JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

Dear Brother Robert

I yield to your point of view as it comes from your heart. Through my years though, I've been taught, and I teach others that when making a decision, to go to those setting the lead in dress and grooming, especially those who are in photos appearing in the WT or other publications.

There is a warning for us all to not put others on a pedestal if they are setting unwanted trends for others. And IF that was the case here then displaying an image that could give an unwanted view would indeed be inappropriate. 

But in Brother Sandersons case he's setting a beautiful example of implementing the new change modestly and humbly. Certainly a good example to follow in my opinion.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

15 hours ago, Rodejong said:

I still don't believe that we should have threads that splatter images of brothers wearing beards.

@rodejong

If this content bothers you to that extreme then you do not need to participate

If you have any Scriptural reasons, or something in writing - feel free to provide that for us all

—otherwise it is mostly opinion

—we are all able to have and share our opinion - and sometimes a reference to a spiritual precedence helps me see things from a different angle;

We do have multiple references in writing and in the Scriptures to look to mature Christians for examples and to follow their pattern

since this is a BRAND NEW situation here in the US - I appreciate the wealth of information and images and discussions

it has been a SORE point for many folks here…..for many years

so although some content  is highly humorous

and nothing should be posted that is distasteful or making fun of individuals

I personally appreciate the unaltered pictures of fellow brothers - GB - Helpers - Bethelites - cong publishers

which show variety and modesty …. It helps me formulate some thoughts i can share with local brothers

especially with the 20+ young men in my hall who often request some direction or input

This thread specifically has helped me in numerous discussions

several with older ones who are rigid and not willing to adjust to the changes 

several with young men on the new freedom….and the responsibility to remain modest and presentable

several with sisters explaining/comparing how this can be viewed as momentous for the brothers in the US

and quite a few with appointed brothers on reasonableness, balance, individuality and not going beyond what’s written

I do agree that we all need balance and need to show respect - and hope we continue that in this thread

On 3/12/2024 at 10:47 AM, Bosko said:

Apparently we have an apostle Thomas here on the forum. 🤣

Proverbs 14:15 states: "The naive person believes every word, but the shrewd one ponders each step.” :lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

Funny experience today. We stopped at the Ford dealer to get our car looked at. While there I noticed a young man in his 40s who was bald but was rocking a nice beard. I asked him about his beard. He said I only grew it a few months ago. Then he said in the past he would wear a mustache from time to time but this was the first time growing a beard.

I said when did you start growing it? He said early December. I said "are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?" and he said "Yes!". He goes to a congregation in Longview, Washington. It was funny to identify one of our brothers by a beard! 

There's another twist to the story. I had a major anxiety attack and had to step away from the auto service counter to the area where people were driving up their cars. There were other men in the area that had beards too. Something told to me to talk the employee moving the cars, so I did.

I just realized this a few moments ago. Here I was having an anxiety attack, my heart beating hard, my breathing rapid. I was in full meltdown. And yet I was able to talk to this man, who turned out to be a brother. We had to reschedule our car being repaired for 2 weeks from now. Here's where there is an additional twist. As soon as we got home, we stopped at the grocery store on the way home, my group service overseer called to check on me during his break at his work. I have really struggled the last few days with anxiety, I did not want to even leave the house today. I literally saw the fulfillment of our Year text "“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”PS. 56:3.

Edited by DancesWithWife

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

3 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

Funny experience today. We stopped at the Ford dealer to get our car looked at. While there I noticed a young man in his 40s who was bald but was rocking a nice beard. I asked him about his beard. He said I only grew it a few months ago. Then he said in the past he would wear a mustache from time to time but this was the first time growing a beard.

I said when did you start growing it? He said early December. I said "are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?" and he said "Yes!". He goes to a congregation in Longview, Washington. It was funny to identify one of our brothers by a beard! 

Lately I’ve noticed many men with beards and wondered if they are bros.  

When I used to wash windows I noticed dirty windows more. Same when I was pregnant .... so many pregnant women! 

Now I notice little old red granny cars, men with beards, no ties and women wearing slacks. My how times have changed.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 minutes ago, MullumMiss said:

Lately I’ve noticed many men with beards and wondered if they are bros.  

That could be your new conversation starter...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

No doubt, there will be some females wearing slacks tonight, visitors and maybe sisters. My intended choice is not trousers. Of course, fashion or style is not out main focus, but we still notice a bit. As per the update, many will enjoy greeting or being greeted at the meeting. We are thankful for the privelege and that we have sustenance  and covering to get us through this day.

20 minutes ago, SKnight said:

My my, thank you @Dustparticle He looks very frail, but hope he’s doing okay. I’m sure he’s still mentally sharp though! We’re all just waiting on our gifts or reward; whether Heavenly or Earthly!

He was our DO over 30 years back. Awesome brother.

On 3/25/2024 at 11:58 AM, Dustparticle said:

Welcome Bro Heard to the Beard Club

Where was that picture taken?

Edited by trottigy

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

4 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

I do not check out males, to you he looks cute, but I look better. Even without a beard too.

Prove it. We need pictures...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I always took him for a mustache man and he may in fact be, if it was just on the bucket list. I think that’s true for all of us whether it works for us long term or not we still want to give it a shot. Or maybe he’s one of those that prefers it. We’ll find out a lot within the next couple years as the brothers settle in to their preferences.