JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you feel about political correctness?

I have noticed in recent years that many people are afraid to say how they really feel because they are afraid of getting crucified on social media and being shut down during conversation.

In the era before social media, people used to be more open and to say exactly what they mean, and to mean what they say, an be straight up with no beating around the bush.

Many news reports laid straight facts, not propaganda based on a narrative to avoid offending people.

Now people get offended about the tiniest things, and you constantly have to walk on eggshells nowadays when you speak to them, otherwise they quickly get frazzled and go off. I have even seen this among some of the friends from time to time.

Have you noticed this? How does it affect you?

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk

I applaud the intent and correctness to be polite and respectful to each other.

However, I consistently experience 2 problems.

1. 'They' have no moral compass. So the 'correctness' is on their terms.

2. Linked with point 1. There seems to be little reciprocal respect for those that hold to a different view. 

So if I politely acknowledge the person 'right' to choose a particular persuasion, I wish to be afforded the same opportunity to choose a different path for me and my family. This often is a sticking point for them (imo).

ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵTone" userid="10068"] I applaud the intent and correctness to be polite and respectful to each other.
However, I consistently experience 2 problems.
1. 'They' have no moral compass. So the 'correctness' is on their terms.
2. Linked with point 1. There seems to be little reciprocal respect for those that hold to a different view. 
So if I politely acknowledge the person 'right' to choose a particular persuasion, I wish to be afforded the same opportunity to choose a different path for me and my family. This often is a sticking point for them (imo).

Good point, more often than not you are expected to conform to the majority opinion (gay marriage and rights, for example), and anyone who stands out as different is considered wrong and pressured to change their views.

Exodus 23:2a-“You must not follow after the crowd to do evil.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see rights as our responsibilities. We have freeness of speech, because we've assumed the responsibility that we be considerate of the feelings and conscience of others. Therefore any 'hate speech' law, stringent policy against some kind of '-phobia', or policies that compel speech (such as "mis-gendering" laws), that's part of the political correctness conditioning, not only strips us of our God given right to choose our words when speaking, but robs us of the responsibility that comes with it. It also robs those reading or listening to speech the responsibility of not being too easily offended. 

Edited by Katty

I hate political correctness. In the world, it doesn't bother me as much as in the congregation. We, too, have been conditioned for being political correct. Sometimes it's difficult to speak about unpolitically correct disciplining (spanking), vaccines (any and all), recreation, etc. But being only 30, it's been this way all of my life. To cope with the problem, I have a good friend or two, and I also have a great husband who listens to me whether or not he agrees.

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

In the world, it doesn't bother me as much as in the congregation.

I completely agree. But the thing is, so far as there are a group of people in a place there's going to be people like that (You know, the type of people who can't just agree to disagree and live you to your Bible trained conscience). Hopefully it'll stop in the new world. 

Edited by Kwabena

“I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” John 17:15, 16

In these challenging times, we find ourselves deeply impacted by the circumstances and ideologies that surround us. Concepts like being 'woke' or 'anti-woke,' political correctness or anti-political correctness seem to dominate the world's discourse, particularly in the United States.

Proverbs 21:2: All of a man’s ways seem right to him, But Jehovah examines the hearts.

Proverbs 21:2 reminds us that we often believe our actions and words are right, but it is Jehovah who examines our hearts. It's true that our perception of what is right is shaped by various factors such as gender, ethnicity, nationality, race, language, and even our upbringing, whether rich or poor.

If we were born in a different area, what we believe is right at our core would be different; it’s so arbitrary. This is why we need a benevolent dictator to set matters straight.

Isaiah 1:2–4: Jehovah does that for us. We don’t fight each other, but even deeper, we don’t learn war anymore (things that divide people).

Jehovah sets us straight: We love people (Mark 12:31), even our enemies (Matthew 5:43–46). As far as it depends upon us, we are peaceful with everyone (Romans 12:18). If meat causes my brother to stumble, I will not eat meat (1 Corinthians 8:12–13). We don’t need the world to tell us what's right. We have God’s word.

Woke, anti-woke, political correctness, and anti-political correctness are not our problem. A friend in the congregation told me she did not see a movie because it was “woke.” I said your taste in movies is your choice, but I asked, do you subscribe to that ideology? What would people identify you with if you go around using that word?

Maintaining strict neutrality is crucial in these challenging times, and it's a principle for which Jesus prayed on our behalf, knowing that we would remain in this world, surrounded by the influence of the evil one.

What's ironic is that people use the word "woke" as something derogatory when the actual meaning of it as slang is anything but.  In the Black community "woke" = "aware". In tune with what was going on... "awake", if you will.  That's all.  It wasn't political.

When other communities started using it, it became dismissive, synonymous with overly sensitive, or even something that was trying to be respectful of a person or a group. The media adopted it and it became another word for "liberal" in the political sense.

But that was not the way from the beginning.  Same with "politically correct".  What started as an attempt to stop using humiliating, offensive words or situations to describe or communicate with marginalized groups now seems to hinder the speech of those who would seem to rather continue doing so.  How *does* one "really feel" when being woke or politically correct would stifle them?  Are others weak because we should respect them?

It's a sign of the wicked times we live in... that hoping to be respectful, kind, un-bigoted, inclusive has quickly become something that even we as Witnesses are sensitive about - when that's we're supposed to BE about.

I don't use the word "woke" simply because I'm not really into slang.  But I do know what it means.  Or at least, what it meant.. :( 

These days I  just call it insanity... 😮‍💨 I  mean who walks around calling themselves a cat and demands that others do so as well and getmad when people won't... true story... sadly 

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I do know what it means.  Or at least, what it meant

This covers many words ... think "gay" - used to mean happy, now it doesn't. Many other words have undergone the same type of changes.

As for "woke" ... I start each day that way - I woke up late today but I woke up quite early yesterday ... I woke up each day for as long as I can remember.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Hope said:

In tune with what was going on... "awake", if you will.

I used to ask the friends that would bring up 'woke' in a derogatory way about our Awake magazine that we read and sometimes offer and why that was the title... Now I tend to remind them about neutrality and try to move the conversation elsewhere.

After all, is it so bad to be aware of what Eccl 8:9 said so many centuries ago "All of this I have seen, and I applied my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, during the time that man has dominated man to his harm."?

6 minutes ago, Hope said:

But that was not the way from the beginning.  Same with "politically correct".  What started as an attempt to stop using humiliating, offensive words or situations to describe or communicate with marginalized groups now seems to hinder the speech of those who would seem to rather continue doing so.  How *does* one "really feel" when being woke or politically correct would stifle them?  Are others weak because we should respect them?

It's a sign of the wicked times we live in... that hoping to be respectful, kind, un-bigoted, inclusive has quickly become something that even we as Witnesses are sensitive about - when that's we're supposed to BE about.

Quoting because this is such an important point. Political Correctness is an attempt to force adherence to principles like Col 4:6 "Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt,  so that you will know how you should answer each person." and Matt 22:37-40 "He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’38 This is the greatest and first commandment.39 The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.” Like anything in this system of things, making a law out of principles never works, it can go too far and take on a life of its own.

These things are like allergic reactions, the symptoms can get worse than the cause, the symptoms are what we go seeking relief for. At times we ignore the root cause or cannot do anything about the source of the allergic reaction.

In the end though I keep in mind that all of these people are "sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done in the city.” (Ezek 9:4). How can we use this to reach their hearts?

On 1/1/2024 at 1:05 PM, IcemanEli said:

I have noticed in recent years that many people are afraid to say how they really feel because they are afraid of getting crucified on social media and being shut down during conversation.

In the era before social media, people used to be more open and to say exactly what they mean, and to mean what they say, an be straight up with no beating around the bush.

Many news reports laid straight facts, not propaganda based on a narrative to avoid offending people.

Now people get offended about the tiniest things, and you constantly have to walk on eggshells nowadays when you speak to them, otherwise they quickly get frazzled and go off. I have even seen this among some of the friends from time to time.

Have you noticed this? How does it affect you?

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk

I was looking for a specific example but absent from that - I think the slave does a really good job with this.

We won't compromise on Bible principles, but we can take others feelings into consideration. For example, with "prison witnessing" we use the term "incarcerated person" instead of prisoner and we also call them "facilities" - while keeping the main training brochure title as "Prison Witnessing". It seems there can be a balance between not intentionally being offense, but also not compromising our beliefs.

Eggshells - well were are used to that eh? 1 Peter 3:15 sets a nice balance:

But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I met a woman in h>h ministry a few weeks ago that was ranting about the “snowflake generation” who get offended over things. Rather than give my opinion on the issues she raised (such as LGBT+) I focused on how it made her felt and asked her if she thought there was hope for the future. She eventually simmered down and then we had a good conversation. 

It’s not always necessary to give our opinion, especially when some of these issues are rooted in politics. I think it’s best to be neutral about things and let it go over our head rather than get involved in what popular option is. 

14 hours ago, Hope said:

What's ironic is that people use the word "woke" as something derogatory when the actual meaning of it as slang is anything but.  In the Black community "woke" = "aware". In tune with what was going on... "awake", if you will.  That's all.  It wasn't political.

When people are called "woke" today, the person or persons using the word do not realize that Jesus himself would be called "woke" by those same people.  The Bible teachings fit into the category that they often refer to as "woke."  If I follow the example of Jesus Christ, I guess that would make me "woke" also.

17 hours ago, jake3328 said:

“I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” John 17:15, 16

In these challenging times, we find ourselves deeply impacted by the circumstances and ideologies that surround us. Concepts like being 'woke' or 'anti-woke,' political correctness or anti-political correctness seem to dominate the world's discourse, particularly in the United States.

Proverbs 21:2: All of a man’s ways seem right to him, But Jehovah examines the hearts.

Proverbs 21:2 reminds us that we often believe our actions and words are right, but it is Jehovah who examines our hearts. It's true that our perception of what is right is shaped by various factors such as gender, ethnicity, nationality, race, language, and even our upbringing, whether rich or poor.

If we were born in a different area, what we believe is right at our core would be different; it’s so arbitrary. This is why we need a benevolent dictator to set matters straight.

Isaiah 1:2–4: Jehovah does that for us. We don’t fight each other, but even deeper, we don’t learn war anymore (things that divide people).

Jehovah sets us straight: We love people (Mark 12:31), even our enemies (Matthew 5:43–46). As far as it depends upon us, we are peaceful with everyone (Romans 12:18). If meat causes my brother to stumble, I will not eat meat (1 Corinthians 8:12–13). We don’t need the world to tell us what's right. We have God’s word.

Woke, anti-woke, political correctness, and anti-political correctness are not our problem. A friend in the congregation told me she did not see a movie because it was “woke.” I said your taste in movies is your choice, but I asked, do you subscribe to that ideology? What would people identify you with if you go around using that word?

Maintaining strict neutrality is crucial in these challenging times, and it's a principle for which Jesus prayed on our behalf, knowing that we would remain in this world, surrounded by the influence of the evil one.

You do make good points. I think a lot of this comes down to being socially neutral, which I didn't realize was a thing until a brother in our congregation gave a talk and mentioned being socially neutral, because the way the world does things is none of our business. While I don't use the term "woke", I'm not sure if it would align anyone with any one particular ideology. The people who are labelled as woke, tend to all have one cohesive political ideology, whereas those who object to it, tend to be from many various religious and political stances. I don't think there is one single group that uses that word. That being said, I do agree we should be careful about the language we use: I don't use that word, because it's vague, and means different things to different people, and comes across as a bit slangy, in my opinion. It's probably better to state the specific aspect of "wokeness" you object to, such as: that film promoted racial divisiveness, normalized immorality, or promoted the idea of women being in charge over men. Those reasons are understandable reasons for a Christian to not see a film. 

19 minutes ago, Katty said:

You do make good points. I think a lot of this comes down to being socially neutral, which I didn't realize was a thing until a brother in our congregation gave a talk and mentioned being socially neutral, because the way the world does things is none of our business. While I don't use the term "woke", I'm not sure if it would align anyone with any one particular ideology. The people who are labelled as woke, tend to all have one cohesive political ideology, whereas those who object to it, tend to be from many various religious and political stances. I don't think there is one single group that uses that word. That being said, I do agree we should be careful about the language we use: I don't use that word, because it's vague, and means different things to different people, and comes across as a bit slangy, in my opinion. It's probably better to state the specific aspect of "wokeness" you object to, such as: that film promoted racial divisiveness, normalized immorality, or promoted the idea of women being in charge over men. Those reasons are understandable reasons for a Christian to not see a film. 

I will add, though, that the word can be divisive. This is my biggest fear on political correctness, especially as the trends are that the rules are applying to increasingly innocuous things like gendered language, in order to be inclusive to people who think gender is not binary. My fear is that some people will say it's not inclusive to refer to our brothers and sisters as "brother" or "sister" and push a gender neutral alternative, and that the other person might state "stop being 'woke'". 

I do avoid using words that are offensive to other people.  I read the book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and it is better to deal with people without using words that offend them.  You can't start a conversation by telling people they are wrong even if they are wrong.

Very old saying, 'You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.'  

Edited by Witness1970

On 1/2/2024 at 1:59 PM, BlaqueCalalilly said:

These days I  just call it insanity... 😮‍💨 I  mean who walks around calling themselves a cat and demands that others do so as well and getmad when people won't... true story... sadly 

If someone hit that person with a car...is it considered manslaughter or roadkill? Do you have to find their owner?

Just kidding, but seriously...what a world.:facepalmpo2:

On 1/2/2024 at 1:43 PM, Hope said:

When other communities started using it, it became dismissive, synonymous with overly sensitive, or even something that was trying to be respectful of a person or a group. The media adopted it and it became another word for "liberal" in the political sense.

I don't use the word "woke" simply because I'm not really into slang.  But I do know what it means.  Or at least, what it meant.. :( 

Thank you! I couldn’t have said it better myself. If I could thank your post 10 times I would. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I try not to offend people unnecessarily but there is no way to please everyone. A lot of people want to be offended and they will find any reason to be offended. Then again, sometimes it's good to speak clearly. Jesus was considerate most of the time, but at times he made some very controversial statements to see how his listeners reacted. Besides, he didn't mince words when dealing with religious leaders who were actually apostates.

I like some of the ideas mentioned in this topic: We don't have to give our opinion or express our disagreement all the time. We can listen to people respectfully even if we don't agree with their ideas. And we can imitate Jesus and present Bible truths in a way that makes them more palatable for them... or leave more controversial points for later. On the other hand, it's not necessary to be too concerned if some people are offended by Bible truths.

I recently came across a scripture that applies well to this kind of situation: "A fool immediately shows his annoyance, But the shrewd man overlooks an insult" (Proverbs 12:16).