JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast - October 2023

11 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Featured in the JW October 2023 broadcast. Not my photos, only sharing for educational purposes.

. . .

7 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

You can also go to the University of Toronto library site to see the information! Quebec’s Burning Hate for God and Christ and Freedom Is the Shame of All Canada · Exhibits (utoronto.ca)

Oh my! You're bringing back thoughts to my mind! I came to the province of Quebec in 1987, and saw the same mentality from the 1950's era in the older generation here. The people who lived back in those days, and hated Jehovah's Witnesses, were still around to a certain extent and still hated us! More than once I felt threatened on someone's doorstep with a man screaming at us, looking like he wanted to put our lights out! :o

What is really special though, is that there are still a few brothers and sisters around who lived through that tempestuous time in Quebec. They are a treasure to be with and to talk to; their rich spiritual background in the truth is a blessing to us.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/gods-kingdom/conquests/jehovahs-witnesses-court-cases/

Edited by Sheep

6 minutes ago, rocket said:

I remember those days. Our meeting would start at 4 PM with an hour or so talk, 10-15 minute smoke break for those who had to have it and then the Watchtower Study.  Meeting not ending till 7 PM many times.  Many improvements since then.

I was just going to mention the 15 minute "intermission". 

A 5 minute Introduction, song (prayers were not always offered because it was listed as a "public meeting" and we did not want strangers to feel they were part of a "religious service").  Then an hour Public Talk.  Then 15 minute intermission.  Then 5 minutes for song and prayer to start the Watchtower Study.  Then (at least) and hour WT Study.  Finally 5 minutes for announcements, closing song and prayer.

An easy 2 1/2 hours or 3 hours if anybody went over.

7 minutes ago, rocket said:

I remember those days.

No amplification for the audience to comment with, just their voices. The only amplification was on stage. We started to use roving microphones in the early 70s.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

15 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

You can also go to

Quebec's Burning Hate : Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This site is called Archive.org you can also download The Photo Drama of Creation too. This is a public domain site, so no copyright issues are involved. Photo Drama Of Creation Slides Part One : Watchtower Bible and Tract Society : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I was a publisher in Canada during part of this time.  A family in my congregation volunteered to go to Quebec about this time.  Their name was Patterson.  It was a hard time for those on the East side of Canada.

*** jv chap. 30 pp. 688-690 ‘Defending and Legally Establishing the Good News’ ***
Opening a New Era of Freedom in Quebec
Jehovah’s Witnesses were also pressing the issue of freedom of worship in Canada. From 1944 to 1946, hundreds of Witnesses had been arrested in Quebec when they shared in their public ministry. Canadian law provided for freedom of worship, but mobs disrupted meetings where the Bible was discussed. The police obeyed demands of the Catholic clergy that Jehovah’s Witnesses be stopped. Judges of the local recorders’ courts heaped abuse on the Witnesses, though no action was taken against the mobsters. What could be done?
The Society arranged for a special assembly in Montreal on November 2 and 3, 1946. Speakers reviewed the position of Jehovah’s Witnesses Scripturally and from the standpoint of the law of the land. Then arrangements were announced for a 16-day, coast-to-coast distribution—in English, French, and Ukrainian—of the tract Quebec’s Burning Hate for God and Christ and Freedom Is the Shame of All Canada. It reported in detail the mob violence and other atrocities being committed against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Quebec. This was followed by a second tract, Quebec, You Have Failed Your People!

Arrests in Quebec skyrocketed. To cope with the situation, the Canada branch of the Watch Tower Society set up a legal department with representatives both in Toronto and in Montreal. When news reached the press that Maurice Duplessis, the premier of Quebec, had deliberately ruined the restaurant business of Frank Roncarelli, one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, simply because he provided bail for fellow Witnesses, the Canadian public protested loudly. Then, on March 2, 1947, Jehovah’s Witnesses launched a nationwide campaign inviting the people of Canada to petition the government for a Bill of Rights. Over 500,000 signatures were obtained—the largest petition that had ever been presented to the Canadian Parliament! This was followed, the next year, by an even larger petition to reinforce the first one.

Meanwhile, the Society selected two test cases for appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. One of these, Aimé Boucher v. His Majesty The King, dealt with the charge of sedition that had repeatedly been laid against the Witnesses.

The Boucher case was based on the part that Aimé Boucher, a mild-tempered farmer, had in distributing the tract Quebec’s Burning Hate. Was it seditious for him to make known the mob violence directed against Witnesses in Quebec, the disregard for law on the part of officials who dealt with them, and evidence that the Catholic bishop and others of the Catholic clergy were instigating it?

In analyzing the tract that was distributed, one of the justices of the Supreme Court said: “The document was headed ‘Quebec’s Burning Hate for God and Christ and Freedom Is the Shame of All Canada;’ it consisted first of an invocation to calmness and reason in appraising the matters to be dealt with in support of the heading; then of general references to vindictive persecution accorded in Quebec to the Witnesses as brethren in Christ; a detailed narrative of specific incidents of persecution; and a concluding appeal to the people of the province, in protest against mob rule and gestapo tactics, that, through the study of God’s Word and obedience to its commands, there might be brought about a ‘bounteous crop of the good fruits of love for Him and Christ and human freedom.’”

The decision of the Court nullified the conviction of Aimé Boucher, but three of the five justices merely ordered a new trial. Would that result in an impartial decision in the lower courts? Application was made by counsel for Jehovah’s Witnesses for the Supreme Court itself to rehear the case. Amazingly, this was granted. While the application was pending, the number of judges on the Court was increased, and one of the original judges changed his mind. The result in December 1950 was a 5-to-4 decision fully acquitting Brother Boucher.
At first, this decision was defied by both the solicitor general and the premier (who was also attorney general) of the province of Quebec, but gradually it was enforced through the courts. Thus the charge of sedition that had repeatedly been raised against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Canada was effectively buried.

Yet another test case was appealed to the Canadian Supreme Court—Laurier Saumur v. The City of Quebec. This one confronted the licensing bylaws that were involved in a large number of convictions in the lower courts. In the Saumur case, the Society was seeking a permanent injunction against the city of Quebec to prevent the authorities from interfering with the distribution of religious literature by Jehovah’s Witnesses. On October 6, 1953, the Supreme Court rendered its decision. The answer was “Yes” to Jehovah’s Witnesses, “No” to the province of Quebec. That decision also brought victory in a thousand other cases where the same principle of religious liberty was the governing factor. This opened a new era for the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Quebec.

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Or are we off topic?

Off topic slightly. It does reference the campaign in Quebec from the 40s. 

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

I was a publisher in Canada during part of this time

Living testimonial!

Oh my! You're bringing back thoughts to my mind! I came to the province of Quebec in 1987, and saw the same mentality from the 1950's era in the older generation here. The people who lived back in those days, and hated Jehovah's Witnesses, were still around to a certain extent and still hated us! More than once I felt threatened on someone's doorstep with a man screaming at us, looking like he wanted to put our lights out!

What is really special though, is that there are still a few brothers and sisters around who lived through that tempestuous time in Quebec. They are a treasure to be with and to talk to; their rich spiritual background in the truth is a blessing to us.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/gods-kingdom/conquests/jehovahs-witnesses-court-cases/
I heard stories of my great grandfather bailing the brothers and sister out of jail.

The sister who always assisted with my own study when I was first in the Truth also told me stories. She was 8 years old and remembers having to run to the nearest brother's house down the road to warn them that the authorities were on their way to search them.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I haven't seen the broadcast yet, i didn't realize it discussed so much history!   Or are we off topic? 

:whistling:

The subject, the review of the "Burning Hate" letter and the personal experiences were part of an older brother showing a younger one that we have already gone door-to-door with a 'judgement message' before.  It was scary then but look how it turned out.  

On topic I think.

59 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Featured in the JW October 2023 broadcast. Not my photos, only sharing for educational purposes.

Burning Hate Q.jpeg

Burning Hate.jpeg

Here is the full text:

file:///C:/Users/Patron/Downloads/1946%20-%20Quebec's%20Burning%20Hate.pdf

Edited by Dustparticle

9 minutes ago, Dages said:

So... About this judgement message preparation... What do you think guys?

We better start at once.

"any day now..." Might as well for us to be prepared. Our minds and hearts. Trust in Jehovah. We have been prepared for this with dozens of watchtower articles too. 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, rocket said:

I remember those days. Our meeting would start at 4 PM with an hour or so talk, 10-15 minute smoke break for those who had to have it and then the Watchtower Study.  Meeting not ending till 7 PM many times.  Many improvements since then.

Imagine the brothers (and some sisters) coming back in after the break and reeking of tobacco smoke on their skin, hair, clothes and breath... defiling, to say the least. 

18 minutes ago, Dages said:

The preparation includes the experience shared by brother Rwakabubu.  We are certainly being prepped for something significant.  The music video theme "Can't Hold Back" , the example of Jesus informal witnessing from John 4, really the whole broadcast is training us for something specific, I feel.

When you see smoke it means that a fire has broken out, hasn't it ? I think I saw the smoke.

Did I understand correctly that the message of judgment will be announced as part of the preaching of the Good News and that this message will help some to take a stand? So one facet of this message will be known and proclaimed before and after  the Great Tribulation? This is new, right ? I listened to the Broadcasting  in English so I may have misinterpreted what was said.

Abrahama, Abraham...😍