JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This is a pic from the baby afghan pattern I’m making.  I’m making it in mint and lemon colors. Very light colors. I’ll try to take a pic as I get it a little bigger.

No hurry, sister’s baby not due till October. 👶 baby 🍼 

FE68F33A-60AC-4BE8-8F72-F019E6E6FF16.jpeg

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

39 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

I like to spin wool and other fiber (alpaca etc) into yarn. To me it is very relaxing. I haven't done much lately, but am going to start up again soon. 

That sounds interesting. Never saw it done. 

Edited by Loopy

1 hour ago, normaclutter said:

I like to spin wool and other fiber (alpaca etc) into yarn. To me it is very relaxing. I haven't done much lately, but am going to start up again soon. 

I spin as well, I'm waiting for the new fleeces to start appearing.  I'm going to make myself a Icelandic sweater in natural colours for the winter... so nice to find another fibre friend :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I use a late 1800's saxony style spinning wheel. I really enjoy it. Anniebea... do you start with raw fiber? I love the whole process of washing and drying and carding and spinning. I am ready for the warm weather so I can wash some of the wool and alpaca fiber I have and let it air dry outdoors. It's nice to know the "old ways" of doing things. Loopy you should check it out!

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

What's not to love?

It is positively pink and purple GORGEOUS!!!:wub:

Screenshot_2018-04-25-16-20-18.thumb.jpg.77f6f45aed1b36bc2587ee6895b44fc3.jpg

Altho this pic is the afghan I made for Ross, I just completed another one this morning of the exact same pattern and colors for my spiritual mom. I’m bringing it this afternoon as I’m going for a visit as well.  She doesn’t know anything about it so it’s going to be a big surprise. 

As she was fixing the strings on Ross’ afghan she said, ”O I wish I had the money for the yarn it’s so beautiful.” Hence the next project was born. 

Now I have plans to make another one for a sweet sister as well. Just gotta get the yarn. 

1 minute ago, Loopy said:

Altho this pic is the afghan I made for Ross, I just completed another one this morning of the exact same pattern and colors for my spiritual mom. I’m bringing it this afternoon as I’m going for a visit as well.  She doesn’t know anything about it so it’s going to be a big surprise. 

As she was fixing the strings on Ross’ afghan she said, ”O I wish I had the money for the yarn it’s so beautiful.” Hence the next project was born. 

Now I have plans to make another one for a sweet sister as well. Just gotta get the yarn. 

Here's hoping she doesn't read this thread before you get there.😀

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

41 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Nah! She’s still trying to figure things out. 😁😁😁 

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Hahahahaha! I brought her afghan, put it in her lap and later asked her, who she thinks that it was for. She said I don’t know. So I told her it was for her. She hugged it. LOL

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 11:46 PM, normaclutter said:

I use a late 1800's saxony style spinning wheel. I really enjoy it. Anniebea... do you start with raw fiber? I love the whole process of washing and drying and carding and spinning. I am ready for the warm weather so I can wash some of the wool and alpaca fiber I have and let it air dry outdoors. It's nice to know the "old ways" of doing things. Loopy you should check it out!

Sorry Norma,  I don't know how I missed your post!  Yes I start with raw fleece,  I have a Kiwi2. 

But if I'm spinning art yarn then I use tops and Angelina etc to make things interesting. 

I love the whole process from fleece to sweater. .. I'm going to work on a colour work sweater. 

Would love to have a kiwi. My saxony style is technically a flax wheel, so it has a small orafice. Fine for wool and alpaca, but no bulky yarn. I tend to spin thin so it's ok. I like the whole process too.  I have a bunch of wool and alpaca I need to wash, but was waiting till the weather was better to dry it outside. 

6 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

Would love to have a kiwi. My saxony style is technically a flax wheel, so it has a small orafice. Fine for wool and alpaca, but no bulky yarn. I tend to spin thin so it's ok. I like the whole process too.  I have a bunch of wool and alpaca I need to wash, but was waiting till the weather was better to dry it outside. 

I've kind of worked my way up to the Kiwi, I started off with a Ashford about 28 years ago and enjoyed it, then I sold it and bought a old handmade one, but then I got into core spinning yarn and the orifice was too small... so I sold that one and got the Kiwi. I have the jumbo flyer with it so I can use a mix... but to be honest I tend to spin thin so that I can knit it up easily. 

It's a bit of an addiction isn't it lol.

I'd love to see a photo of your wheel 

4 hours ago, anniebea said:

I've kind of worked my way up to the Kiwi, I started off with a Ashford about 28 years ago

Now I'm really confused .....

I looked up the Kiwi and, after I got past the bird, I found the spinning wheel - well, sort of

Seems Ashford makes the Kiwi - so, how does one "work up to" since it is made by Ashford - The one you started with :wall:

Guess I'll stick with woodworking - that way I can work up from a planer to a drum sander :thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 hours ago, Qapla said:

Now I'm really confused .....

I looked up the Kiwi and, after I got past the bird, I found the spinning wheel - well, sort of

Seems Ashford makes the Kiwi - so, how does one "work up to" since it is made by Ashford - The one you started with :wall:

Guess I'll stick with woodworking - that way I can work up from a planer to a drum sander :thumbsup:

When a spinner says "Ashford" it's usually an Ashford Traditional. So different than a Kiwi. There are so  many different kinds of spinning wheels. 

20 hours ago, anniebea said:

I've kind of worked my way up to the Kiwi, I started off with a Ashford about 28 years ago and enjoyed it, then I sold it and bought a old handmade one, but then I got into core spinning yarn and the orifice was too small... so I sold that one and got the Kiwi. I have the jumbo flyer with it so I can use a mix... but to be honest I tend to spin thin so that I can knit it up easily. 

It's a bit of an addiction isn't it lol.

I'd love to see a photo of your wheel 

Yes it can be addictive. Especially the spinning itself. When I start, I don't want to stop. I just kind of zone out. It's kind of therapeutic. I will get a pic and post it, as soon as I put my drive band on (well basically string). Maybe I'll take a pic of some of the spun fiber. I would love to see your art yarn, and your wheel. Did you start on a spindle? 

1 hour ago, normaclutter said:

Yes it can be addictive. Especially the spinning itself. When I start, I don't want to stop. I just kind of zone out. It's kind of therapeutic. I will get a pic and post it, as soon as I put my drive band on (well basically string). Maybe I'll take a pic of some of the spun fiber. I would love to see your art yarn, and your wheel. Did you start on a spindle? 

Yes I started on a spindle a woman from the guild of weavers, spinners and dyers taught me years ago.  She said if I could master the spindle then the wheel would be easy lol I found it hard though,  but eventually it clicked. 

I know what you mean by zone out! It's addictive . 

I don't spin as much as a should,  I'm too busy dyeing yarn (that's what I do for a living) I just made some art batts today to sell at a festival soon. 

I didn't do many, the weather's just too hot to turn the handle on the carder! It's hot here in Ireland and we're just not used to it!  I'll take pics tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, anniebea said:

the weather's just too hot to ...

Now this I can understand ....

We had lower 90'sF/30'sC today with 60% humidity - it is nearly 9PM here and it is still 88F/31.1C with the 60%

😓

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Dove said:

Looks like cloud formations...

It smells very much like sheep lol

5 hours ago, normaclutter said:

BEAUTIFUL!! And so clean!

Yes I'm amazed how clean it is, I bought it online from the U.K.