JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am leaving in a few minutes to go see it. I have heard from those that have seen it that it paints Jehovah's Witnesses in a favorable light. Pun intended. The movie gives a good Witness even though there is some foul language but as she said in an interview that was how she talked before she become a Witness.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I also just saw it and it was better than I expected. Did you catch the cameo appearance by the real "Margaret"?

She was sitting on a park bench in the background of a scene in the park.

I would have missed the cameo appearance if I hadn't been alerted ahead of time. There were only two theaters within 15 miles of us that are showing the movie and they are small ones at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't delve into why her art changed from sad faces to happy ones but still I thought the movie was worth seeing.

So is the name "Jehovah" ever mentioned or are Jehovah's Witnesses ever portrayed in the film or is it just hinted at?

Jehovah is mentioned a few times after Margaret started studying, I assume she had just been studying since there was no mention of her being baptized. In the film she is living in Hawaii and two sisters call on her door with the "truth" book. It was very realistic and even put us in a favorable light.

Edited by Musky

The Movie leaves off at the beginning of her spiritual journey to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. The awake article tells what happens next. Awake 1975 7/8 My Life as a Famous Artist

Gradually I was convinced from the Bible that the Almighty God is Jehovah, the Father (not the Son), and as I studied I began to rebuild my shattered faith, this time on the true foundation. But as my knowledge and faith began to grow, pressures began to mount. My husband threatened to leave me, and other close family members were extremely upset. As I began to see the requirements of being a true Christian, I looked for a way out because I did not think I could ever witness to strangers or go from door to door to talk to others about God.
My daughter, who was now studying in a nearby town, was progressing much faster. Her progress, in fact, became another obstacle to me. She believed so completely in what she was learning that she wanted to work toward becoming a missionary. Visions of my only child in a far-off country frightened me, and I decided that I must protect her from doing something so drastic. So I began to search for a flaw. I felt that if I could find something this organization was teaching that was not backed up by the Bible I could convince my daughter.
With my knack for details the search was thorough. I ended up acquiring over ten different translations of the Bible, three concordances and many other Bible dictionaries and reference books to supplement books from the library. I received a strange “help” from my husband, who often brought home books and booklets that were derogatory to the Witnesses. I pored over them, carefully weighing everything they said. But I never found the flaw.
Instead, the falsity of the Trinity doctrine, as well as the fact that the Witnesses know and make known the name of the Father, the true God, also their love for one another and their strict adherence to the Scriptures, convinced me that I had found the true religion. I could not help but be deeply impressed by the contrast between Jehovah’s witnesses and the other religions on the matter of finances.
In time, my daughter and I were baptized, together with about forty others, on August 5, 1972, in the beautiful blue Pacific Ocean—a day I will never forget. She has now moved back home so she can devote her full time to service as a Witness here in Hawaii. My husband is still with us and even marvels at the changes in both of us.

Edited by lynn

thanks to you friends for the feedback & reviews

if anyone can be more specific regarding the 'language'...

taking 3 70-80 yr old sisters with me to see this movie.

or you may PM me,

thanks again :)

good to hear the name of our God finally makes the big screen again.

been too long.

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

thanks to you friends for the feedback & reviews

if anyone can be more specific regarding the 'language'...
  taking 3 70-80 yr old sisters with me to see this movie.
  or you may PM me,
  thanks again :)

good to hear the name of our God finally makes the big screen again.
    been too long.

There were a few swear words but not every other word like a lot of movies. The IQ finger once, the F word once and that's all the real bad ones I can remember.

This is part of an forwarded email I received from friends. It was sent to them from Margaret Keane's son in law. It explains a little more about the movie, I removed some personal information:

I want to tell you more about my wife Jane.  Her Mom, my mother-in-law, is Margaret Keane McGuire.  A major motion picture has been made about her and her daughter, my wife Jane, and it is premiering across the United States right now.  It’s a movie called “Big Eyes” and actually all three of us have cameo appearances in the movie as extras.  Amy Adams plays my mother in law Margaret (she does a fabulous job) and two young girls play both young Jane and teenage Jane, Delaney Raye and Madeleine Arthur.

We have been living pretty exciting times lately involved in the movie and also full-time pioneers in our congregation.  Anyway, I want to say something here about this movie and I recommend that you go see it:

Regarding the movie, especially when communicating with fellow Witnesses, we feel compelled to make the following statement:

This new movie “Big Eyes”, set for its public premiere on Dec. 25th, is a worldly movie with some language in it in a few key places that reflects the world and that we certainly did not approve of.  However, it does handle the biographic material of Margaret’s life, her character, and her becoming one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, in a manner that, all things considered, we feel has redeeming value.  We hope Jehovah feels it does, too, for his name is mentioned several times in the movie and by the actors in various interviews and review articles.  It depicts a woman’s search for honesty and truth.  It brings together two contrasting world views where, in the end, the more wholesome view wins

Edited by Musky

My mom and dad met Sister Keane at a District Convention a few years ago and they talked with her. She invited them to visit in her house once. She even gave them an original painting which my mom absolutely cherishes. :)

Edited by SacramentoBrother

thank you Lynn & Musky :flowers:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I would have missed the cameo appearance if I hadn't been alerted ahead of time. There were only two theaters within 15 miles of us that are showing the movie and they are small ones at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't delve into why her art changed from sad faces to happy ones but still I thought the movie was worth seeing.

So, what is the cameo?

So, what is the cameo?

There is a scene where the real Margaret is sitting on a park bench. The other two people's cameo appearance, your guess is as good as mine. There were a ton of extras in the movie. Someone else on the forum may know them well enough to give it up.

We went to see it and really enjoyed it. Like others have said, there were three or four swear parts. Then you get to the end and she takes the Truth. They don't go into much detail on that part, but you can tell that Sister Keane had a big part in ensuring the script was right. The two witnesses who knock at her door had a real-life presentation and they read 2 Tim. 3:1. The husband says she is a religious fanatic and is involved with Jehovah's Witnesses. And her daughter asks 'Is Jehovah ok with suing?' All in all it was well portrayed and I would recommend it. It was such a nice feeling to hear Jehovah's name on the big screen.