JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

It is! You are invited to come and visit

To bad it's the antipodes of Australia ;)

I particularly love the mixture of mountains and water wich is an authentic tidbit for the eyes 269abec541ad55c75eb1cfbd4514d465.jpg0e1115a624cb14ce4fc85f4feccfb938.jpg10d2fe64d86aaf4e01b49afdac7a58c4.jpg

Enviado do meu LG-D802 através de Tapatalk

Thanks mate !

I have lived in Spain for 2-3 years bust never made my way to Portugal

Hope to have more free time in the New World !

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1e960f15fd8d41e7940766f01a24a947.jpg

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Give it a good paint job and we would never know the difference.  :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

ae040bd697ca22721152fa6266a518fe.jpg

Today at my kingdom hall,somebody donated this bag of coins

Sent from my LG-E988

If everybody took and donated their spare change that was around the house, it could add up to a healthy sum. Also some might collect gold jewelry (like a gold earring that lost its mate) and turn it in to cash for a KIngdom Hall contribution. Some one might organize a deposit bottle return project and get the cash back for a donation. Every little bit helps. Nice, thought provoking post.

ae040bd697ca22721152fa6266a518fe.jpg

Today at my kingdom hall,somebody donated this bag of coins

Sent from my LG-E988

Someone I met in service once gave me her "voluntary donation" for the magazines I placed with her: a jar full of coins. But it just wouldn't fit in the contribution box! I was forced to give it to the accounts servant personally.

He told me at the next meeting there was about $19 (Canadian) in it, all of it in nickles, dimes and quarters (or whatever the equivalent is in your currency). Pretty heavy.

Someone I met in service once gave me her "voluntary donation" for the magazines I placed with her: a jar full of coins. But it just wouldn't fit in the contribution box! I was forced to give it to the accounts servant personally.

He told me at the next meeting there was about $19 (Canadian) in it, all of it in nickles, dimes and quarters (or whatever the equivalent is in your currency). Pretty heavy.

Would a widow put coins in the contribution box? She just mite.

This is Olympic Stadium in Montreal, Canada.

post-1993-0-31833800-1441052899_thumb.jp

It was built in the mid-1970s as the main venue for the 1976 Summer Olympics. It is known as "The Big O," a reference to both its name and to the doughnut-shape of the permanent component of the stadium's roof. It is also called "The Big Owe" to reference the astronomical cost of the stadium and the 1976 Olympics as a whole. The former Montreal Expos used to play baseball in this stadium. But since they left for Washington, DC, in 2004, the stadium has not had a main tenant. With a history of numerous structural and financial problems, it is largely seen as a white elephant.

As far as Jehovah's Witnesses are concerned, the stadium has been used for District Conventions a few times. The first one I remember was in 1985 when the attendance was 88,000. Most of those (such as French and English sessions) were in the main stadium, but other language groups gathered in surrounding structures at the Olympic Park. The stadium was also used for District Conventions in 1988, and the latest in 2003, although the attendance was not as high.

The tower at the back of the stadium is the Montreal Tower, not completed until 1987. It is the world's tallest inclined tower.

post-1993-0-09789300-1441052911_thumb.jp

post-1993-0-10202100-1441052925_thumb.jp

The above plaque compares the Montreal Tower to other structures which are not perfectly vertical, such as the Tiger Hill Pagoda in China (3.0°), the Towers of Bologna, Italy (4.0° & 1.3°), Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa (3.97°), Bad Frankenhauser Church Tower in Germany (4.8°), the Suurhusen Church Tower in Germany (5.19°), Russia's Nevyansk Tower (3.0°), and "Big Ben" in the UK (0.26°).

post-1993-0-25639600-1441052939_thumb.jp

Of course, it has to be in the Guinness World Records. The translated text at the lower right on the above plaque says "The Guinness World Records has conferred the following certificate on the Olympic Stadium Tower of Montreal. The tallest manmade leaning tower is the Montreal Olympic Stadium Tower, inaugurated in Montreal, Canada in 1987. It measures 165m (541ft 4.05in) and has a curved angle of 45 degrees. Completed in 1987, the tower is designed to support 75% of the weight of the roof of the stadium. A funicular built on two levels rides the tower up to the Observatory, located on the top three floors and where a panoramic view stretching up to 80km in every direction is offered. Each ascension takes less than 2 minutes."

post-1993-0-24184100-1441052950_thumb.jp

post-1993-0-95180000-1441052968_thumb.jp

The last photo includes the Montreal Biodome in the foreground.

As for the inclined tower, what do you think it is "inclined" to do?

Download this video clip to see the view from inside the cable car going up the spine of the tower. You have to wait until after the 40-second mark to see the view outside. The video was taken by myself.