JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

Lloyd, for me specific amounts of ingredients isn't always necessary as long as I know the 'how' of a recipe. I'm like your wife, I cook by experience and 'feel'. I guess that's why I'm such a terrible baker, not good with a measuring cup!

The cauliflower pizza crust is new to me too but I just saw it done and it's fairly easy so I'm game for it.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

:D Just discovered this thread and here's my enthusiastic "Go Low Carb!"

The wife and I have been on it for a while now - she lost 60 pounds and I lost 50. Until the boredom set in and we started adding french fries and pizza crust here and there and reached the dreaded plateau. My doctor recently told me to get back on it for real, though, and so I have. He said it's the only diet he's seen actually reverse diabetes. Along with that, he described refined sugar and flour as on  a par with the most abused, most addictive drugs out there.

Lloyd - my wife does wonders with almond flour and flax seed meal! Muffins and even pound cake you can't tell have no flour in them.

Brother Lloyd when I read your posts and look at your avatar all I can think about are braised chicken wings. You look exactly like the NFL commentator...can't remember his name...but boy do those wings come to mind.  

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Here is one recipe for Cauliflower crust.   

Since we don't measure my son just does it by feel. 

we take 1 cauliflower head and grate it (we do not have a food processor) 

then we cook in microwave till soft. The secret is next and that is to ring it out with a towel. to get rid of moisture.

then he uses 1 egg, cheese (we mix different kinds but mozzarella works) about 1/2 cup (we like it cheesy)

then we add garlic powder and Italian seasoning. 

Then press it till about 1/3 inch thick on wax paper, or you can directly press to a pizza stone (oiled) bake about 15 minutes then flip it and bake about 7 minutes then top with whatever your palette desires, and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Lloyd

I know what you mean, whenever any books bring up the evolution or hunter gatherer thing it does get annoying.

For those looking for recipes we use YouTube to see how its done and also search primal/paleo for different ones.  We saw one not long ago for a bread free sandwich wrap it was simply taking different meats, cheeses, and veggies of choice and mustard, mayo and making a wrap/roll with the meat the person did it in foil, I have done it using the safe wax paper then taped it. Here is the link 

the beginning is goofy so you might want to skip to the around the 2 min. mark. 

Here are some websites with recipes we like (she has numerous ones on the site and then a few books that we really like the recipes from)

http://marmaladeandmileposts.com/ Carries books have some great recipes in them my husband was not big into veggies but we have tried numerous ones from the book smoothies and sides and the soup book. 

This ice cream recipe is a big winner in our house https://www.bulletproofexec.com/get-some-ice-cream/  I am not promoting the name of this ice cream  :blush:

That should help some. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have read about wheat how it's been genetically modified to have extra gluten so it is stickier, which suits big industrial machines that need to knead the dough quicker. Also, they add more yeast to the industrial bread/pizza machines so that they don't need to wait so long for the dough to raise as it used to when it was made by hand. Snag is that more sticky gluten gets gluey in your stomach and is more difficult to digest as normal enzymes struggle to cope with it. More and more of us can no longer digest it and have become intolerant and bloat out after eating it, or have even become allergic to it. More yeast that doesn't get properly cooked out also causes digestive issues. 

Such a shame that mankind has messed with so many of the food gifts God created for us. I haven't been able to digest wheat bread for some time and am also low carb so enjoy sharing/collecting low-carb recipes. 

• 1 month later...

So, I am interested in this diet now... Any idea on how to start?

Definitely log what you eat in a notebook or phone app. Carbs and calories sneak into our diet in various ways. Carbs is what we want to focus more on. People think that this is the all meat and cheese diet, but this isn't so. While you don't have to pay much mind to meats and cheeses (and fat is tasty and makes you feel full longer) you cannot leave out healthy vegetables. Some of them, like leafy greens, you can eat crazy amounts of because of the fiber count. Fiber carbs do not count in a controlled carb diet. For example, if a food label says....

Carbs.... 10

Fiber.......5

Sugar......2

Other......3

... then you count it as 5 carbs (10 total minus 5 fiber equals 5 remaining "net carbs"). Fiber has a minimal impact on you, since it is by and large indigestible.

Some people try to start by keep their net carb count at 20 per day, others 25 or 30, etc. Make sure you get close to the carb goal +/- a couple grams. Do NOT try to go 0 carbs because you need your veggies as part of a healthy lifestyle.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Ahhh, ok.

As I get older I'm not able to handle being too hungry. I will literally throw up, have done so as I try to leave for work if I don't eat something, anything.

Been looking at some of the paleo things on Pinterest, but not too seriously. Probably now should.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I like the juicing plan with food as well no wheat or sugar. I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and have finally so far quit soda. I find that drinking the veggies fruit smoothies really filling. Lots of water and exercise.

The Blender Girl and Food Babe are good sites for recipes

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

So... I have searched a little information about low carb diet and it came out both with positive and negative views...

Then, I think not to do it strictly... Yet, I am not sure if it gonna work or not... lol 

What if I include carbs once in a day, maybe breakfast or lunch? 

:bouncing:

So... I have searched a little information about low carb diet and it came out both with positive and negative views...

Then, I think not to do it strictly... Yet, I am not sure if it gonna work or not... lol 

What if I include carbs once in a day, maybe breakfast or lunch? 

What about this one ?  :lol1:

post-4085-0-22621300-1422258725_thumb.jp

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Truly speaking, I try this for few days and I am easily hungry and It really affects my mood, I become easily irritated... 

The website said I have to add a lot of fat if I don't want to get hungry...  :crying:

But, I am afraid my cholesterol will rise... Oh! So confused! 

Do you all cholesterol is okay with low carb diet?

:bouncing: