JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

1 hour ago, Dark King said:

Can someone tell me why we don't Wear hats at the meetings? Brothers or sisters?

I am guessing you are younger...

If you remember all the old Black & White movies, men would take their hats off when going indoors. This was especially the case when entering a church. 

They also stood when women entered the room...

Why one custom disappeared and not the other is beyond me.

It's more a cultural thing than a scriptural obligation. (High priests wore head gear.)

I think you will not find much in print in our articles...

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

9 hours ago, Dark King said:

I asked because last week I was visiting another congregation and one the Brothers pulled me in the back and told me baptized brothers do not wear hats in the meeting. And that I had to take my hat off. 

It's just a cultural thing. There is nothing scripturally wrong in wearing a hat inside the KH. But in Western societies men are usually expected to take off their hats when entering a building in sign of respect.

If the brothers in that area you visited will be offended by you wearing a hat in the KH, you did well to take it off. :)

I definitely wouldn't take any visitor to the back and tell them what they couldn't wear to a meeting. It sounds like someone made a minor mistake, it's nice that you are willing to forgive, forget and move on.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 hours ago, Dark King said:

Can someone tell me why we don't Wear hats at the meetings? Brothers or sisters?

In the US - especially in the South - it considered as having proper manners and respectful for a male to remove his hat indoors

(we are talking in general not only witness gathering)

In NY and NJ I attended many congregation meetings that sisters wore hats....if memory serves...it was often the older generation and often those that had lived in the southern states

the only time anything was mentioned was when the sister's hat was Large and blocked someones view

but I have  seen brothers wearing hats - to combat extreme temperatures

outdoors in service for the cold and heat (US and Europe and Caribbean) 

indoors @ Assembly - in Europe (fedora type mostly)

in the US south restaurants and even KH had special racks/hooks/shelves for your cowboy hat....🤠

regarding prayer - only the one praying needs to remove head covering

In LDC we were reminded that in certain circumstances - sanctity for life and safety might mean leaving the HardHat on during prayer

in the past some brother would actually begin their RBC/LDC prayers by saying "lets remove our hats...."

but we had a reminder that it is not necessary, actually stems from some customs in false religion

---we learn some wonderful things during construction projects

Edited by DarinS

spelling

Even in prayer, it is only in public prayer when we are representing the group.  There was a picture in the watchtower one time of a brother on a city bus bowing his head and saying a quick prayer.  He was wearing a baseball cap.  It was the first time I ever saw that.

If we came to the dinner table with a hat on, my father would ask if our head was cold (indication to take it off).  I still remove any hat when I go inside the hall.  There are many who wear hats inside at sporting events, bars or pubs or at a work environment (employment).

EDIT: an Annual Meeting picture (no hats).

AM2014.jpg

Edited by jwhess

13 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Even in prayer, it is only in public prayer when we are representing the group.  

Scriptural basis, please?

Curious why it would apply only to the one praying and not those agreeing with their 'Amen'.

19 minutes ago, Doug said:

Scriptural basis, please?

1 Corinthians 11:4 "Every man who prays or prophesies with something on his head shames his head."

w77 127

"Accordingly, neither a man nor a woman would Scripturally be obliged to apply the directions about head covering when saying a private prayer to God. If a woman with head uncovered were doing housework and paused to pray, she would not need to cover her head. Similarly, a Christian man walking down the street with a hat on might offer a prayer to God. If his own personal feelings urged him to remove his hat, he should do so. But God’s counsel about head covering does not specifically require it.

What about prayers in congregational activities or in the family? In line with the principle of headship, if a baptized man is present, he should offer prayer with his head uncovered. That is true in the family even when just husband and wife join in prayer."

Edited by Ysaias

Correct a word.

44 minutes ago, jwhess said:

EDIT: an Annual Meeting picture (no hats).

AM2014.jpg

John, can’t you see?  there are 2 brothers and 3 sister in the  back row on the balcony wearing hats.  :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

12 minutes ago, Ysaias said:

1 Corinthians 11:4 "Every man who prays or prophesies with something on his head shames his head."

w77 127

Yes, but 1Cor 11:4 doesn't make any distinction whether praying privately, with your wife, or for the congregation.

Curiously, a woman covers her head on certain occasions as a sign of submission.  But a man uncovers his head on certain occasions as a sign of submission.

Have we ever seen an image of a pre-Christian Bible character without a head covering (usually fabric with a headband) ?  It's hard to think of one.  Possibly Daniel when he prayed on the balcony. 

Did Moses remove his head covering when he publicly prayed for Israel?  Was there anything in the Law about it?

But images of Jesus and his followers are always with the head uncovered.  Why?

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I definitely wouldn't take any visitor to the back and tell them what they couldn't wear to a meeting. It sounds like someone made a minor mistake, it's nice that you are willing to forgive, forget and move on.

Yes, I was very forgiving. And Yes I took my hat off right away. 

Thanks 

17 hours ago, Dark King said:

I asked because last week I was visiting another congregation and one the Brothers pulled me in the back and told me baptized brothers do not wear hats in the meeting. And that I had to take my hat off. 

I have never heard of this before.🥺

Respect and reverence