JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Turkish Military Overthrows the Government?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2805 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

As of 3:15 pm, California time, I am watching a live feed streamed on YouTube and I saw a helicopter gunship open fire on ground targets...

Right now there is a lot of small arms fire but it seems celebratory,  there are people walking around and a lot of car horns honking, doesn't really seem like fighting..

One news report quoted a diplomat who said "However it looks in the morning, this will have massive implications for Turkey. This has not come out of nowhere."

With the mess already in the Middle East, this destabilising coup if it is successful, will destroy the buffer between it and Europe. When I was in Turkey 3 years ago, the locals told me President Erdogan was really on the nose then, and repressive over the people. And as we've seen, people everywhere in all countries are taking a stand against their authority figures in much more definitive ways than before.

The military has a history of mounting coups to defend secular principles, but has not seized power directly since 1980.

21 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Turkey army says it seizes power; Erdogan says: "We will overcome this"

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZV2HK

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Excellent article!  Wonder if the new 'Peace Council' will prevail?

3df854b5-24b6-4006-aa36-f1d123de4f4a_400.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Too fluid!

Live Turkey coup: Government claim to have restored control as Erdogan flies back in but 17 police killed in Ankara and at least two dead in violent Istanbul protests

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks like it may be curtains for the coup. :mellow:

Turkish President Returns to Istanbul in Sign Military Coup Is Faltering

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/europe/military-attempts-coup-in-turkey-prime-minister-says.html?_r=0

Turkey’s coup: A Turkish politics expert on why it looks like a failed attempt

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/15/12204442/turkey-coup-failed

Turkey Coup: President Arrives in Istanbul After Military Group Tries to Seize Power

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/turkey-military-coup/attempt-coup-turkey-prime-minister-says-n610531

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

A lot of things making this look like an inside job. AKP members hung up printed 15 foot  posters and banners pertaining to the "coup" literally in the middle of it happening. They were organized for resistance before the coup even started. Sort of like Hitler burning down the Reichstag to pass harsher laws.

Erdogan seems like the type of guy who would foment these kind of things in order to solidify his power.

It's a show if you ask me. Just wait to see what laws will be passed after this.

When things like this happen we need to remember that we are neutral. That can include making certain types of comments on these kinds of things. Some of the things that happen will be emotive but it shouldn't change our view of things. We live in dangerous times where it can become harder to remember that, even within our own hearts we should stay neutral as mentioned in that recent Watchtower article. That article was for our protection.

Edited by Mykyl

Maybe we should add a question mark to the title of this thread   :yes:

Have you ever read the US Declaration of Independence? People don't like change. Usually, they will continue and put up with A LOT. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

Maybe we should add a question mark to the title of this thread   :yes:

Have you ever read the US Declaration of Independence? People don't like change. Usually, they will continue and put up with A LOT. 

I was just going to ask the mods to change the title to Turkish Military ATTEMPTS TO OVERTHROW the Government.^_^

6 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I was just going to ask the mods to change the title to Turkish Military ATTEMPTS TO OVERTHROW the Government.^_^

It appears it should be ATTEMPTED...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, Mykyl said:

When things like this happen we need to remember that we are neutral. That can include making certain types of comments on these kinds of things.

Hm.. I wonder if you meant me when you wrote about "certain types of comments". Because what I wrote is as easily availabe in news sources as, say, the fact that terrorists brought down the twin towers during 9/11. And yet, saying that, nobody would ever consider it giving up your neutrality.

http://www.merkur.de/politik/hat-erdogan-putsch-in-tuerkei-selbst-inszeniert-zr-6576068.html

We also have to differentiate between politically non-neutral comments and simple exchange of opinions and ideas.

Edited by ChocoBro

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

Hm.. I wonder if you meant me when you wrote about "certain types of comments". Because what I wrote is as easily availabe in news sources as, say, the fact that terrorists brought down the twin towers during 9/11. And yet, saying that, nobody would ever consider it giving up your neutrality.

http://www.merkur.de/politik/hat-erdogan-putsch-in-tuerkei-selbst-inszeniert-zr-6576068.html

We also have to differentiate between politically non-neutral comments and simple exchange of opinions and ideas.

I leave that for you to you to decide. Im not sure that what the media says really matters to be honest. I was just mentioning that we have been told again and again to be very careful. As we head closer to the end could they use statements that we have made here against us and by association others as well? Would they see our comments as being neutral or not? 

That's the question I ask myself.

One definition of neutrality is 2Absence of decided views, expression, or strong feeling. Or The state of not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartiality:during the war, Switzerland maintained its neutrality

I am not telling anyone what to do. We all make our own choices. 

Perhaps the the first definition is why I think differently on the matter. Perhaps others don't see that as the definition of neutrality when it comes to these things.

Edited by Mykyl

16 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Erdogan seems like the type of guy who would foment these kind of things in order to solidify his power.

It's a show if you ask me. Just wait to see what laws will be passed after this.

It's true, we shouldn't have a strong opinion either way in order to stay neutral. Yet, there is a pattern to this man's behaviour that warrants this comment. Characters like Trump, Putin have showed what they are capable of, and that is on show for all to form their opinion on how things will turn out - mental speculation. There are valid reasons why Turkish people feel unhappy with their president, because he has shown himself to be repressive etc. I think Ruben's comment reflects that there will be inevitable consequences due to Erdogan's way of governing, and the fallout from the coup will show this. 

34 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It's true, we shouldn't have a strong opinion either way in order to stay neutral. Yet, there is a pattern to this man's behaviour that warrants this comment. Characters like Trump, Putin have showed what they are capable of, and that is on show for all to form their opinion on how things will turn out - mental speculation. There are valid reasons why Turkish people feel unhappy with their president, because he has shown himself to be repressive etc. I think Ruben's comment reflects that there will be inevitable consequences due to Erdogan's way of governing, and the fallout from the coup will show this. 

Like I said I'm not telling anyone what to say or not say. Shutting up now.

Can't agree with you more, Mike.  We have had that recent reminder about being politically neutral because it is imperative to be so to keep on Jehovah's side of the sovereignty issue.  So it is good for us to regularly examine how we are going in this respect, and a kind reminder is what we expect from our brothers and sisters who love us.

In reading about the coup this morning, some interesting background and analysis on why the coup happened gives a bit more insight.

The attempted coup happened because Turkey is deeply divided over President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's project to transform the country and because of the contagion of violence from the war in Syria.

President Erdogan and his AK Party have become experts at winning elections, but there have always been doubts about his long-term commitment to democracy. He is a political Islamist who has rejected modern Turkey's secular heritage. Mr Erdogan has become increasingly authoritarian and is trying to turn himself into a strong executive president.

From the beginning Mr Erdogan's government has been deeply involved in the war in Syria, backing Islamist opposition to President Assad. But violence has spread across the border, helping to reignite the fight with the Kurdish PKK, and making Turkey a target for the jihadists who call themselves Islamic State.

That has caused a lot of disquiet. Turkey has faced increasing turmoil and the attempt to overthrow President Erdogan will not be the last of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36817980

We are seeing a volatile part of the world system go through its convulsions - in fulfilment of the last days.  It's perched on the precipice ready to get bowled over by the large stone of Jehovah's Kingdom.  We can see it as a reality, and we see the individual governments enmeshed in deep unretractable conflict.  We are drawing our conclusions from what we are seeing, and what these signs mean to us - that we are getting very near to the end.