JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

costume party

There is going to be a 50's costume Graduation Party coming up and we were not sure if this is something that is within the boundaries of Jehovah's people. Yes it is being given by a Bro. and Sister in the congregation and in good standing.  I understand that it probably comes down to a conscience matter but does anyone know the branch, Organizations view on the matter? Way back and along time ago (90s) we were going to have a Innocent costume party for the friends but it was frowned upon by the some bro's on the Body of Elders so we just had a normal "get together".  Has that changed? If so what guidance do we have from Jehovah on this? Thanks for your direct answer. I understand this is probably going to create a whirl wind of talk but gotta start somewhere. :unsure:  

I like the 50's. .. Since I was born in the era ... I am still ok .. I think;) if I come .. Honest I won't come in diapers ...

Just went to a country and western barn dance ... Got to wear my cowboy boots and hat and danced the night away

And all the families got together and had a Caleb and Sophia party .. Lots of skits and good food

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

There is going to be a 50's costume Graduation Party coming up and we were not sure if this is something that is within the boundaries of Jehovah's people. Yes it is being given by a Bro. and Sister in the congregation and in good standing.  I understand that it probably comes down to a conscience matter but does anyone know the branch, Organizations view on the matter? Way back and along time ago (90s) we were going to have a Innocent costume party for the friends but it was frowned upon by the some bro's on the Body of Elders so we just had a normal "get together".  Has that changed? If so what guidance do we have from Jehovah on this? Thanks for your direct answer. I understand this is probably going to create a whirl wind of talk but gotta start somewhere. :unsure:  

I think it may be more of feelings from local bodies of elders.  

Personally, I think this sounds like fun.  Graduation Party and everyone dressing up in the '50s.  

There was an '80's party down here couple years back for the young ones and no one frowned.  There was also a formal dance for the young ones where boys wore suits and girls wore dresses like prom dresses.

I think a theme like you are having is a tad different from just announcing "costume party".  At a costume party, who knows what someone may dress as and how it may offend another brother/sisters.  '50's clothes though shouldn't offend anyone.

Toga, anyone?  I mean, we're going to be meeting people from all time periods.  Many of them will probably be appalled at our modern dress.  I do actually wonder how we will dress in the new system.  Will it be similar to what we wear in the western world now, or something else?  Maybe a bit of everything from any time period?

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

*** w89 11/1 p. 30 Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? ***
We can illustrate this in the matter of dress. The Bible requirement—God’s requirement—is that a Christian’s clothing must be neat and clean, well-arranged and not betraying a lack of “modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Timothy 2:9; 3:2) Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written” a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: “Let your reasonableness become known to all men”!—Philippians 4:5.

While we should follow the lead of our BoE and keep the peace when no scriptural principles are violated, some congregations do at times enforce rules that don't come directly from the slave or the Bible. And given the lack of written direction on costume parties, I'd expect that this is one of those times.

*** w89 11/1 p. 30 Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? ***

We can illustrate this in the matter of dress. The Bible requirement—God’s requirement—is that a Christian’s clothing must be neat and clean, well-arranged and not betraying a lack of “modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Timothy 2:9; 3:2) Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written” a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: “Let your reasonableness become known to all men”!—Philippians 4:5.

While we should follow the lead of our BoE and keep the peace when no scriptural principles are violated, some congregations do at times enforce rules that don't come directly from the slave or the Bible. And given the lack of written direction on costume parties, I'd expect that this is one of those times.

Exactly. I remember that article when it first came out. Now, why didn't I think of it? I even remember that afterwards, brothers were either quoting or alluding to that article in some way in talks or other program parts, for several years following it. Good point.

post-1993-0-40251700-1437001304.jpg

Brother, about 25 yrs ago we had a 50's party here at my house.  Actually, a huge congregation party - word got out about the gathering and many from many congregations came.  Everyone really enjoyed themselves.  We have a big yard so there was plenty of room.  The girls dressed with full skirts and some had poodle dogs sewn on them; they wore pony tails; the men/boys just wore jeans and tee shirts, etc.  We had lots of games and fun things to do.  The food was delicious and we still talk about the party.  We even had 50's music.  I took video and now, 25 yrs later, everyone wants to see the film again and again.  We have seen it many times and we enjoy it more and more.  It is fun to see and sad at the same time because we see faces of those we love who have passed away or those who have given up spiritually.  Many of the young men are now elders and many men/women are regular pioneers or aux pioneers.  How we have grown!  We thank Jehovah we have one another.  And, by the way, the first couple at the party was the PO and his wife.  Our elders kept an open eye on all the goings-on and we had no problems.  But, that was 25 yrs ago.  A good idea is to talk w/your elders and listen to their advise and suggestions.   If you have the party, enjoy it and take pictures.  You will enjoy it for a long time over and over again.  

There is something tickling my mind ( I have one that works - some of the time :ph34r:  ) Costume parties that entail Costumes that hide a person's idenity, such as full dog costumes with head piece ( we had a party that a couple came as dogs - 30 years ago ) may not be appropriate.

This is especially true today with prevalence of apostates and sexual predators.

A 50's party In My Not So Humble Opinion would be fine, in fact we were going to have one this fall until my health or lack there of acted up again. My wife was main organizer.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have put on several comedy/ talent shows in different congregations, and different states. I remember that one went off without negative feedback, but also without much support, and I had to run like crazy to organize it, but everyone liked it in the end and the children had fun (all participated). I was commended by an elder, who said, "You've really taken the lead in paying attention to the needs of our young ones."  In a different cong, a diff show, a young elder's wife just came up to me in KH and sad emphatically (hands on hip), "I don't agree with it!" I felt badly as I had worked on including every young person in an act (If they chose to be included). Later, I found that she was in a power struggle with another sister that had been friends with her widowed husband (before he married her) and wanted her new stepson to NOT interact with children in our cong. It had nothing to do with the show. Some people felt I was not qualified to organize such an activity as I did not have a husband in the truth (I do have a husband, who once got us free use of his school's gymnasium for a show.) He, himself didn't attend. In most cases, these events went off wonderfully, with all participating, including elders and our then PO. We also did a Bible character costume party at my home and that went off well. In another instance, we did a practice for a comedy/talent show and the COBE's sister didn't like my act. I asked our cong. secretary, a mature Bethelite, and he said my number was fine and lighthearted and he enjoyed it and endorsed it. His wife was scheduled to be in our show, too. The COBE's sister called me and told me to change my act. Her idea was to make it more of a formal meal than an actual show, b/c she enjoys working with food. I did tell her that this was the act the cong. secretary had viewed and approved for this show, and the show never happened. That was the only one that got kaboshed. Subsequently, another gathering took place which was expensive (rent a hall) and mostly food. A couple of acts were put together such as singing Kingdom Songs or reciting scriptures. And it was wonderful. I was invited as a guest but not as a performer. Who cares? The young ones had fun, and many of the older ones did, too. You can't please everyone. Have fun. Most 50s songs are not objectionable. 

p.s. I remember another sister telling me that she and her husband had reversed roles and dressed up in opposite gender costumes for a party and later learned that was verboten. She still liked to tell the story of her husband in a blonde curly wig, and said, "Oh, yeah, that's before we were told not to."   :exclamation:

Peter tweaked something in my memory about Masquerade Balls and wild Parties

*** w83 10/15 p. 22 par. 2 Reject Worldly Desires! ***

Sadly, however, not all those claiming to love Jehovah have always honored him and given clear evidence that they have rejected worldly desires or ways. It is reported that certain dedicated Christian men attended a masquerade party dressed as women. Could such behavior be considered unworldly or an honor to Jehovah? Surely, actions of that kind are not what we would expect of those who are “no part of the world.” (John 15:19) Why, under most circumstances a man wearing a woman’s wig and clothing would not only appear effeminate but also open the way to propositions for unnatural sex use by other men!—Deuteronomy 22:5.

I remember from this time some were putting on some pretty elaborate parties and also some theme parties people came dressed as babies or cross dressing, famous immoral movie stars...etc... moderation was not the theme of the day ....

Let all things take place decently and by arrangement ...should really be the theme.

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

We have had some with people dressed as Bible Characters - one sister even put a pillow under her outfit to be "Mary" (while pregnant).

We have had skits and other themes.

I have taken my photo booth.

This is with the Elders in attendance, helping and often participating.

We recently had a wedding reception where the husbands were asked to "sing a song to their wife" (it was being played on the sound system) while dancing for their seated wives. It was hilarious - OH, included in the ones dancing were a CO, two sub-CO's, several Elders, and a couple Bethelites

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Masquerade balls, as I understand it, featured people completely disguised, which is why the word masquerading means false representation - from Wiki on Masquerade Balls  "a significant anti-masquerade movement grew alongside the balls themselves. The anti-masquerade writers (among them such notables as Samuel Richardson) held that the events encouraged immorality and "foreign influence".I believe the masqueraders at the balls made plans while disguised and met later to reveal themselves.  I did read the 83 article, Reject Worldly Desires, it did mention men disguising themselves as women. I did not find the word party anywhere else in that article.  I cannot fathom how wearing clothing from a previous fashion era, for a get together, could represent "Worldly Desires."   :popcorn: 

Masquerade balls, as I understand it, featured people completely disguised, which is why the word masquerading means false representation - from Wiki on Masquerade Balls "a significant anti-masquerade movement grew alongside the balls themselves. The anti-masquerade writers (among them such notables as Samuel Richardson) held that the events encouraged immorality and "foreign influence".I believe the masqueraders at the balls made plans while disguised and met later to reveal themselves. I did read the 83 article, Reject Worldly Desires, it did mention men disguising themselves as women. I did not find the word party anywhere else in that article. I cannot fathom how wearing clothing from a previous fashion era, for a get together, could represent "Worldly Desires." :popcorn:

Well it depends on what it repreaents of course. The clothes we wear every day are a reflection of the world to some degree. Even the suits and dresses we wear to theocratic events had their origen with some worldly style.

But sometimes particular worldly attitudes are recalled by reviving an old style of dress. If someone had a 60s party and some dressed like hippies, wouldnt that be seen as a representation of free sex and drugs?So careful thought and caution needs to be taken.

That is not true of all eras though and so balance us needed. With the 50s, most people usually associate that time period with a generally more innocent time.

Edited by JSmith

Well it depends on what it repreaents of course. The clothes we wear every day are a reflection of the world to some degree. Even the suits and dresses we wear to theocratic events had their origen with some worldly style.

But sometimes particular worldly attitudes are recalled by reviving an old style of dress. If someone had a 60s party and some dressed like hippies, wouldnt that be seen as a representation of free sex and drugs?So careful thought and caution needs to be taken.

That is not true of all eras though and so balance us needed. With the 50s, most people usually associate that time period with a generally more innocent time.

Well written.

That is an excellent reminder about costume parties. I remember hearing how some may dress up as a pirate or other infamous character and that is really glamorizing their wrong conduct.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That is an excellent reminder about costume parties. I remember hearing how some may dress up as a pirate or other infamous character and that is really glamorizing their wrong conduct.

Our publishers put on a costume party for a number of years. Each successive party featured more outlandish costumes. There were mummies, pirates, witches (of Endor?) and the harlot Babylon. 

It was decided to not encourage such behavior and we stopped the costume parties

Such parties should have a few ground rules as to what is allowed and what is not.

Can be fun.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.