JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablet help- advise on purchase

Hoping for some opinions and what to look for. We currently have Android tablets that were super affordable but aren't all that speedy. We are finding trying to use them at meeting a bit frustrating. By the time the JW app gets to a scripture they've moved onto the next thing. So... We will be purchasing new tablets in the next few months. Do we go with Windows? Android? Apple? What do we look for so it's speedy? (Saw some at Amazon that can boot as Android or Windows). Thanks for help and any opinions of the devices you use.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, womandriver said:

Hoping for some opinions and what to look for. We currently have Android tablets that were super affordable but aren't all that speedy. We are finding trying to use them at meeting a bit frustrating. By the time the JW app gets to a scripture they've moved onto the next thing. So... We will be purchasing new tablets in the next few months. Do we go with Windows? Android? Apple? What do we look for so it's speedy? (Saw some at Amazon that can boot as Android or Windows). Thanks for help and any opinions of the devices you use.

I did some experimental purchases when we first got into tablet use. My first was a cheaper 10 inch, it had all the card slots and USB slots you could ask for but it was dead slow. I never even took it to the Hall. 

The next one I got was a 7inch, which I liked, it was plenty fast, just a little bit too small,  and it died young.

We both have Samsung tablets now, her the 8 inch Pro, me the Tab 4 8inch. 

We have been happy with them.  She does all of her ebay stuff with hers, that's why she got the Pro. I  just goof off with mine, like being here and reading and Meeting prep . We both use them at meeting,  I take my Bible,  my songbook and my tablet.  I prefer looking up Scriptures and singing from a book,  but that's just me. ..

The Samsung has some pre installed bloatware that you can disable if you wish (I did), they are plenty quick.

We are going to get one more, maybe bigger, just for Service use only. That way we can load just ministry stuff on it and it won't be bogged down with a lot of other stuff. 

I use a 6.4 inch Sony Z Ultra phone. During meetings, i open three applications.

One is jw library

Another isilo

Another app called floating bible.

I use them simultaneously by using the

"recent tab"

button

on the phone.

I too found jw library slow on my phone which boasts about 2 gb ram . I have no idea about apple . Till you get your answer, hope this helps.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

I have used Apple from the get-go. Way back when a CO and his wife were using a tablet. I asked them what was going on, what were those things? They were iPad's, both given as a gift as they left their last assignment. I decided right there I was going to get one. My third iPad is in the mail. It will be here Tuesday. Pricy, but we are sort of low key, spendy-wise. So, a splurge, now and then...I came to the tablet world absolutly green. I think iPads are good for the inexperienced. Never a problem with speed. Never. Snaps right along!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

6 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

I have used Apple from the get-go. Way back when a CO and his wife were using a tablet. I asked them what was going on, what were those things? They were iPad's, both given as a gift as they left their last assignment. I decided right there I was going to get one. My third iPad is in the mail. It will be here Tuesday. Pricy, but we are sort of low key, spendy-wise. So, a splurge, now and then...I came to the tablet world absolutly green. I think iPads are good for the inexperienced. Never a problem with speed. Never. Snaps right along!

I think most of the tablets in our Congregation are Apple.  The IPad and IPhone are pretty good units,  a little pricy, as you noted, but intuitive and easier to use.  I have never owned either but I have had a couple of Friends compare theirs with my Android,  just to see what the fuss was about. 

The thing that sold me on Android was the apps available for it. IPAD and phone have to use Apple apps and while those are certainly capable apps, there are 3 or 4 times as many to choose from in an Android machine. I like options,  and don't particularly like being told what to buy. Thats why I'm not an Apple fanboy....Besides,  it's fun teasing the Applets..:D.

Julie,

It really doesn't matter what tablet others use since you will be using the one you buy. In truth, Windows, Android and Apple all work just fine ... and, you can add Kindle to the mix.

There is a Best Buy in the Peachtree Mall ( 2925 Manchester Expy ). If you go there, you can make side-by-side comparisons of the different tablets since they carry all the brands/platforms and are willing to let you try them.

The main thing is to get as much internal memory as possible. This will make the tablet run faster. If you get Apple, you cannot, at present, add additional storage. If you get the others you can add external storage (SD Card) that allows you to load much of the data and/or app there so it keeps the load on the tablet less, thus keeping it faster, longer.

The processor will also make a difference in how quick it is. one of my daughters has a Kindle that she says does the JW Library app faster then her Samsung Android tablet - she says it is probably because it is newer and has a faster processor.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I so agree on the storage issue with Apple.. I have had constant problems there. I keep deleting and deleting. I even bought a thumb nail drive I have to figure out how to use. This is a 32 gigabyte. My case and keyboard I bought, (a tad expensive, but wonderful) the hinge went south, I was going to replace it. I phoned the Apple dealer to see what generation this is, it is second generation. I knew the fourth generation was out there, and why would I spend money on this one, that memory was a problem? 

I went for broke, (literally?) a 128 gigabyte is on the way. So, if you get an Apple, the storage is something to consider. I say, figure out what you need, and go to the next gigabyte amount. The friends with Apple products can help you figure this out.

The videos we are using. I stripped this down, and striped this down. I saw no real difference. So, I snooped in my JW Library. A couple of videos that were an hour long were in my 2014  library. Deleted them, and there was a difference. 

What is funny is the thing fussed when I tried to download our releases this year. I got out my iPhone. It has them. The videos. 

I do not like the fact I have to delete videos as I watch them. Then, there are the keepers. I think morning worship is the most wonderful thing. Some of them are, "keepers". 

Then, of course what we need for our ministry. 

An adventure. Have fun!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

If you go for an iPad then I suggest the Air 2 or the new Pro. I think the Air 2 is plenty fast enough but the Pro (9.7") has a less reflective screen and goes brighter than any of the others I think.

I have found the True Tone display of the Pro to be a bit gimmicky but ymmv.

There is also the capable IPad Mini 4 if you want something a bit smaller.

Or maybe a modern Samsung device. They seem to be popular.

edit: I bought a cheap Android tablet and it is fast but stuck on Kit Kit 4.4

It won't allow me to store JWLibrary stuff on the memory card.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I have a Galaxy Tab S - the screen is a 10.4 (which I believe they no longer make - 9.7 is now the largest) In the reviews online it was a fraction of a fraction slower than the Iphone ... I have had no problem with storage ... i have three versions of the bible and I've just bought Tom a smaller version of mine and he has no problem either. I think our congregation prefers Samsung, but the cheaper ones do have speed problem. Mine cost NZ$1000 - but that was with a SD card and an additional keyboard.

Look online (youtube) at techhie's reviews ... more than one so you get that they are in sync ... go and use both an Ipad and Samsung see what you like the best and ask around in the congregation and see if they can give you some hints. 

The guy in the store commented when I told him what we were doing with Tom's one, that a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses have been in to buy one so they must have told him too. He was very impressed.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 tab (I came off a Nexus 10 tab) and I really love it.  Super fast and the expandable memory is a plus when you use the JWL alot.  Husband has ipad and iphone and is frustrated with the limited storage.  Android is much more colorful and customizable than apple - a lot more options with andriod.  My Samsung has an octocore processor which makes it very quick.  I really can't say anything bad about it.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

You may be able to update your android tablet ( it will void any warranty if any left. ) All files Must Match Your model exactly.  E.G. there are 3 different Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 inch. Lollipop  5.x is below. Marshmallow  6.x also available.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-10-1/development/rom-android-5-0-0-lollipop-lrx21m-p4wifi-t2938870

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

One reason I like Samsung devices is that I can "Wifi-Direct" large files to other Samsung tablets/phones. This came in handy recently when I downloaded the Branch-provided RC video and needed to transfer the files to my husband's tablet so we could each watch the convention on our own screen. We do not have internet or wifi at home, so initially I downloaded the RC at our local Publix grocery store because our K. Hall's signal was too weak at the time. 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I used to be an android user until my sister bought me an IPad Air 1 32Gb. Have had it for two years and I have to say my next tablet when this one decides to die which doesn't seem to be any when soon will be Apple. 

My IPad Air has been super snappy since day one. No freezing, no frustration issues. It has been completely dependable and has had no problems whatsoever. It's still going strong after 2 years of heavy use. I use it on the ministry and at meetings and it has no problems. Only has 32GB which could be a bit bigger. 64 GB or more would be recommended and completely ample for any ministry/meeting needs next time I buy one but 32GB has been good.

Seeing as I use it so heavily for meeting,ministry and surfing the internet I can see the justification of spending £410 on it. The longer this current one lasts the more i feel confident that Apple is the best for me.

Major plus point is the fact equiped is only available on Apple. I use it extensively for studying and find it very easy to use.

If I was to buy one now it would be an IPad Air 2 64GB for £410 but if my one lasts long enough then I may get a next generation one.

This is just my personal opinion and advice as the original poster requested.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

10 hours ago, MentalProject said:

I used to be an android user until my sister bought me an IPad Air 1 32Gb. Have had it for two years and I have to say my next tablet when this one decides to die which doesn't seem to be any when soon will be Apple. 

My IPad Air has been super snappy since day one. No freezing, no frustration issues. It has been completely dependable and has had no problems whatsoever. It's still going strong after 2 years of heavy use. I use it on the ministry and at meetings and it has no problems. Only has 32GB which could be a bit bigger. 64 GB or more would be recommended and completely ample for any ministry/meeting needs next time I buy one but 32GB has been good.

Seeing as I use it so heavily for meeting,ministry and surfing the internet I can see the justification of spending £410 on it. The longer this current one lasts the more i feel confident that Apple is the best for me.

Major plus point is the fact equiped is only available on Apple. I use it extensively for studying and find it very easy to use.

If I was to buy one now it would be an IPad Air 2 64GB for £410 but if my one lasts long enough then I may get a next generation one.

This is just my personal opinion and advice as the original poster requested.

"When did you buy that Apple?"  "Last week."  "Last Week! That is an old model. There have been 2 more models since then!"   From the "One Show"  BBC 'My Blackberry is not working' skit.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Julie,

It really doesn't matter what tablet others use since you will be using the one you buy. In truth, Windows, Android and Apple all work just fine ... and, you can add Kindle to the mix.

There is a Best Buy in the Peachtree Mall ( 2925 Manchester Expy ). If you go there, you can make side-by-side comparisons of the different tablets since they carry all the brands/platforms and are willing to let you try them.

The main thing is to get as much internal memory as possible. This will make the tablet run faster. If you get Apple, you cannot, at present, add additional storage. If you get the others you can add external storage (SD Card) that allows you to load much of the data and/or app there so it keeps the load on the tablet less, thus keeping it faster, longer.

The processor will also make a difference in how quick it is. one of my daughters has a Kindle that she says does the JW Library app faster then her Samsung Android tablet - she says it is probably because it is newer and has a faster processor.

Thank you I wondered about the kindle..as it is more affordable option.

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

If you decide to buy a Kindle from  Amazon.com, remember to use smile.amazon.com so a donation to the WTBS will be made 

Ab theocratic shill, very good.

I need to do this but have been less than comfortable.

I will sign up next purchase.

Thanks for the reindeer..

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

19 minutes ago, Old said:

Ab theocratic shill, very good.

I need to do this but have been less than comfortable.

I will sign up next purchase.

Thanks for the reindeer..

I looks like you need a new keyboard.

Just a friendly observation because we all caribou you...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I hate ipad, but can't bring my PC into the living room. Agh, double augh!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

38 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I didn't know that they had Caribou in California. :D

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

3 minutes ago, rocket said:

I didn't know that they had Caribou in California. :D

Need help,  Oregon, Oregon!

2 minutes ago, Old said:

Need help,  Oregon, Oregon!

Oregon and so am I....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Find out how to get into developer options, scroll down to window animation scale, turn it off. Animator duration scale, turn it off, and transition animation scale, turn it off. That will significantly speed your device up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk