JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library - app

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3547 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

No - I have not actually seen the app - or any app for that matter! Being on a very fixed income, can't afford a smart phone or the monthly plan. (I tried getting it on my netbook by following the instructions to download "Bluestacks" but you have to have at least 2GB RAM and mine only has 1GB so that didn't work for my situation.) I would like very much to find a cheap tablet in order to get the jw library app but haven't really gotten to see a tablet long enough to get to check anything out. Have gone to several stores to try to see them and get help from the sales people but so far I've found people that are barely more literate than me.

There are a lot of older ones and those on limited incomes that have not had this privilege. There are also some who go and buy one not really understanding how to use them. I don't know why but they all seem to come to me (when I'm clueless!) for help deciding how to get into this new field. I've asked some brothers if they would please help these dear ones but so far, no one has the time. We have a couple elderly pioneers with no family who are eager to learn in order to assist them in the ministry. It would be great if someone would teach a group of fairly literate ones (like a "train the trainer" kind of thing) and then those could help the less informed. All we really want is to be able to utilize the app in the ministry.

Here you have an used Samsung tablet for 50 dolars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-GT-P3113-Tablet-8GB-Wi-Fi-7-Android-T-Silver-/190937186817?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c74be4201

It's a 100% rated seller. If you want a cheaper one but still usable pm

Look in this search results

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&Screen%2520Size=7%2522&Storage%2520Capacity=8%2520GB&_udlo&_udhi=75&_dcat=171485&LH_ItemCondition=4&_nkw=tablet%20android&_sop=16&_clu=2&_fcid=1&_localstpos&_stpos&gbr=1

Willow that is only 7 in. I think when we talked you wanted a 10 in. one, but there ate plenty to choose from.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Willow that is only 7 in. I think when we talked you wanted a 10 in. one, but there ate plenty to choose from.

Thanks for watching out for me, Vernalee. I am not only looking for myself but also for several sisters in the cong. So 7 in. is in the running. 

The Bee

The app is quite good, and when more material is added to it I think it will become more useful.

I am still using the JWBible app, which is Reference Bible based.  I find it quicker to get to the scripture I want, right to the verse, and it has the songbook (with music) in it too.  When switching apps (at the assembly I was using Notability to take notes and record) I found it easier and quicker to use JWBible to look up scriptures.

I'm afraid there is no option for it right now :(

Enviado do meu ST21i utilizando Tapatalk

João...with the downloaded material if I tap my screen twice it enlarges some!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but, am I correct in believing the JW Library app is only available on the internet? No offline access (and that's why all the talk about this other app on the previous couple pages?)

The Bee

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but, am I correct in believing the JW Library app is only available on the internet? No offline access (and that's why all the talk about this other app on the previous couple pages?)

You need Internet access to download the app, but once you have it on your device, you can use it without needing Internet.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Jasmin. I guess all the talk about the other app was to get the other publications beside the Bible. I get it now. S - L - O - W on the uptake! :huh:  :wacko:  :blink:

I think I'll just go and do something I'm familiar with:  :toothbrush:

The Bee

The app is quite good, and when more material is added to it I think it will become more useful.

I am still using the JWBible app, which is Reference Bible based.  I find it quicker to get to the scripture I want, right to the verse, and it has the songbook (with music) in it too.  When switching apps (at the assembly I was using Notability to take notes and record) I found it easier and quicker to use JWBible to look up scriptures.

Hmmm. Got to check that out. I think you are the sort that I was visiting with at the convention. This brother took notes with his note book, and could go back and forth a put those scriptures in, as he was taking notes. I have not figured it out. On windows, I could leave the bible open on the bottom of the page, and get to it quickly. This iPad thing. I have not figured that out. I have not even figured out how to do it after the fact. Without my bible at hand. You, sir, have my admiration and respect!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

If an app is open, two clicks on the home button shows all the open apps along the bottom of the screen, and you can just tap the one you want to reopen it immediately.  With IOS7, the two clicks bring small pictures on the main screen of all open apps and you can scroll to the one you want and tap it to use it.

I keep Notability and JWBible open, so I can make notes and record with notability and then easily swap to the Bible and with a couple of taps I have the verse.  There is a screen with every Bible Book (fills the screen!) - tap the book, a list of chapter numbers comes up, tap the one you want, and a list of verse numbers is shown.  Again a tap and the Bible opens with the verse highlighted.  It uses the reference Bible so all footnotes from that edition and cross references are there.

Two taps of the home button and I can get back to Notability.

Edited by bohemian

Hmmm. Got to check that out. I think you are the sort that I was visiting with at the convention. This brother took notes with his note book, and could go back and forth a put those scriptures in, as he was taking notes. I have not figured it out. On windows, I could leave the bible open on the bottom of the page, and get to it quickly. This iPad thing. I have not figured that out. I have not even figured out how to do it after the fact. Without my bible at hand. You, sir, have my admiration and respect!

I do the same thing. You can switch between apps on an iPad easily by touching the screen with all five fingertips on one hand and swiping left or right. I had been using Equipd + Notability to do this in the past, but when we had our CA the week after the AM I tried to use the JW Library app in place of Equipd. It takes a lot more work, but it is do-able. I'm eagerly looking forward to when Equipd can use the Revised NWT because it's copy/paste functionality is spot on for taking notes. 

Not tried that Trey, interesting.  Is that swipe on ios7?

I double checked it's actually called a four finger swipe. It started in iOS 5 and according to this picture the setting is still there:

ios7-3.png

That green toggle is for Multitasking Gestures. I'm sticking with iOS 6 for now so I wasn't 100% sure.

If an app is open, two clicks on the home button shows all the open apps along the bottom of the screen, and you can just tap the one you want to reopen it immediately.  With IOS7, the two clicks bring small pictures on the main screen of all open apps and you can scroll to the one you want and tap it to use it.

I keep Notability and JWBible open, so I can make notes and record with notability and then easily swap to the Bible and with a couple of taps I have the verse.  There is a screen with every Bible Book (fills the screen!) - tap the book, a list of chapter numbers comes up, tap the one you want, and a list of verse numbers is shown.  Again a tap and the Bible opens with the verse highlighted.  It uses the reference Bible so all footnotes from that edition and cross references are there.

Two taps of the home button and I can get back to Notability.

My, "ah ha", moment. Thanks, brother. But I must confess, it will take longer then a moment, but at least I have something to work with! Thanks again.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

It's "chepil"  The app is JW-Bible NWT  (on iPad) I don't know if there is an Android version.

It has footnotes, crossreferences, other languages with dual screen displays if required, songbook is included, possible to add audio too (online and offline).

Bookmarks and notes. fast search.  Supports Arabic too!

It is the same jw library that installs on a smart phone or tablet and is being discussed in this thread. It works the same, everything is there.  I have a 27" monitor so it is awesome. 

The name of the app is BlueStacks - Do an internet search for it.

1. Download the app.
2. Install the app on your pc (win or mac)
3. Attempt to access the Play Store (called the Market in the tool)
4. Link a Google Account, perhaps one without 2 step validation (if you don't know what that is then you don't have to worry.
5. Search for the jw library app on the play store (inside the BlueStacks app) download the jw library
6. Run the app, done deal.

Myself I got totally lost trying to get it up and running, so the instructions above is the best I can do.

also got lost after step 2 on my iMac - any further specific direction how to find step 3 play store/market?   ...  real slooow tech adapter - but have to learn, thank you.

also got lost after step 2 on my iMac - any further specific direction how to find step 3 play store/market?   ...  real slooow tech adapter - but have to learn, thank you.

Are you kidding, I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag with a chain saw. Sorry, but I can't be of any further help. I think a few others were successful, maybe they can be of help.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25