JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is time travel possible?

28 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Yes as in the star trekky and other sci fi movie perceptions of time travel. I don't think physically we will ever time travel - because I agree with your reasoning on that, but Jehovah may choose to let us view the future like he did with John in the future ... if its in line with will. So yeah depends on your perception of TT.

I don't  think Jehovah needs to show us the future ...  After the final test there is only one future a good future 

life will be good ever happy  

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Jehovah only reveals the future to those he wants according to his will within the contraints he chooses, we can logically conclude that he did not do it with the angels in regards to the earth you are correct, but we don't know what heavenly life involves away from issues pertaining to the earth, we may never know. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 1 year later...

Finally found this thread. Time to imagine an unimaginable imagination.  

If how it's been predicted sorry, no,  theorized is the word - that the closer you approach the speed of light the slower time travels. therefore at some point you can go fast enough that time will stand still.   Really?  So to slow time down I have to move faster? So, it all sounds like an oxymoron to me.  That will be the least fun thing to ever exist because time flies when your having fun.  Good thing that Dr. Who's Tardis  doesn't base time travel on the speed of light then. But that's another story.

Douglas Adams described it best - time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

I say, Time is all in our head. Well , actually in our hearts is where Jehovah put time indefinite.  Eccl. 3:11

Here is my Theory: Time actually does not exist. Time is a constant. Time does not go forward or backwards. Time stands still. But we move around in time. The only way we understand the movement of time is by the movement of the objects around us. How do we calculate time? By using reference markers that are already moving such as the earth and the moon.  Jehovah set up the moon to help calculate times and seasons.  Therefore, everything in the universe that moves is set up to be one big clock and then we break it down into smaller pieces by making smaller clocks to measure smaller increments.   If nothing in the universe ever moved then we would be totally messed up.

Time does not exist for Jehovah as we understand time.  Jehovah is the same, he does not change. then he helps us to understand it by saying he is from time indefinite to time indefinite. Why? because he has no reference markers for us to fathom or comprehend. Where is the center of infinity? Every point of an infinite line is the centre. If the universe is infinite, then every point would be the center. Jehovah is center of everything.

The old word for everlasting life is  -Ionian life - I remember looking up a definition once and it said something like - its life without consideration to time, past, present or future.

BUT, do we Need time and to measure time? You bet your boots we do. It's one of the greatest marvels of creation, well that and the toaster of course......

Time will tell who replies to this fun and entertaining thread.  Does that mean time talks too much or not enough?  Can we actually say  - Times up? It's all relative really.  And lastly , Eccl 3:7

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

44 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Finally found this thread. Time to imagine an unimaginable imagination.  

If how it's been predicted sorry, no,  theorized is the word - that the closer you approach the speed of light the slower time travels. therefore at some point you can go fast enough that time will stand still.   Really?  So to slow time down I have to move faster? So, it all sounds like an oxymoron to me.  That will be the least fun thing to ever exist because time flies when your having fun.  Good thing that Dr. Who's Tardis  doesn't base time travel on the speed of light then. But that's another story.

Douglas Adams described it best - time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

I say, Time is all in our head. Well , actually in our hearts is where Jehovah put time indefinite.  Eccl. 3:11

Here is my Theory: Time actually does not exist. Time is a constant. Time does not go forward or backwards. Time stands still. But we move around in time. The only way we understand the movement of time is by the movement of the objects around us. How do we calculate time? By using reference markers that are already moving such as the earth and the moon.  Jehovah set up the moon to help calculate times and seasons.  Therefore, everything in the universe that moves is set up to be one big clock and then we break it down into smaller pieces by making smaller clocks to measure smaller increments.   If nothing in the universe ever moved then we would be totally messed up.

Time does not exist for Jehovah as we understand time.  Jehovah is the same, he does not change. then he helps us to understand it by saying he is from time indefinite to time indefinite. Why? because he has no reference markers for us to fathom or comprehend. Where is the center of infinity? Every point of an infinite line is the centre. If the universe is infinite, then every point would be the center. Jehovah is center of everything.

The old word for everlasting life is  -Ionian life - I remember looking up a definition once and it said something like - its life without consideration to time, past, present or future.

BUT, do we Need time and to measure time? You bet your boots we do. It's one of the greatest marvels of creation, well that and the toaster of course......

Time will tell who replies to this fun and entertaining thread.  Does that mean time talks too much or not enough?  Can we actually say  - Times up? It's all relative really.  And lastly , Eccl 3:7

Maybe you wanted to say that the arrow of time is an illusion instead that time doesn't exist. In fact the arrow of time points from the most ordered situation to a least ordered situation as we perceive the events. The illusion is in the fact that the order only makes sense in a macroscopic set of objects. If we imagine just a sub-atomic particle, for example an electron, it is always in the same situation. For it, there isn't any arrow of time and we can forget about time altogether in the description of its doings

Just as much energy and matter are equivalent, there's a certain equivalence between space and time. You can imagine changing the direction of time but it would only change the perceivable direction in terms of disorder/order > The modulos of time would be always positive - into the future. You can change the direction you are walking in space but the amount of space you travel is always positive - You can't travel a negative distance

In my opinion time travel, that is, going backwards in time to the past and redo some wrong doings, is scientifically (and biblically) impossible (traveling to the future is easily possible and has been done several times)

time and distance are relative in the sense that they are measured by different observers differently. That difference should be perceived by a human if the observers are traveling near the speed speed of light in relation to each other (each observer would "see" time and distance of the other observer as different but each observer, in their own referential wouldn't notice any change in time or distance. the thing is that since it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light (it's provable)  it's impossible to shrink the distance past zero or shrink time past zero

Besides, if it would be possible to go back in time, everything would go back, including our molecules in the body, our clothes and mainly our mind... So if time would go back, no one would notice it!

true my theory has holes in it. Yes times only moves forward. I wonder if time is similar to light in the sense that just as we can only see the visible narrow spectrum of light , there is a narrow band of time and space that we can see.

So if your saying that time is based on the perspective of the observer, then it took me forever to reply to you.

Is there a condition where a person tries to think seriously about a topic and then uses humor to make light of the topic  so that the brain doesn't have a full meltdown? :perplexed:

there are more reasons why time travel is  impossible.

If you could go back in time and meet yourself, then a time machine could also act as a cloning machine. Now that's a scary thought.

Or if you cannot meet yourself by going back in time, who else can you not meet?

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

I have very little knowledge about the theories of time but it seems they treat time as an object that you can measure, see the beginning and see the end and see everything in between. I don't think of time as being an object so there isn't anyway to measure time, but we do measure the passage of time.

For example, if I pointed to an object and said it was an inch long, you would understand that I was using a unit of measure to describe an object that had a beginning and end. However, if I pointed to the air and said it was an inch long, it wouldn't make sense because there was no object to measure, no beginning and no end.

So for me, discussing time as an object is like trying to find an inch of nothingness...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I have very little knowledge about the theories of time but it seems they treat time as an object that you can measure, see the beginning and see the end and see everything in between. I don't think of time as being an object so there isn't anyway to measure time, but we do measure the passage of time.

For example, if I pointed to an object and said it was an inch long, you would understand that I was using a unit of measure to describe an object that had a beginning and end. However, if I pointed to the air and said it was an inch long, it wouldn't make sense because there was no object to measure, no beginning and no end.

So for me, discussing time as an object is like trying to find an inch of nothingness...

Actually you can measure air also... You can measure it's pressure and also the amount of particles it has

Also the measurements are also biased due to the fact that you can only take a measurement with the precision that is related to how small your measurement instrument scale is. For instance,  the smallest thing we can see (even using the maximum amplification imaginable in a microscope) is something that is bigger than the smallest wavelength of light. Bellow that we can't use light but use the electrons wavelength... Eventually we reach a dimension where we can't see anything at least with the same sense of seeing... At those dimensions we just deal with probabilities and the meaning of trajectories and dimensions is no more... For instance, if we measure a beginning and an ending that doesn't mean that there's something in between. At those dimensions (quanta dimensions or Planck dimemsions) is where all the weirdness of the world happens. But it's where the impossible things can happen also,  like teleportation, passing through walls, things being created out of absolute nothing, and not having to worry about time at all

I have often mediated on the ability to travel in time. Of course we all do it every day :)

But, it can only be done forward. Perhaps it may be possible in the future to be suspended someway to wake up years or decades later without aging - if that is what it takes to travel in space. I imagine it will seem like that for resurrected ones - imagine Enoch transport from the beginning of human history to the New World. That is some serious time traveling.

But in reverse must be impossible. That would require rewinding Jehovah. That is not possible. Just a scriptural thought to that - Jesus died ONCE FOR ALL TIME. There must be no way to rewind to before that.

Seeing the past (perhaps in a vision) may be possible - if Jehovah wills that. Also, we are already able to do that on a small scale - with recordings.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 08/03/2016 at 2:48 PM, Shawnster said:

If a time traveler from the future after Satan and the demons are destroyed goes back in time, would that allow Satan or the demons from the past to hop on that time ship and come into the future after they'd been destroyed?

Interesting thought that. If time travel is a possible reality, then that seems to introduce different dimensions. Are people really dead, are people really alive? A person dies, but then you go back, put them on a time machine to the future after they are dead, are they the same consciousness? If a person dies but are alive in the past, it means they are still technically conscious somewhere.... but....  "The dead are conscious of nothing at all"

OR would the nature of time simply speed them up to their death/reverse them to their birth? So if we built a time machine going back to ancient times, would we get there? Or would we vanish/de-age inside the machine the further we got back? Or Satan on the time machine coming to the future, would he rapidly die in the time machine as soon as you got past the point in time of his placement in Gehenna?  

Or perhaps activating the machine to go backwards literally, we press the button, and we start walking in reverse, away from the machine, we see ourselves unpress the button, deconstruct the machine it's self, and we just keep rewinding back to the point we set in the machine, loosing our memories along the way?

Or, would trying to go back in time cancel it's self out? We hit reverse, then we start going backwards, but only as far as unhitting the button which stops the whole process? :lol:

They say that that the  light we see from stars is ancient history, since how light travels. So if we used a light themed source of time travel, it would only be like watching a film. A delayed visual being brought to the present from the past, but nothing physical. 

I'd say time is only "now", the past no longer exists. It can be recorded, remembered and can visually travel in forms of light, but nothing else. The future is an interesting one for me, it makes me wonder how Jehovah sees the future and if there are "multiple" futures. I know that the current explanation of God's power of foresight is that he simply "chooses" when to use it, rather than doing it all the time. As we know he experiences joys and surprises. I wonder though if that the future is always in motion, that Jehovah can see multiple futures at once when he looks down at the universe. Our actions and free will along the way decide which one of those come true, as well as Jehovah's will of course, in that perhaps he can see multiple outcomes, and when he makes a prophecy, he guides events along the way to ensure "that" outcome. And perhaps the reading people's hearts and minds sometimes ensures Jehovah of a singular future for some people, in some cases multiple futures come up, when someone has to make a choice, where as others who are hard hearted forever do not have such multiple futures and perhaps that's how he decides how to deal with certain people or nations in the past.  

Of course this is a simplification of the idea, Jehovah is beyond us, but you know what I'm getting at with the multiple future/calculations/manipulations idea. Or perhaps, there is no future, but Jehovah simply tells what he will make happen at a certain time, an advanced version of " I'm going to make a sandwich for her in one hour" and along the way you prepare the materials as time goes by. Perhaps he "creates" futures when prophesying in some cases. Whilst other futures are simply the reading of the hearts, minds and plans of men during the moment, being able to strategically calculate with his superior mind whether that plan or idea the man conjured will come into reality or not. 

Edited by EccentricM

When I was about 10 I was in a science lesson at school and the teacher asked 'How long did [some speedy event] take to happen?'

I replied that it had happened instantly, in no time at all. He said that everything takes some amount of time to happen.

So my question is:

How long does it take for an object to go from not-moving to moving? (Relative to my point of view - or whatever else I need to add!)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+time+quantized&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

(Other search engines are available.)

As for time travel, I think not - not backwards anyway. But I wonder if we will travel to the stars at enormous speeds. What does it matter if thousands of years have passed for those I return to if we have perfect memories and live forever?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

When I was about 10 I was in a science lesson at school and the teacher asked 'How long did [some speedy event] take to happen?'
I replied that it had happened instantly, in no time at all. He said that everything takes some amount of time to happen.

So my question is:
How long does it take for an object to go from not-moving to moving? (Relative to my point of view - or whatever else I need to add!)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+time+quantized&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
(Other search engines are available.)

As for time travel, I think not - not backwards anyway. But I wonder if we will travel to the stars at enormous speeds. What does it matter if thousands of years have passed for those I return to if we have perfect memories and live forever?

John described a kind of time travel in Revelation 1:10 and 4:1-3:

"By inspiration I came to be in the Lord’s day."

"After this I saw, and look! an opened door in heaven, and the first voice that I heard speaking with me was like a trumpet, saying: 'Come up here, and I will show you the things that must take place.' After this I immediately came to be in the power of the spirit, and look! a throne was in its position in heaven, and someone was seated on the throne. And the One seated had the appearance of a jasper stone and a sardius stone, and all around the throne was a rainbow like an emerald in appearance."

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 8 months later...

What if everything exist all at once and we just perceive it as time flow so that we can process it. :confused:

How does Jehovah see history? Is he flowing through it (time), so to speak, as we do? Or is he outside of it (time), and is able to see it all at once..if he chooses.

For example, A person on the street watches a parade go by, and is limited by what he can see in his limited scope of things. He has to wait to see what will come next.

We know that Jehovah can know the beginning and the end of everything. So being outside of time he could have a different view....perhaps like a birds eye view of all future events.  

Einstein said, time exist so that everything doesn’t happen all at once.:lol:

food for thought. :coffee:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Of course time travel is possible but it includes some inconvenient death and being resurrected in Paradise ... some will travel this way thousands of years into the future LOL :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I do not know if it relates, but i really like this passage ...
I just stumbled on this thread, and it's fun and thought provoking at the same time. I have to re-read and try soak some of this in...

2 Cor 12:1-4

1 I have to boast. It is not beneficial, but I will move on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I know a man in union with Christ who, 14 years ago—whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows—was caught away to the third heaven.
3 Yes, I know such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know; God knows—
4 who was caught away into paradise and heard words that cannot be spoken and that are not lawful for a man to say.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

16 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Of course time travel is possible but it includes some inconvenient death and being resurrected in Paradise ... some will travel this way thousands of years into the future LOL :whistling:

Time certainly is relative. When we sleep we perceive time differently. When we’re dead we don’t perceive it at all. So when Abel is reasurrected even after thousands of years..., to him it will seem as the blink of an eye. 

I think “time travel” is only possible for someone living outside of time and not affected by it.....namely Jehovah. 

10 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

I do not know if it relates, but i really like this passage ...
I just stumbled on this thread, and it's fun and thought provoking at the same time. I have to re-read and try soak some of this in...

2 Cor 12:1-4

1 I have to boast. It is not beneficial, but I will move on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I know a man in union with Christ who, 14 years ago—whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows—was caught away to the third heaven.
3 Yes, I know such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know; God knows—
4 who was caught away into paradise and heard words that cannot be spoken and that are not lawful for a man to say.

I think what Paul seen and John in the Revelation experienced was simply a vision of the future. But that vision was provided by one who could actually see the real future events. These visions were given mainly in signs and symbols, and only relevant things. So it’s not like they could see Warwick or a Brooklyn and automobiles etc.etc...

If I could time travel I would go back to when I was younger and have a long serious talk with myself.    :huh::tsk:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I think my wife has mastered time travel. She tells me she will be ready in a minute and it takes half an hour. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think my wife has mastered time travel. She tells me she will be ready in a minute and it takes half an hour. 
It's all relative, I say it's a short 5 min chat after the meeting... It seems like 10 minutes, but goes for an hour!

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

On 1/19/2018 at 5:00 PM, Tortuga said:

My wife is so slow, it takes her an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes. :no:

If I had a time machine, I would buy Big Mac meal (McDonald's ) travel back to Noah's time, and try to convince him that  this is one of the most popular foods consumed during last days LOL

:lol1:

Hopefully my post does not make anyone hungry? :o

index.jpg

Edited by Gregexplore