JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally Took the Plunge and Rooted my Tablet!

15 minutes ago, Andrejrulz said:

Oh well... Roo-ting ended up being censored. Now everyone, most of who are not Australian, will understand that the word means something bad and they will have no idea what that is and they will end up googling what roo-ting means. They will get tons of results about technology, mobiles, tablet, android OS, Linus OS... And they will end up confused what is so bad about that. Then they will dig deeper because it won't make sense to censor a technological term, and they will end up reading some words and expressions that we are all trying to avoid.
Good job I guess?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Where were you last Saturday? :lol1:

I am self - censoring so I don't have anymore trouble because of that word.  Everyone is free to do as they please.  It stumbled or upset someone's sensibilities or conscience to see that word (even in a technology setting) so I don't want to throw it in their faces.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

On 9/24/2016 at 6:38 PM, RaymondG said:

I will spell it out for you...

In Australia, New Zealand and much of the UK, 'root' is sexual intercourse.

Shouldn't it be planting or seeding? Rooting sounds like the opposite, more like abortion.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Where were you last Saturday? 1:

Oh I was here the whole time. I just lack the time to reply :)

Didn't think it would go that far...

Why I said what I said earlier is because I have experience with that kind of stuff. Let me tell you a short story.

We had Italian missionary couple in the congregation. We used to be together a lot. We would go to their home, and make some pasta. Among other things, home made gnocchi 's. So, based on the Macedonian grammar, one single piece of the gnocchi' s would be called 'gnoccha', although it makes no sense, but hey, we were having fun. Could you believe it that it was a bad word? We kept saying it because, you know, once something is forbidden, it's interesting. So imagine what they felt hearing that over again. Then my curiosity went further and I wanted to know what it makes it so bad... And I found out. Not very proud of that. (it's not that bad, but you wouldn't use that word).

The moral of the story?

Had they not told me about the word, I would've never knew it was bad.

Now thanks to you I know other other meaning of 'roo-ting'. Thank you for making me aware of that word every time - out of the hundred times- I use it weekly...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Funny, in the US, the word "screw" is used for those terms (that r**ted is used for in those other countries) but that doesn't prevent me from using it in it's correct context as in:  "Can I put a screw in that wall?, or "I need to screw that to the wall" or "Honey, do you have a screw about an inch and a half long"?  I've never seen anyone in any of these forums have to shy away from using that word in it's right context just because it's commonly used  in the other way in the world (not among Jehovah's people).

Edited by shali

3 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Shouldn't it be planting or seeding? Rooting sounds like the opposite, more like abortion.

I guess if you "r**t" there, you better plan on settling down and getting married (because a sprout could be on the way!) LOL

1 minute ago, shali said:

Funny, in the US, the word "screw" is used for those terms (that r**ted is used for in those other countries) but that doesn't prevent me from using it in it's correct context as in:  "Can I put a screw in that wall?, or "I need to screw that to the wall" or "Honey, do you have a screw about an inch and a half long"?  I've never seen anyone in any of these forums have to shy away from using that word in it's right context just because someone used it in the other way.

NICE comparison! It would be like if you started a topic with the title "I finally took the plunge and screwed the handles on my kitchen cabinets."

GASP!!! :o Straight to Gehenna with you!

Just now, shali said:

I guess if you "r**t" there, you better plan on settling down and getting married (because a sprout could be on the way!) LOL

Ah! Like I would love to move from Ohio to North Carolina, but I've dug my roots here.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Most of us were aware of the alternate meaning of the word and just simply looked at the context of the conversation and the way the term was being used. There wasn't any need to correct anyone's usage of the word.

So lets quit screwing around and get back on topic.  :tsk:

:D

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, shali said:

So Richard, do you think you will take the "plunge" and "r**t"? (Inquiring puppies want to know!)

I'd never really thought of it, that's why I'm following this topic. I have an old phone I might experiment with.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes, old phones and tablets are the best to experiment with, I mean, what else are you going to do with it?  I have a Huawei that is about 2 years old, but instead of r**ting it, I decided to get the unlock code so I could give it to an older one in my congregation to use with whatever carrier they want.  It has an "easy user mode" that is full proof for older ones.

56 minutes ago, Musky said:

He's a root'n toot'n cowboy! :cowboy:

Oh man, I am sooo offended by this. Your use of that word* is insulting and demeaning to all of us who have worked so hard to escape that world and here you are, just throwing that word around without any consideration for us...

(I am joking with you)

(*the word I'm referring to is *toot, in the drug use culture it means using cocaine, you inhale it through a straw, or snort it, or *toot...I have been to parties where the band leader, when checking the microphone,  says  'toot, toot, toot' instead of the usual  'checking,  1,2,3,4...')

And, just to be clear,  I am just joking around,  as is my wont, I am in no way offended by  anyone's use of that word, I recognize the context it was used in...

Love all you people,  we are just one big happy family and that just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...

It's either that or I sat on something. ...ewww..:cowboy:

29 minutes ago, Musky said:

Whew, when I first started reading that post I thought "not another one" :)

Naaaaa...

He was just farting around...

4 hours ago, shali said:

Funny, in the US, the word "screw" is used for those terms (that r**ted is used for in those other countries) but that doesn't prevent me from using it in it's correct context as in:  "Can I put a screw in that wall?, or "I need to screw that to the wall" or "Honey, do you have a screw about an inch and a half long"?  I've never seen anyone in any of these forums have to shy away from using that word in it's right context just because it's commonly used  in the other way in the world (not among Jehovah's people).

:loopy:

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)