JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3245 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

What has always amazed me is the organization's complete trust in Jehovah to provide the necessary funds through voluntary donations. This is evident from the Faithful and DIscreet Slave's frequent reminders that we can always use more pioneers. We all know the average pioneer doesn't have a lot of money on hand to donate to the organization. They usually work just part time to support themselves, often making only enough to make ends meet. If the FDS wanted to bring more money in, wouldn't they be encouraging more brothers and sisters to work full time in a well paying job? That way we would have more money to support the worldwide work. But no, it's always encouraging us to simplify our lives, to be able to get by on less, to make more room for pioneer service. That would be no way to bring a lot of money in!

As a result of this broadcast I am more determined now than ever to contribute more. Each meeting I have to drop in something no matter how small.

Look at it the other way. Would you rather the GB kept silent and next thing you know we are experiencing serious cut backs in the building, preaching and so on work. Selling off properties, merging congregations?

Would we rather here reports of expansion or shrinkage and stalled projects. Ah here is anotherone, we return to having one magazine per family. (Happened cause families could only afford as much)

There is a 'Church house" in the middle of Kampala. The Protestant church has been trying to build it for ages. People contribute and the money grows legs. Now a bank had to come in and finance it cause its prime property and once complete.they can charge some good rent and get what they owe....or simply sell it. The people passing by laughed and shook their

The slave is being discrete about the situation. Why hide one's head in the sand like an ostritch and hope the problem goes away?

Jehovah has reached out to us like he did in times past. He can cause a miracle and fill all the contribution boxes but no, he has given us an opportunity to show our LOYALTY and LOVE for him rather than concentrate on try to save face. ( What will the worldly people think)

Its personal. Will you and I heed the call or go off feeling slighted?

Yes, this is a reasonable request considering the huge expenditure being outlayed to further the preaching work.  And it was all spelt our where the funds would be going - in as much detail as possible.  We know that KHs need to be built, and branches have to be modified to cope with this increase.  We know the technological changes have accelerated the uptake of the truth.  We know that more campaigns and a ramping up of our preaching hours via the 30 hrs pioneering special activity will mean more people hearing the truth and more people making a stand.  And we also know that increasing disasters mean more funds will be needed to help our brothers and sisters.

Therefore it stands to reason that funds are required.  Not an unreasonable request at all.  Maybe we've never had it spelt out to us so evidently, but we have good reason to embrace this opportunity to use our valuable things in a more concerted way.  After all, when the GT starts, we won't have any use for the money and we'll be throwing it in the streets (or rather, the world will be).  No matter, we give what we can.  Jehovah doesn't expect us to do more than that.  This month's been a very enlightening program, and makes for a re-evaluation of ourselves as to what are we personally contributing to this last "push", be it in a material sense or time and effort.

In the past, under the "old" arrangement, I have seen many times that, after a Congregation paid off their loan, they experienced financial setbacks a few months later.

When the last loan payment was made and announced to the Congregation that they had now paid for the building their expenses would drop - at least, it seemed that way. Within the next few months some in the Congregation would see that a "surplus" was building up in the Congregations account and would begin lessen what they were contributing.

As this happened, the publishers would find other uses for their hard earned money, often times "spending" it on things bought on "credit". This would mean that funds that had been contributed to the Congregation was not "obligated" to more personal needs/wants. Then, when repair expenses occurred for the Hall, the funds would not be readily available and the Congregation could not afford the repairs or improvements needed.

I think this is one of the reasons this timely program was added to the May Broadcast - before we "obligate" needed funds to other things, we will still set aside the needed amount we used to give for the Kingdom Work.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In the past, under the "old" arrangement, I have seen many times that, after a Congregation paid off their loan, they experienced financial setbacks a few months later.

When the last loan payment was made and announced to the Congregation that they had now paid for the building their expenses would drop - at least, it seemed that way. Within the next few months some in the Congregation would see that a "surplus" was building up in the Congregations account and would begin lessen what they were contributing.

As this happened, the publishers would find other uses for their hard earned money, often times "spending" it on things bought on "credit". This would mean that funds that had been contributed to the Congregation was not "obligated" to more personal needs/wants. Then, when repair expenses occurred for the Hall, the funds would not be readily available and the Congregation could not afford the repairs or improvements needed.

I think this is one of the reasons this timely program was added to the May Broadcast - before we "obligate" needed funds to other things, we will still set aside the needed amount we used to give for the Kingdom Work.

Weather and man-made disasters are increasing at an alarming rate. You would be surprised at how much helping our brothers costs that have suffered uninsured loss ( the 'act of God' nonsense, or riot or act of war = no insurance )

Would you give $100 directly to a needy brother & his family who are in dire straits? Probably.  The organization is pooling that money to help our brothers, without taking $50 to $95 of your $100 for "administration costs" like professional charities do.. Your direct help of $100 would buy a couple bags of groceries, which is OK, however where will they put them if their home is unlivable?

This is what I have found in my life. For the most part those who have a lot are less generous than those who have little. The widows might at work.

We are asked to donate what we can afford, not what we can not afford.

The idea of Lending to Jehovah is a valid point. Recently I know of a family of little means, that their circumstances changed ( how they pay for Charged items on credit ) which allowed them to buy a new TV for an older couple, so they could watch the videos.

A few weeks later this family's vehicle needed substantial work, over $2000. They didn't have it. A brother borrowed the money from the bank for them ( remember they have stuff on credit ), to not only fix the vehicle but to pay off the high interest car loan. For about the same money each month they were paying on car loan, they now pay at a much reduced interest rate ( from 29.5% down to 4% which they would Never qualify for on their own ), what they save on interest pays for 1/2 of car repair.

Jehovah's hand is not short.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

There was a post earlier in the thread by Jellybean who described her reaction to the broadcast. She and her husband are looking for all sorts of ways to cut their family spending to the absolute minimum to donate more, even going as far as cashing in life assurance policies - that post got 9 "likes". I am just expressing my concern at what I see as a trend.

And Jellybean is to be commended. The widow Jesus talked about gave out of her want and not surplus like the rich did. The traveling merchant sold everything to buy that one pearl of high value. If the broadcast moves anyone to resume the contribution they made before the misconception arose, or better still, more than they currently are contributing (incl. policies, trusts, wills etc) then they are to be commended.

If I could, I would give EVERYTHING to support the Kingdom work. I wish I had more to give, but the little I give is 10000x whole souled!

The video is on our public web-TV channel and can be viewed by unbelieving relatives and interested ones. I feel concern for the impression it could give.

Thankfully we have nothing to hide! Have you perhaps thought of countries that are legally required to have another website for JWs (in addition to jw.org) and every change in congregation status must be posted for anyone to see, eg congregations splitting, merging, dissolutions etc. Since we have nothing sinister we do, we gladly comply with these.

So worry not about what anyone will say. If they wanted to say something, they would have already picked on imprisonments because of our faith (April broadcast), how the truth can divide families (March broadcast) etc.

They did it again. Snuck a couple of videos online while my back was turned :oops:

Oh and bye the way. Whiteboard Convention reminders is up too! :)

Actually I counted six new videos uploaded today. But that doesn't include the whiteboard animation you mentioned. I must have missed that one.

How many others did I miss?

Actually I counted six new videos uploaded today. But that doesn't include the whiteboard animation you mentioned. I must have missed that one.

How many others did I miss?

Six new videos? What are they?

Six new videos? What are they?

In the order they were released today:

Encourage Your Mate "Without a Word"

The Kalins: Printing Under Ban in Siberia

The Namgungs: Imprisoned for Their Faith

John Foster: Doing the Very Best I Can

Priscilla Lagno: He Told Me Not to Come Home

Never Give Up

But then, there's the one mentioned by Tilford above:

Mark Sanderson: Be Willing to Open Your Hand (Prov. 3:27)

And also:

Convention Reminders

Oh my, that makes eight new videos released today! So far. Are there any more?

Not all are new as in New - just clips from previous broadcasts

Yes. I forgot to mention that point. Except for Brother Sanderson's, they are all reruns we've seen somewhere before.

I thought it was great that they finally provided more languages for the program so that more brothers could enjoy them.  It is definitely a loving provision, as now more people can benefit from these broadcasts.  Relating to some of the content itself, I do see where some brothers might feel uneasy about the nature of the program, which in essence is a plea for us not to be negligent when it comes to the amount of donations we contribute.  I don't see anything wrong with making us aware of the financial situation our organization is in, in the same manner the monthly accounts report makes us aware.  However, like the monthly accounts report, I think some people would have preferred more specific numbers in regards to what our financial needs are.  Speaking about it generally, or via the example given regarding the selling off of our Brooklyn properties that also didn't provide specific numbers, doesn't really give us a clear and specific picture of the situation.  I come from a financial background, so I'm used to talking about specific numbers and have learned that it is always better to be clear about these things to avoid misconceptions or misunderstandings.  Besides, we are all adults, and when we discuss finances in our family, we always like to be clear and open about them so that it is easier for everyone to be on the same page.  This is the way we do it locally in the congregations, so I don't see a reason as to why we can't do it also on a global scale.

However, the only thing that did bother me a little was how they mentioned that their analysis showed that, based on all the projects they have planned, they do not foresee having all the needed funds to complete these projects.  It reminded me of Jesus' wise words in Luke 14:28: "For example, who of you wanting to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense to see if he has enough to complete it?"  I am also reminded of what Bro. Russel said long ago regarding how who it is that is really funding our organization.  His words can be found in the God's Kingdom Rules book, pages 195 & 196, where he is quoted as saying: "'Zion's Watch Tower' has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support.  When He who says: 'All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,' faild to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication." (Hag. 2:7-9).

Based on what Jehovah has already stated in the bible and our own publications, it would seem to me that if the finances show that we are not able to complete all these projects within our current budget, then maybe this is Jehovah's way of telling us we should try scaling things back a bit.  But again, I think it is wise to at least inform us of the situation so we can try to help.  But I would like to think that once everyone is made aware of the situation, if in the future the finances continue to show that there is still a shortfall in the budget, then I would think the wise course would be to scale things back a bit instead of encouraging us again to donate more.  Otherwise, it could be said that instead of trying to keep up with Jehovah's chariot, we may find that instead, we were trying to run ahead of it. 

However, the only thing that did bother me a little was how they mentioned that their analysis showed that, based on all the projects they have planned, they do not foresee having all the needed funds to complete these projects.  It reminded me of Jesus' wise words in Luke 14:28: "For example, who of you wanting to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense to see if he has enough to complete it?"

During the planning phase, they DID have enough funds and income to complete the projects. Apparently, their income has decreased, and this is a subtle reminder for those who may have have cut back on their donations for unnecessary reasons.

If someone has a housing payment that is easily paid by their wages, and they later get a demotion and are unable to make the housing payment anymore, is that a sign that they disobeyed Luke 14:28? Should they have saved up money for several decades and bought a house with cash?

However, the only thing that did bother me a little was how they mentioned that their analysis showed that, based on all the projects they have planned, they do not foresee having all the needed funds to complete these projects.

Although your thesis seems valid, you have missed the point.

1. The work is dramatically speeding up.

2. More halls are needed Now.

3.Our donations have Dropped.

4. Costs of the status quo have gone up dramatically. We are not stagnant, increasing building work to meet the increasing needs costs more. They have let us know.

5. Moses let it be known that Jehovah wanted to build the Tabernacle with gold, copper, etc. utensils. Donations flooded in without complaint.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Oh my, that makes eight new videos released today! So far. Are there any more?

How do you find out what is newly released on JW Broadcasting? Do you click through each subheading? I'm getting lost. :( But I do love playing clips again... especially the music video "Never give up." :headphones:

How do you find out what is newly released on JW Broadcasting?

All newly released videos can be found on the JW Broadcasting homepage, under the heading "Latest Videos".

Newly uploaded clips of previously released videos can be found under the "Featured" heading of each category.

How do you find out what is newly released on JW Broadcasting? Do you click through each subheading? I'm getting lost. :( But I do love playing clips again... especially the music video "Never give up." :headphones:

There is a place on main page that says "Latest Videos"

Newly uploaded clips of previously released videos can be found under the "Featured" heading of each category.

So you need to click through each category.

I like how the JW Library lists "What's New"