JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library - app

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3547 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

When we can annotate the app, maybe that will change, it's easier to change notes when we get increased light if they are electronic and not pen or pencil!

I, too, am eagerly waiting the annotation feature! When I used to select the verses on which I wanted to comment, it was easy to do with previous downloaded Bible, for verses could be highlighted and notes could be made.

Also (a bit off topic?) I am anxious for the 2014 Daily Reading in January. Hopefully it will have links to the newest Bible version.

‘So keep yourselves in expectation of me,’ declares Jehovah. (Zephaniah 3:8)

Especially when they start letting us use the tablets on stage!

Been wondering about that, but think it is still farther down the road. They obviously want us to use the tablets in the ministry because of all the internet functions they have provided for us. But using the tablets on the platform? That's a pretty big change that might be slow in coming.

‘So keep yourselves in expectation of me,’ declares Jehovah. (Zephaniah 3:8)

I doubt if the new one-volume large print will have the same large font used in the 4-vol edition, even with all the changes.  It would have to be a very bulky book.  That is where technology is coming in to play.  You can have whatever font size you need to read with something a thin like a tablet.

And when they add magazines and books to the app, some brothers may feel they no longer need to order large print editions.

Unless you're not computer literate at all. We spend about an hour last Saturday showing my MIL how to insert an audio CD (auto-play) and how to pause/stop, etc. She took notes, but called the next day saying she couldn't get it to work :(

Unless you're not computer literate at all. We spend about an hour last Saturday showing my MIL how to insert an audio CD (auto-play) and how to pause/stop, etc. She took notes, but called the next day saying she couldn't get it to work :(

Welcome to my world! :)

I just got off the phone with a sister who I spent several hours setting up her devices. She took extensive notes, but still calls me daily for help with what I consider something  "simple". But that is the nature of the technical beast! LOL

There is no substitute for experience and the more the friends use the technology, the easier it will become for them. 

I'm sorry, but that made me seriously lol. Sorry.

My sisters MIL called her over to her house, next door, because the cd player was broken. She had the cd in upside down.  :uhhuh: Grumpy and I have a Blueray DVD player that we paid to have connected to our TV. :( We still haven't figured out how to make it play. :o We watch the videos on my computer. :headphones: 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I'm sorry, but that made me seriously lol. Sorry.

Don't be sorry - we would laugh too, if she didn't live an hour away from us :D

She's almost 90, so we're happy she is at least able to play Scrabble on the computer and use an older version of the WT Library (the newer operating system required to use the recent versions was too confusing for her, and we had to give her back her old (I think 2005?) version.

We have an elderly (in her 80's) sister who lives quite close to us, she has been in the truth for donkey's years and pioneered since 1965.  She has family in the truth, in our congregation and others nearby, but she will only allow my wife to help her with her computer!

She has no internet, but records talks and puts them onto her computer.  If her family do it, they delete things she wants to keep, or they put other things on, so after every convention, or special talk (or talk by a family member) my wife has to go and help her, even though she has shown her so many times how to do it.

She booked my wife to visit after the AM to put her recording on the computer, but of course cancelled when she wasn't allowed to record it.

There will hallways be someone who can't unsweetened a thing of technology... but there is still lot's of people who can't read the paper bible. Being unable to use a computer nowadays is the current illiteracy in my opinion

I totally believe that the emphasis from the slave on internet and technology will increase a lot on the near future.

Edited by jayrtom

Good point João! I'm not sure if I would call it "illiteracy" although the word does fit. But, there are many people in poorer countries around the world that just haven't had exposure to the new technologies through no fault of their own, but this is changing on a daily basis! Can you imagine what a flawless world network we may have in the new system? :)

My mother-in-law thinks that ALL electronic devices are from the devil - phones included. She only caries a cell phone as we pay for it (and yet - she still rarely has it on!! )

Anyway - she say there will be NO electronic devices in the NEW WORLD - everything "connected" to this world will be destroyed!!!

This is always a fun conversation at the Trotter home  :wink:

I was SO HAPPY when they discussed this app at the AM  :bouncing:  Maybe - just maybe - not ALL electronic devices are evil. Perhaps it is just those who use them to bad ends???? Or who are constantly distracted by them.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Good point João! I'm not sure if I would call it "illiteracy" although the word does fit. But, there are many people in poorer countries around the world that just haven't had exposure to the new technologies through no fault of their own, but this is changing on a daily basis! Can you imagine what a flawless world network we may have in the new system? :)

We've been told and you know it's true, after Armageddon we are going back to horse and buggies and if you disagree, you just might not make it. There will be no internet...........I can't find the Watchtower on the on-line library though. Some help please.

According to my father.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Welcome to my world! :)

I just got off the phone with a sister who I spent several hours setting up her devices. She took extensive notes, but still calls me daily for help with what I consider something  "simple". But that is the nature of the technical beast! LOL

There is no substitute for experience and the more the friends use the technology, the easier it will become for them.

Chuck..I find the best way to learn is to be shown in person or watch Tutorials..Androids have device help with pictures but don't

cover everything...I think Jehovah is motivating some older ones to muster up the funds and courage to take the big leap and get a tablet..Do you know of a 10" android under $100?..I am trying to help some sisters in our Cong...

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

We've been told and you know it's true, after Armageddon we are going back to horse and buggies and if you disagree, you just might not make it.

Horse and buggies? Not at all, horseshoes are cruel to the horses, we're going back to our own two feet.

...According to several older ones at my hall. :P

Maybe - just maybe - not ALL electronic devices are evil. Perhaps it is just those who use them to bad ends???? Or who are constantly distracted by them.

The last time the website was discussed in the KM, one of the technophobes in my hall made a comment that computers and the internet are "demonic things that can be used for good".

Since I work on computers/networking for a living, that makes for some very awkward conversations when we're in a car group together.

My mother used to say that the internet was wrong because "there is sex on the internet ". I tried to reason with her that there are phone numbers used for that too. She is finally seeing that it is not all bad.

Especially when they start letting us use the tablets on stage :bouncing:

Oh my mother-in-law will freak :eek: that day!

I would still not to rely on my tablet on the stage...... a re-boot in the middle of a talk would not be cool.  Last night while running a mic, my tablet went black while turning pages on the Jeremiah book.  It didn't re-boot but my reader (Montano) shut down and re-started.  It happened twice.  I have an ASUS Infinity Prime.... maybe the iPads aren't as buggy?  I wish the iPads would get a USB slot and or micro card slot.  I keep all my JW videos and books on my card.......

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".