JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Odd baby names

Our speaker today happened to mention during his talk that he had heard that someone named their baby 'Jehovah'. I'm not surprised that might happen, I just haven't heard that before now.

Has anyone heard of any parents naming their baby 'Jehovah', 'Satan', 'Jezebel' or any other unusual name, specifically a Bible related name?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, anniebea said:

Thankfully no. ....always be careful what you name your 'baby'    they won't thank you when their older !!!

I've heard stories of children being named Orangejello and Lemonjello and even being named profanity but I can't recall hearing any child being named Jehovah...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have never heard it with my own ears but I did read once where some parents in Africa had hear that was God's name and named their children Jehovah or Yawheh, I guess supposing it would help protect their child or because they simply liked how it sounded, not realizing the importance of the divine name!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

4 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

I have never heard it with my own ears but I did read once where some parents in Africa had hear that was God's name and named their children Jehovah or Yawheh, I guess supposing it would help protect their child or because they simply liked how it sounded, not realizing the importance of the divine name!

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm trying to find a way to confirm it...

Our neighbor has a little boy named, "Jesus". I tried to say it like I have heard it pronounced by Hispanics, "Heysus". J pronounced as an h. Nope, my husband said. They call him, "Jesus". If necessary, he will be, "young man", to me, from here on out. I am not calling any little kid, "Jesus". 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

There was a woman who hated Jehovah's Witnesses. She called her dog "Jehovah" :tsk:. Later on that dog attacked her :shutup:. A now departed sister told me this years ago. I believe experience was from Vancouver, BC area.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 hour ago, pnutts said:

There was a woman who hated Jehovah's Witnesses. She called her dog "Jehovah" :tsk:. Later on that dog attacked her :shutup:. A now departed sister told me this years ago. I believe experience was from Vancouver, BC area.

I heard this same "tall tale" from Mexico. 

Daughter when younger was adamant she was going to call her son if she has one - Cletus Festus and her daughter was going to be Hogla (from a bible reading).

I attended a bible study with a publisher many years ago - and they had a jet black doberman - they called Satan - so during the study she would call Satan quite often - it wasn't the best scenario.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

11 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I attended a bible study with a publisher many years ago - and they had a jet black doberman - they called Satan - so during the study she would call Satan quite often - it wasn't the best scenario.

I think I would have to 'accidentally ' call it  'satin', no matter how many times I was corrected. .:ph34r::nope:

There was a sister in here that gave an experience of going to the door and the woman had two boys - one was named Jehovah and the other one was named Jesus.  The sister asked the woman if she knew where the name "Jehovah" came from and the woman said she didn't.  It wasn't all that long ago that was posted in here either.  It would be terrible if someone who was legally named Jehovah came into the truth!  I would think they would move heaven and earth to change their name!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Here is a truly "odd" baby name (I would hate my parents for doing this to me) - I was watching people's court one day when a woman named "Smurfette" was on as a plaintiff in a case.  The judge asked her if that was her legal, given name.  She said "yes".  I would HATE to go through life with a name like that!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

1 hour ago, shali said:

There was a sister in here that gave an experience of going to the door and the woman had two boys - one was named Jehovah and the other one was named Jesus.  The sister asked the woman if she knew where the name "Jehovah" came from and the woman said she didn't.  It wasn't all that long ago that was posted in here either.  It would be terrible if someone who was legally named Jehovah came into the truth!  I would think they would move heaven and earth to change their name!

I saw an old movie, forget the name, about a pioneer family in the mid west. Young man named his  work horse 'Jehovah', not knowing the source of the name. His father came into the barn and the young man was trying to get 'Jehovah' back in his stall and used the name. The old man grabbed a bridle off the wall and proceeded to beat his son thoroughly for using God's name in vain. The son's excuse " I thought it was powerful name." or something similar. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

These have nothing to do with a religious name, directly. But these kids exist. I know first hand. Siblings. Temptation, and, Infallible. I kid you not.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

23 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

These have nothing to do with a religious name, directly. But these kids exist. I know first hand. Siblings. Temptation, and, Infallible. I kid you not.

Ikidyou Knott would be a great name for the Knott family...:)

Edited by Tortuga

We had a family in my old congregation with the last name of "Walker". After years of trying, she finally got pregnant and was expecting a boy. Many of us tried to convince them to name him "Luke Sky" thus making him "Luke Sky Walker" but, alas although the husband agreed, the wife prevailed and named him Levi.  We were sorely disappointed. :(

I used to work with a man named Jehovah - what made it even worse was that his last name was Godbolt. We worked in a grocery store and the manager of the store used to get a kick out of calling that man to the front of the store by using a really deep voice and saying "J-e-h-o-v-a-h" (said slow, deep and loud, not actually spelled out) 

One of my daughters like the name London and had said she would name a girl London if she ever had one. Well, she is married now and has a daughter - she named her daughter Kelly.

It'snot that she liked Kelly better than London, it was that her last name is now England.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

A brother told me he met someone in service named Jehovah. He was of Spanish origin, so maybe it's possible there. Well, Jehovah even showed the brother his driver's license to prove it.

Also, in my previous congregation is a family from the Congo (I don't recall if it was Kinshasa or Brazzaville). The name of one of the boys is Jesus. Since he's not a publisher yet, when he does a comment the conductor calls on "Jesus." It sounds funny if you're not used to it, but once you're in the congregation for a while you accept that as his name. Everyone freely calls him that without a second thought.

Speaking of Africa, they have all kinds of pretty names there that we think of as unusual in Canada, the US, or the UK. In the same congregation as above, there is a sister from Ghana named Comfort, and a sister from Nigeria named Sweetie. (Sweetie is a pretty sister, and new brothers in that congregation can never figure out how to say hi to her without getting in trouble.)

Edited by Sheep

clarification

I recall a book that I read, years back,  that had unusual names in it.

If I recall correctly,  one was a Governor of Texas,  by the name of Hogg.

He had two daughters,  named 'Imma' and 'Yura'...I will need to check,  but I'm fairly sure that's right...

(ok, I checked;  there was an Ima Hogg, no sister named Ura..)

How could someone do that to their child?

I  picked ones I liked,  Jennifer,  Michelle, Danielle and Stephen. .. 

Edited by tekmantwo

Clarificating....?

Well, I don't know of any personally but some years ago I was told of a witnesd couple who had twins...a boy and girl. You would never guess what mommy and daddy named them...

Adam and Eve. :wall:

Then in the news there was a couple whose children were removed from their care. A son was born and they named him...Adolf Hitler. :oops:

Edited by Luezette

Many, many years ago we had a Sister who moved into the Congregation with the last name of "Brothers" - so, she was Sister Brothers.

A few months later her brother also moved here so, now we had a Brother Brothers. Not long after he was here, he got married.

After that, when any of them were called on at the meetings they would call the first sister, "Sister Brothers" and her brother "Brother Brothers" and his wife "The Other Sister Brothers"

It continued that way until they moved away.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 5/8/2016 at 7:48 PM, Miss Bea said:

Our neighbor has a little boy named, "Jesus". I tried to say it like I have heard it pronounced by Hispanics, "Heysus". J pronounced as an h. Nope, my husband said. They call him, "Jesus". If necessary, he will be, "young man", to me, from here on out. I am not calling any little kid, "Jesus". 

Our Lord and Savior is not the only Jesus mentioned in the Bible. 

An ancestor of Jesus Christ, evidently in his mother’s line. (Lu 3:29) Some ancient manuscripts here read “Jose(s).”—See GENEALOGY OF JESUS CHRIST.