JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How much sleep do you get?

A part of my mind always tells me I'm forgetting to do something. So I'm going to bed around 1 am.

And it's not insomnia, it's just my ADHD at work. After I lie down I sleep quickly. I think I'm sleeping about 5 hours a day. I can feel the effects of it the next day.

I get tired out playing fetch with Bandit. I throw the ball, he may or may not go get it. If he does he only brings it so far toward me then drops it well out of reach.  I heard that’s a Jack Russell thing. 😬 So I have to go fetch them and it starts all over again.

Yes, Bandit loves playing with 🏀 . Course I get more tired than he ever does. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I’ve been taking Melatonin for years. 😬 Doesn’t necessarily stop insomnia but when I do sleep it’s a good sleep. 

Going to a new doctor next week. Hopefully he’ll be a good one. 

I’m done with the so called doctors here in town. Useless. A number of sisters feel the same way.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, WestBro said:

A part of my mind always tells me I'm forgetting to do something. So I'm going to bed around 1 am.

And it's not insomnia, it's just my ADHD at work. After I lie down I sleep quickly. I think I'm sleeping about 5 hours a day. I can feel the effects of it the next day.

I am like this too, I hate it. Also after about 9pm my brain is a LOT less efficient and just winding down the day enough to get in bed (tidying up/cleaning up the kitchen, making sure my daughter is in bed on time, taking meds, putting a load of laundry, getting myself ready for bed) takes forever, and I am way more likely to get sidetracked and then get stuck online for a million years thinking "I need to go to sleep. It's time to stop and go to sleep" until I'm finally able to act on it.  I think a lot of my health problems are a result of years of not getting enough sleep! If anyone else has experienced this and figured out a way to overcome it, I wanna know how.

I get anywhere from 5-7 hours of sleep a night, but I need 8 hours to function the way I need to.

Edited by Esined

I have an internal clock that gets me up around 6:30 am.  I normally go to bed around 9 and then wake up around 2 or 3. I'm up for about an hour or 2 then finally go back to sleep, then i'm up at 6:30.  How much is that?  LOL 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

It's nice that some people don't seem to need much sleep. I go to bed at around 10:30 and get up at 7. On weekends, I go to bed a little later (11:00) and I still get up at 7:00. And I take 3/4 naps a week. It's been like that since I hit puberty. Sometimes I'm too tired to do fun things in the afternoon because I missed my nap for a few days.

6 hours ago, Esined said:

just winding down the day enough to get in bed (tidying up/cleaning up the kitchen, making sure my daughter is in bed on time, taking meds, putting a load of laundry, getting myself ready for bed) takes forever, and I am way more likely to get sidetracked and then get stuck online for a million years thinking "I need to go to sleep.

What Is The Sleep-Wake Cycle One Should Have?

Dr. Arun Kotaru* said, "The best time for sleeping, known as the optimal sleep-wake cycle, majorly depends on an individual's circadian rhythm, which is their internal body clock. Most adults should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night, and the ideal sleep time typically falls between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM, that aligns with the natural light-dark cycle. This timing allows for the most restorative sleep because it synchronizes with the body's circadian rhythm, promoting the release of melatonin (a sleep hormone) when it's dark and cortisol (a wakefulness hormone) during the day."

* Consultant, Respiratory/ Pulmonology & Sleep Medicine, at Artemis Hospitals

Why Do Electronic Devices Keep You Up?

Electronic back-lit devices like cell phones, tablets, readers, and computers emit short-wavelength enriched light, also known as blue light. Fluorescent and LED lights  also emit blue light, which has been shown to reduce or delay the natural production of melatonin in the evening and decrease feelings of sleepiness. Blue light can also reduce the amount of time you spend in slow-wave and rapid-eye movement (REM) sleep, two stages of the sleep cycle that are vital for cognitive functioning.

Spoiler

I think you are cramming too much activities in the hours after winding up for the day. Light exercises is ok. Better to take a book and do some light reading to help induce sleepiness. Stay away from electronic devices.

Edited by Imagine

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

Ever since I was in High School, I have only needed about 5 hours of sleep - at 71 years old I am still that way

I was pretty much the same, 4 to 5hrs was plenty...Now, closing in on 70yrs, I can sleep longer if I allow myself to, 8 or 10hrs if I want to.

The problem with that is I feel pretty sluggish the rest of the day..

The trick, for me, is hit the sack about midnight or so and then get up when I wake up naturally.

If I stay in bed and fall back to sleep it messes me up.

I average around 6.5 to 7.0 hrs now...

4 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I can sleep longer if I allow myself to, 8 or 10hrs if I want to.

The problem with that is I feel pretty sluggish the rest of the day..

No Doubt Yes GIF by The3Flamingosexactly GIFSpot On Slam Dunk GIF

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I'm getting really intrigued, why are the older ones getting better sleep than the younger ones?

I used to think it should be the reverse,infact the common understanding is that the quality of sleep reduces as one gets older.

Do the older ones have some personal sleep secretes they want to share? 

😔I pray to Jehovah to help me fall asleep most nights.., I can not do it on my own. Watching national news and seeing prophecy unfold around me I feel myself becoming anxious or distressed. I need to “calm down🫨”. Either I reach for the Ciroc & Ice, or go to Jehovah in prayer, so I choose the latter. Recently I had a accident where a motorcycle 🏍️ hit me, and both airbags exploded on both sides of my vehicle, the left side and right side. As my vehicle moved to the side of the road I could see the individual laying in the road behind me., I thought he was dead. Sooo now I have PTSD! I can sympathize with anyone who has fought in war, ADHD, who has experienced trauma, anxieties and depression. Seems like I have to fight just to go to sleep 🛌.., something should come naturally. Which is why I’m up now.., But having this forum for the friends around the organization to discuss and share their experiences with each other is a great blessing. Definitely having our great elders shepherding the community and keeping a watchful eye on the flock, per say, you can’t ask for more. 
But that Ciroc does look good right now (heeheehee)🤭🤭🤭

Woke up around 4:30. I'm probably up for the day... Sometimes lil things effect my sleep. My daughter is starting a work from home job and some equipment arrived for her yesterday.  It was used by a previous employee and when I walked in the house I immediately smelled the box.  I'm not sure what the scent is but it has worked its way through our venting system and it woke me up a bit ago.  No one else smells it which is unreal to me because to me it's so strong. 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

I have always been an early riser.  I once had a job that required me to be at work at 4 AM.  I loved it.   I would finish my eight hours at 12:30 PM.  I would normally get sleepy around 6 PM, but that wasn't a problem.

I once had a job working from 10 PM to 6:30 AM. I changed to a job working from 6 AM to 2:30 PM.  I couldn't find my alarm clock so I just didn't use one.  I was waking up every morning in plenty of time to get to work. One morning I woke up a little late.  I rushed through the shower, fixed lunch in a rush, ate breakfast quickly, and got to work 5 minutes late.   Fortunately, they gave us a 5-minute leeway on the work schedule.  That evening I went home and hunted for my alarm clock.

I have been wearing a Letsfit watch for about 2 years.  It shows total sleep time and then shows the time I was awake during the night.  If I wake up 3 or 4 times for a total of 1:00 to 1:30, I take that total away from the 8 hours the watch lists as sleep duration.  I normally get about 6:45 hours most nights.

I’m an early riser so like to go to bed earlyish.  So bed at around 8-30-9pm rise anywhere between 5-6.  I tend to wake up the same time even if I go to bed late.  Being 60+ I tend to get up a couple of times during the night for loo visits.  On occasions I wake anywhere between 2-4 and cannot go back to sleep so I make myself a hot milo and read.  Next night I have an early night and sleep well.  If I’m particularly tired during the day I’ll have a nap.

I would need at least 8 hours of sleep to be well-rested enough. Reality looks different. I rarely get more than 5-6 hours of sleep. (Right now it's an exception because I'm on vacation and can sleep in in the morning. Feels like paradise, but will end on January 8th.). I've had trouble sleeping since my separation/divorce. It's difficult to fall asleep because from the moment I go to bed, my brain starts processing things - and I can't turn it off. I try to avoid this problem by only going to bed when I can barely keep my eyes open, so that I might fall asleep faster and give my brain less time for such things. But falling asleep is not the only problem. Sleeping through the night is also a challenge. I often dream depressing or at least very confusing things - then I wake up and I am so upset that I find it difficult to fall asleep again. Therefore, I need regular naps during the day to catch up on sleep. That's why I'm very grateful that I work from home a lot so that I can interrupt my work for a nap. 

Chrissy :wave: