JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

North Korea maybe ready for reunification?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3392 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is a sudden and interesting developement.  Since there are so many conflicts going on in the world at once, surely it's possible the the cry of "Peace and Security" is a succession if events.  This may be the beginning of one?

North Korean dictator would speak to South's President if 'mood' right

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/01/world/asia/north-korea-kim-talks/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I don't see North and South Korea reunified any time soon... They may have some peace talks to reduce the tension and maybe to allow divided families to meet, but that's all.

The funny-fringe heir of the Kim dinasty is obviously not going to give up his privileges, and South Koreans surely are not going to submit to the weird Communist hereditary regime (!) to starve with their northern neighbors. Besides, there are a lot of political pressures from both sides. The "demilitarized zone" in the North/South Korean border is the last border of the Cold War. Actually it's the line where China's area of influence meets America's.

In 2000 both Koreas agreed to rebuild a railroad line from Seoul to Pyongyang, which would have connected North and South Korea, as well as both Koreas to the rest of the world. The line was built and at some point trains were running well into North Korean territory, up to Kaesong, an industrial complex where North Korean workers produce goods for South Korean companies. But in 2008 the relationship between both countries cooled down and trains were stopped. They now only go up to Dorasan, very close to the border, and are only used by tourists. That train has become a symbol of the reunification, but so far the dream of traveling from Seoul to Pyongyang has never materialized. And even if it does, it could transport only goods, I don't think free circulation of travellers will ever be allowed, since then all of North Korean population would flee to the South.

At present, if I am not wrong, North Korea is one of the three countries in the world where we have no report of any publishers (the others being Somalia and Afghanistan).

Vietnam and China are also not found in the year book #s. Good sum up Carlos.

Thank you, Jerry.

We do know there are Witnesses in China and Vietnam. The work is organized there, even if under ban. Their numbers and activity appear in the Yearbook in the section of countries under ban, although the reports may be incomplete. But as far as we know there are no Witnesses in North Korea, Somalia nor Afghanistan, or if there are any they are completely isolated from the organization and we don't know anything about them. At least that was the situation two or three years ago.

But as far as we know there are no Witnesses in North Korea, Somalia nor Afghanistan, or if there are any they are completely isolated from the organization and we don't know anything about them.

The last time something like this came up... I tried to gracefully give my comments. I was almost disowned, tarred, and feathered. But realistically it's very hard to do anything religious in North Korea I gather. Sounds like even it own citizens will turn on each other and visitors. I bet it's really hard to play it cool.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

When my daughter was invited to go to the S. Korea's Intl Convention, she told me how she traveled with friends to where you can see N. Korea but to get any closer it was fenced off with warning signs. She said that the S. Korean friends had tears in their eyes as they looked out across the river to N. Korea, they didn't know if they still had family alive there or not. 

Since my daughter emotionally told me about the situation over there, I have read many books on the subject and it is unbelievable what the N. Koreans are led to believe and how they have no idea what is going on in the world. And the starvation is horrendous, especially in the 80's and 90's, they say you can see the size difference in the people during the years of starvation. 

I truly hope that N. Korea will open up and let the truth get in, it will take Jehovah's strong arm to get it done. 

When my daughter was invited to go to the S. Korea's Intl Convention, she told me how she traveled with friends to where you can see N. Korea but to get any closer it was fenced off with warning signs. She said that the S. Korean friends had tears in their eyes as they looked out across the river to N. Korea, they didn't know if they still had family alive there or not.

We visited South Korea in 2013 and our experience was very similar. People really take reunification to heart, they become emotional when they talk about it. And a few months ago we attended a mixed traditional Korean / Spanish music concert and the orchestra director brought up the subject again. It's really one single people, with identical language, traditions and blood ties, separated by an arbitrary border.

The "demilitarized zone" along the border is controlled by UN forces. In fact, we had to contact the UN before and ask for a permission to visit. There is a point called Panmunjeom where the UN built some conference buildings just over the borderline. Inside the buildings, the line is painted and it crosses the table. So when North and South Korean mandataries meet there, they are still within their countries even if they are seated at the same table. :) Since we went around the table, technically we set foot on North Korea. :)

I'm sure that something will happen so the brothers can get the good news to the people of N Korea who so desperately need it as well as bring some relief to the faithful inside (I'm absolutely certain there are some faithful ones in NK). Can you imagine how quickly the friends will get that territory covered should it be safe to preach in North Korea? Anything is possible during these last days and Jehovah can do anything he wants to ensure his will be done (Mt 24:14)

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)