JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3244 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong. If I want to download the video, let's say "Watchtower v. Stratton," I copy/paste the link for that video to your site:

http://tv.jw.org/#video/VODOurOrganization/pub-jwbrd_201504_2_VIDEO and click Submit, it gives me the link back to JW Broadcasting:

http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=MP4&output=html&pub=jwbrd&issue=201504&track=2. From there I can see the video, just like I could from the other link. But how do I download the video from there?

:help:

Below the video you will find a column saying " DOWNLOAD" and below it there are numbers i.e. 240p, 360p 480p & 720p. These are resolution number. higher number = better quality = takes up more space. Click on any of those numbers and it will start downloading right away.

. . .

And this leads me to wonder if there is any cost related to running this forum too?

Tim already responded well to your question Hasina. However, it's not very noticeable, but there is a Donate button on the front page of this site. It's at the bottom right. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets with this, but donations made there go to Dismal_Bliss' company.

Below the video you will find a column saying " DOWNLOAD" and below it there are numbers i.e. 240p, 360p 480p & 720p. These are resolution number. higher number = better quality = takes up more space. Click on any of those numbers and it will start downloading right away.

Ahh! There they are! I didn't see a column saying "DOWNLOAD." I wasn't scrolled down far enough.

That will be nice in Ostrava. Will it be at the large Assembly Hall facility built there? I was in Ostrava some years ago and visited Havířov congregation. Jíří Bobošík may remember us, as we stayed at his parents' house. Maybe you know him or his mum, Anna Bobošíková?

I am spending some time with friends in Spáňov, near Domažlice, before going to Prague, so my itinerary is set. Have a great convention.

Yes, of course, I know Bobošik family, my wife knows Anna (Anička) and as they meet together, they both have great and laughing time. As we say here: "world is small" "svět je malý", and it is applies to Gods people.

In Ostrava, there is a great hokey hall, where are hold our Assemblies (Reg. conv.), later i will send some pictures. And near Havířov is our Assembly hall for smaller conventions.

In the broadcast music video there was a sister who made a payment online to a donation site. Can anyone link me to that page? I couldn't find it.

I don't carry cash often, so it sure would be convenient to donate online!

On the front page of jw.org there is a link on the top right -"Log in". Create an account & follow Iink to donations.

I'm not trying to tell any one how to save money or not save money. But, I just want to say I do not think the brothers or Jehovah would want you to not buy fresh food for your family. In fact when I was a Regular Pioneer we once got a special letter that told us TO eat fresh foods, and try to eat healthy and get regular exercise (as in walking or such) so as to take care of the body that Jehovah gave us, and respect it. And to be able to pioneer more years, when we are healthy. Since then we have also had several magazines on such.

I have to admit to feeling a little bit uncomfortable.

When I was a young JW in the 70s we prided ourselves on never talking about money in the Kingdom Hall. There was a very brief 'accounts report' once a month and that was it. We assumed that Jehovah would move the brothers and sisters to give what was needed but nobody would dream of even hinting that anybody should donate more. I don't mean to be critical, I'm just being honest about how these changes make me feel.

When I was a young JW in the 70s we prided ourselves on never talking about money in the Kingdom Hall. There was a very brief 'accounts report' once a month and that was it. We assumed that Jehovah would move the brothers and sisters to give what was needed but nobody would dream of even hinting that anybody should donate more. I don't mean to be critical, I'm just being honest about how these changes make me feel.

Christopher, I don't think that has changed. We can still be proud that we don't talk often about money in the KH. Usually we have a brief accounting report once a month and once a year we have a 10 minute talk on how to support the organization by donations. That's all the talk about money.

Now if there is a local need because donations are not covering the expenses, then it's necessary to explain the situation to the congregation, so that they can take measures. There are several occasions in the Scriptures when there was a need for donations and those taking the lead explained the situation to the people. Those who felt moved to help offered their contributions and the need was covered.

If occasionally there is a problem with the donations and it's treated with frankness in a local needs talk, IMO, there's nothing to be ashamed about.

I don't mind the timely encouraging reminder about our donations.

As an adult family head - I'm aware that realistically speaking there's nothing really 'free' for things that are necessary and unnecessary for life let alone for spiritual pursuits. Money comes in and money goes out for things I want/need to exist.

When I was a MS years ago my assignment was the accounts servant. That assignment helped me to see the financial side of the local congregation. I took great care to notate the ins and outs financially for my congregation. When the Secretary inspected them about every quarter he would see everything was balanced and kept a record of. To hear that the selling of one major facility would cover one week of worldwide expenses was amazing to know.

When it comes to finances I personally don't assume anything. Assumptions doesn't pay for lights, water, sewage treatment, or any other function of the organization.

I really appreciated it and gladly showed it for family worship last Monday.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

It is not so much that they want more, however many - with the means, donate a Lot less. The status quo of donations beforehand would have worked. Unfortunately many give a pittance now.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

It's not "talking about money"... it's talking about all projects who are going on... we must know all about the use of our donation... it's help us to see the worldwide scale of the organization.

Now, my one little coin is not only used to print our local magazines in our local branch...

It's going to be used to print plus to build plus to teach plus to help plus to train plus to translate, plus to... All Around the earth!

It's shows us how powerful is our little coins ^_^

It's remind us that our little coins are all involved in all this activities

That's why now, as I know more about this, I'll put two little coins to help the GB to Double the efficiency of each one of them

Now, my one little coin is not only used to print our local magazines in our local branch...

It's going to be used to print plus to build plus to teach plus to help plus to train plus to translate, plus to... All Around the earth!

It's shows us how powerful is our little coins ^_^

It's remind us that our little coins are all involved in all this activities

That's why now, as I know more about this, I'll put two little coins to help the GB to Double the efficiency of each one of them

I love your sincere comment on the broadcast!

All I'm saying is that this talk would have caused offense if it had been given a few decades ago. 

I could not exaggerate how unthinkable it would have been to have credit card machines in an assembly hall. I remember criticising Christendom for doing the same thing back in the mid '70s.

I realise the need for donations has increased but I'm just offering a perspective of somebody who grew up in the truth in different times.

iirc, soon after the publications became available without charge a letter was read letting us know that the voluntary donations were now less than the money the society was previously receiving. A gentle prompt to correct any misunderstanding that the publications were now 'free'.

I think the broadcast is something similar, just because they have cancelled all the loans we shouldn't conclude that there is 'excess' money. It's purely for "an equalising".

(And if Jehovah wants 3000 KHs built per year instead of 2000 I'm sure it will happen.)

:)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Little technical point :D

@luca : if I remember the credit card machines who were under criticism on the mid 70  were "on the basket"..

And when you read that in some Christian churches they passed the basket 3 times during each service worship ... (see w13 7/1 p4)

Perhaps we should also make a difference between a debit and a credit card.

Debit card is a new e-wallet. With my debit card I can't spend more than what I have on my bank account. There is a check for each operation .

And as I never have change on my pockets, I really appreciate to have a machine in our assembly hall.

it's also more easy and less dangerous to collect the contributions at the end of the conventions

But electronic wallet is not a solution for each country...

Let me tell you a short story.

More than fifteen years ago, one day my mum were at a train station in Russia, near saint Petersburg. she don't speak very well Russian and she was looking after the next train to go to the bethel. A young man looked at her and asked her if she is going to bethel. She says "yes, but I don't know which train to take, could you help me ?" "quick quick, follow me...Go in this train and please, give this envelope to the reception"

She arrive at the reception and they were surprised to see her at this time of the journey... the brother asked her how did she manage to arrive. "by the train" "but, there's no train at this time" "I don't know... somebody show me the train... and I go in... by the way, he gave me this envelope for you"

They were a little amount of money in it..

"but who give it to you ?" "I don't know... - she put her hand in her pockets- oh! Look... he give me a little paper too"

on this little paper was written a name and a number... the brother recognize the name of a congregation and the amount of the contributions ... 

The brother count the money and explain that sometimes, as brothers have not enough money to come here, they wait at the station until they found a brother who manage to go to bethel !.

Then he show her a little coin and tell my mother it has so few value that's only very poor person have them.

Yes, centuries after the poor needy widow, each little coin have so much value for Jehovah that he could arrange a special train to bring them at the right place  ^_^ and with this wonderful may broadcasting, we know now what each little coin is for and how can it be used :D

Edited by peper-eliot

I could not exaggerate how unthinkable it would have been to have credit card machines in an assembly hall. I remember criticizing Christendom for doing the same thing back in the mid '70s.

I also grew up in the truth in the 70's so I understand what you are saying. Things have changed and some of the changes may feel a little uncomfortable.

I think Br Lett did an excellent job of telling us that the GB is merely communicating a need and leave it up to us to fill that need. I compared his talk to the preaching activity, we all know it needs to be done but if preaching was never mentioned at the meetings, how much of that asset would we give?

Obviously we are constantly reminded of the need to spend more time in the ministry and now the GB is reminding us of the need to increase sharing our other assets too.

I plan to let my money Auxiliary Pioneer this month and maybe let it Regular Pioneer!  :D

Edited by RKibel
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Great comment RKibel

I agree, my fist thought was "what???"

I don't like them asking... Also grew up in the truth.

But after a few days of thinking, I realise the problem is mine. I needed to Adjust my attitude. Jehovah uses his people to accomplish his

Purpose. He also gives his people a choice. He has let us know through the governing body that ALOT of work is taking place and he has and is speeding it up. NOW.

Now it's our choice to help or not.

He is using us to speed it up. And in satans world funds are needed. Let's use satans system against him buy providing those funds for jehovahs work!!!

Edited by Fiona

iirc, soon after the publications became available without charge a letter was read letting us know that the voluntary donations were now less than the money the society was previously receiving. A gentle prompt to correct any misunderstanding that the publications were now 'free'.

. . .

I remember when the voluntary donation arrangement came in, roughly 1991 if I remember correctly. (It was a year later in Canada than it was in the US.) I thought, "Everything is going to be paid for by voluntary donations?" Voluntary! This was such a new idea that it took me a while to fathom it. The organization was taking such a huge step of faith with that move! They all unquestioningly put their trust in Jehovah that He would make sure the work would be adequately supported by the public and the brothers and sisters. If Jehovah had not been behind that, there's no question in my mind the whole organization would have gone bankrupt!

I remember a specific talk on donations (for local KH) in the 70’s.

I had received a large box of shoes (really nice shoes) from a sister who received them from a family of a sister that had recently died.

At our meeting it was more than a brief accounts announcement but more so an explanation of the need for more donations… a reminder. A sister of little means felt the need to put in the money she had set aside for a needed pair of new shoes. As she walked out of the hall I asked her what size shoe she wore. The same size as my box of shoes. I had her come to my car & she found three pairs of almost new shoes that fit just right. She was in tears, which I didn't understand, until she told me what she had just done with her money.

Luke 6:38 “Practice giving, and people will give to you. They will pour into your laps a fine measure, pressed down, shaken together, and overflowing. For with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you in return.”

I find it hard to accept that there has not been a change in emphasis. If you were in the Truth in the '70s what do you think the reaction would have been if you had seen credit card machines at an assembly? (I don't just mean debit card machines)

The video is on our public web-TV channel and can be viewed by unbelieving relatives and interested ones. I feel concern for the impression it could give. There was a post earlier in the thread by Jellybean who described her reaction to the broadcast. She and her husband are looking for all sorts of ways to cut their family spending to the absolute minimum to donate more, even going as far as cashing in life assurance policies - that post got 9 "likes". I am just expressing my concern at what I see as a trend.

That's one of those accounts that makes your spine tingle.

I remember totally missing the point of Luke 6:38 when I was studying. 'But it says that we will just receive the same amount back because the container is the same.'

The brother got me to imagine how much more I would get back once a container was shaken and the contents pressed down, and even then overflowing. Oh, the value of illustrations!

#aBitThick, lol.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

The video is on our public web-TV channel and can be viewed by unbelieving relatives and interested ones. I feel concern for the impression it could give. There was a post earlier in the thread by Jellybean who described her reaction to the broadcast. She and her husband are looking for all sorts of ways to cut their family spending to the absolute minimum to donate more, even going as far as cashing in life assurance policies - that post got 9 "likes". I am just expressing my concern at what I see as a trend.

It sounds like you have reached the point where you need to trust the brothers are doing what Jehovah told them to do and this is Jehovah's direction. I know it feels unusual but don't forget that for the last few years the FDS has reminded us that the earthly part of Jehovah's organization will be making rapid changes and we need to hang on.

Everyone that sees the video will be able to make a personal decision about how to use their assets and we need to respect their decision. I'm sure there are friends that have sold cars, homes and cashed in insurance policies so they could pioneer and we respect their decision and Jehovah blesses them. If we feel the same way about our money as we do our time, then I'm sure the friends will make a balanced decision on the best way to use their money.

We know Jehovah is continually calling for more pioneers to reach more people, he is calling for more workers to build the KH when we do reach more people and now he is calling for more money to build the KH that we need. 

Try this, every time you hear about someone increasing their donation or doing something to be able to increase their donation, think of the money as time and think of the friends increasing their hours in service or doing something to be able to increase their hours, be happy for them. Money, time and energy are all assets that we can give to Jehovah.

If this doesn't have Jehovah's blessing, then none of it will work, yet the organization is growing and more people are finding the truth and will have KH to go to, so the evidence is that the call for more Pioneers, workers and money is from Jehovah.

Edited by RKibel
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Maybe we will read in a future book about how this was the start of when Jehovah did indeed "speed it up in its own time" in a very specific way.

:)