JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is time travel possible?

When you think of it Jehovah has allowed a lot of things from the time of Adam and Eve. Allowed Satan to exist after his rebellion.... allowed him to return to the heavens and influence others...allowed the demons to materialize as humans and allowed them to procreate are just some starters. Is it possible that Jehovah has allowed time travel for humans with the assistance of the Demons? Think about it. There are so many TV shows, movies and books about time travel. Maybe He is allowed it in certain circumstances. From 2 different sources, one whom I have great respect I have heard stories of time travel. Or is it just fiction? Who knows? 

Time would go backwards within a system traveling at a speed greater than that of light. But, the same theory that predicts this, "if" the speed of the system would go beyond the speed of light, is the same theory saying that its impossible to surpass the speed of light. Not even neutrinos, which are massless particles, can do that (although some news surfacing the net suggested that, erroneously)

One other hypothesis would be by going through a supposedly existing wormhole that would deform the space-time fabric in such a way that one entering it would go out before he has entered it... The number of paradoxes generated by this supposition is huge.

I don't believe man can go back in time... Even if he could, his mind would go back also and he wouldn't even remember that he did came from the future

On the other hand, Jehovah, the creator of time, can do whatever he wants with it because he lives outside of time (search this latest sentence on this forum because I already posted plenty of information about it)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

Of course it is!  You just need the right car going at 88 mph and 1.21 gigawatts of electricity. :)

I do wonder if the spirit realm is governed by the same laws of time as our physical universe.  Maybe not.  If you think about the meaning of Jehovah's name, he can do anything he like, even with time.

We all travel forward in time 1 second at a time.  

Time slows down for any object approaching the speed of light.  The faster an object goes, the slower time "flows" for that object.  This is a basic fact that had to be accounted for with the GPS satellites orbiting the Earth.  Now, at the speeds those satellites orbit, the difference is negligible and unnoticeable to our perception but it is measurable by a computer.

As for time travelling humans as we see depicted in the movies, does it seem reasonable that Jehovah would allow or purpose that?  What possible benefit would we humans experience?  Would Jehovah want or allow a perfect human from the New System, for example, to go back in time to this sinful era and be exposed to Satanic or demonic influence?  If a time traveler from the future after Satan and the demons are destroyed goes back in time, would that allow Satan or the demons from the past to hop on that time ship and come into the future after they'd been destroyed?

The main desires or reasons stories give for time travel boil down to 2 main reasons - 1.  To see the sights and events of that time period (the Pyramids being built, Christ's ministry and execution, etc...) or 2.  To meet people and historical figures from the past or 3.  to see what the future will be like.  These stories do not take into account Jehovah's purpose.  Jehovah will resurrect all those in the memorial tombs.  While we won't be seeing the events as they unfold, we will be able to meet the people and historical figures from all eras of humanity's past.   Further, those who live forever will see what the future will be like without needing to jump into a time machine.  

Will any perfect human want to come back to this time period and see this sinful world?  Will any perfect human be impatient enough to skip ahead to the future as opposed t living their life and getting to the future naturally?

We all travel forward in time 1 second at a time.  

Time slows down for any object approaching the speed of light.  The faster an object goes, the slower time "flows" for that object.  This is a basic fact that had to be accounted for with the GPS satellites orbiting the Earth.  Now, at the speeds those satellites orbit, the difference is negligible and unnoticeable to our perception but it is measurable by a computer.

As for time travelling humans as we see depicted in the movies, does it seem reasonable that Jehovah would allow or purpose that?  What possible benefit would we humans experience?  Would Jehovah want or allow a perfect human from the New System, for example, to go back in time to this sinful era and be exposed to Satanic or demonic influence?  If a time traveler from the future after Satan and the demons are destroyed goes back in time, would that allow Satan or the demons from the past to hop on that time ship and come into the future after they'd been destroyed?

The main desires or reasons stories give for time travel boil down to 2 main reasons - 1.  To see the sights and events of that time period (the Pyramids being built, Christ's ministry and execution, etc...) or 2.  To meet people and historical figures from the past or 3.  to see what the future will be like.  These stories do not take into account Jehovah's purpose.  Jehovah will resurrect all those in the memorial tombs.  While we won't be seeing the events as they unfold, we will be able to meet the people and historical figures from all eras of humanity's past.

Or 4, to change something in the past (like the current TVshow "11.22.63")

31 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Or 4, to change something in the past (like the current TVshow "11.22.63")

And that brings up some classic paradoxes that are covered in various science fiction stories.

1.  Time is immutable and cannot be changed.  What happened, happened.  Any time traveler going back in time to change history will fail OR his changes were supposed to happen.   (The Time Traveler's Wife)

2.  Time cannot be changed but the traveler was meant to go back in time and be a part of history.  It's a predestination paradox.  (Time Rider - The Adventures of Lyle Swan)

3.  Time can be changed, but this causes a new reality to be created.  When the time traveler returns home, history was changed and the reality he (or she) returns to is different than the one he left.  Hitler was never born, etc...  Sometimes the change is for the better, sometimes for the worse.  (Man in the High Castle, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Back to the Future)

The problem with trying to change the past is, if you are successful, then there is no reason for you to go back in time because history was changed before you were born.  If you go back in time to prevent HItler from being born, then Hitler is never born, then there is no reason for you to go back in time).

Spoiler for a time paradox in the movie Somewhere in Time.

Spoiler

The movie Somewhere in Time starts with an old woman giving Christopher Reeve a watch and asking him to "come back to me".  Christopher Reeve takes the watch, goes back in time and meets Jane Seymour.  At the end of the movie Jane Seymour is looking at the watch when Reeve is thrown forward back to his own time, leaving Seymour holding the watch.  Seymour's character ages, becomes the old woman we see at the beginning of the movie.

So, where did the watch originally come from?

Edited by Shawnster

8 hours ago, waccamacca said:

Just all relative you think. I think not. :o) Just having fun. 

Oh yeah Tim, I was just jesting as well. 

While this is a fun subject to bounce around I pretty much agree with Shawnster.  I don't think it is possible or likely that humans will ever 'time travel '

One of the problems that movies and writings point out about time travel is relativity, which I was rather obliquely referencing in my opening comment. 

I don't believe that will be an issue for us, in the New System.  If we develop perfect drive units, FTL  or what have you,  relativity as it pertains to aging will be a non event. If we all live forever,  we all have perfect bodies, if someone were to explore a gravity well of some type and be in it for a day or so, what does it matter if the others outside 'age'(?) a thousand years more than he?

We could just meet up for drinks on Betelgeuse or Andramada, or someplace local, and he would have a cool story to share. ..:cowboy::coffee:

Well the apostle John time travelled via a vision although he did not physically travel in time, he did in his mind, possibly seeing things he did not understand and could only convey in the words he knew. So yes I think it is very possible, but only via Jehovah and not physically.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Spoiler for a time paradox in the movie Somewhere in Time.

Reveal hidden contents

The movie Somewhere in Time starts with an old woman giving Christopher Reeve a watch and asking him to "come back to me".  Christopher Reeve takes the watch, goes back in time and meets Jane Seymour.  At the end of the movie Jane Seymour is looking at the watch when Reeve is thrown forward back to his own time, leaving Seymour holding the watch.  Seymour's character ages, becomes the old woman we see at the beginning of the movie.

So, where did the watch originally come from?

As Christopher Reeve regretted saying.."Penny for your thoughts?"

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What would be your best time travel related book ?

Something just occurred to me ! The Bible in a sense touches on time travel because it describes events 1000 years ahead.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes brother Greg ... in fact I've often wondered what John really saw ... he may have seen a photo snap of today's world but could not put it into words, or into words that we today relate to.

All things that will be answered in time. But nothing is impossible with Jehovah - but to balance that - everything in its due course, according to HIS will.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have a bit of difficulty with time travel and the single issue of universal sovereignty... And free moral decision makers... It smacks of predestination ..but maybe it is just my prejudices coming through

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

It doesn't mean time travel without restrictions. Even now the demons are under certain restrictions and cannot do everything they want especially in regards to God's people. Even the angels must be surprised how the human race has progressed/deteriorated since the creation of Adam. The issue of universal sovereignty has had far reaching effects since it was first raised in the garden of Eden.  it-2 pp. 1008-1012

Yes as in the star trekky and other sci fi movie perceptions of time travel. I don't think physically we will ever time travel - because I agree with your reasoning on that, but Jehovah may choose to let us view the future like he did with John in the future ... if its in line with will. So yeah depends on your perception of TT.