Logically, those teachings cannot all be true.

*** dx86-23 Religion’s Future in View of Its Past (Series in Awake!) ***

Part 22: False Religion—Overtaken by Its Past!: g89 11/22 19-22

Part 24: The Eternal Beauties of True Religion: g89 12/22 16-19

31 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Which, of course, brings us back round to the title choosen by the Governing Body for 2006's Kingdom News No. 37, namely, "The End of False Religion Is Near!"

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102006290

5 minutes ago, Parale said:

Which, of course, brings us back round to the title choosen by the Governing Body for 2006's Kingdom News No. 37, namely, "The End of False Religion Is Near!"

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102006290

That tract had a large portion dealing with "True Religion" as well.

tr1.JPG

Many, I mean many people today do not associate with ANY religion. So if we have any specific campaign that involves “more direct” messages I think it would not be in relation to religion, but action they must take to avoid destruction regardless of their beliefs and views. 
Australia for instance is a very secular country, churches are empty, coffee shops and sporting events full to the limit. 
Churches have empty car parks, but shopping centres you can’t find a spot. More and more people draw away from organised religion. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

29 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Many, I mean many people today do not associate with ANY religion. So if we have any specific campaign that involves “more direct” messages I think it would not be in relation to religion, but action they must take to avoid destruction regardless of their beliefs and views. 
Australia for instance is a very secular country, churches are empty, coffee shops and sporting events full to the limit. 
Churches have empty car parks, but shopping centres you can’t find a spot. More and more people draw away from organised religion. 

True. I read a web article yesterday about how many people are identifying as non-religious. A hard hitting message against false religion wouldn't bother a lot of people.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

46 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

True. I read a web article yesterday about how many people are identifying as non-religious. A hard hitting message against false religion wouldn't bother a lot of people.

Almost 40 per cent (38.9 per cent) of Australia's population reported having no religion in the 2021 Census, an increase from 30 per cent (30.1 per cent) in 2016 and 22 per cent (22.3 per cent) in 2011

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

24 minutes ago, SteveAus said:

hmmm....how about "Evolution is a Snare and a Lie" 🙂

In Melbourne that would lead to great protests and riots... Footy is a Snare and Lie!  (Footy- AFL Australian version of football) 

aussie rules GIF by AFL

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Here in 2006 that tract campaign about the end of false religion didnt cause any reactions at all. And Portugal is typically catholic...

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”