JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally Took the Plunge and Rooted my Tablet!

Ok. As someone pointed out earlier we can't avoid every slang expression in every country. Here in the US i'm sure it will still be called 'rooting'.

List of Aussie slang to read up on:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Aussie..Aussie..Aussie!

Can I have your attention mates?

If anyone from 'down under' is offended by any information in this topic, please read this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

BTW Mates, don't miss this part.

Australia
In 2010, Electronic Frontiers Australia said that it is unclear whether rooting is legal in Australia, and that anti-circumvention laws may apply.[28] These laws were strengthened by the Copyright Amendment Act 2006.

Apparently Australians understand the alternate meaning of the word...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

Ok. As someone pointed out earlier we can't avoid every slang expression in every country. Here in the US i'm sure it will still be called 'rooting'.

Yup. Same here and also in every country of the world, including Australia, where Linux or UNIX based operating systems are used. Just checked how to enable the root user on my Mac. Every  office including throughout Australia that has an IT department will use the term with no issue.

5 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

I will spell it out for you...

In Australia, New Zealand and much of the UK, 'root' is sexual intercourse. 'Root', 'rooted' and 'rooting' are absolutely interchangeable with a four letter word beginning with 'f' and its derivatives.

Any Australian reading this heading would have wondered what place it has on a JW website.

I understand. But here in the US, when referring to any electronic device software being altered or modified from the original manufacturer's intention, it's called root, rooted, rooting or any other of its derivatives. 

I'm sorry if you have been offended by our words or this thread. It's totally unintentional. 

As pointed out several times, this is an English (US) forum, while all are welcome, that is the format used here. I really doubt that many would have their minds in the gutter.

In US slang, 'rooting' means 'cheer', but in a thread about computer devices, I'm sure that's not what is meant. I'd go with the tech meaning.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

I will spell it out for you...

In Australia, New Zealand and much of the UK, 'root' is sexual intercourse. 'Root', 'rooted' and 'rooting' are absolutely interchangeable with a four letter word beginning with 'f' and its derivatives.

Any Australian reading this heading would have wondered what place it has on a JW website.

I am on several forums. One for trucks, another for tractors, yet another for BBQ - I am also on one for COMPUTERS

On the computer forum there are people from all over the world - even Australia and New Zealand, of yes, even the UK - and when discussing getting rid of the restricted access on an Android Tablet - even those from those areas use the term "root" when referring to gaining access to the OS on the Android system.

Therefore, not ALL Australians reading the heading would think lewd thoughts ... the fact that she  completed the heading to specify "tablet" most would know what the word "root" was referring to in this instance

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

"Rooting" is the only technical term for getting root access to a mobile device. It's used worldwide in that context and no one should be offended by it. There is no other term to refer to it.

As Christians we try to use proper language, but we can't spend the day avoiding legitimate words because someone uses them with a perverted meaning. So please let's get over this meaningless debate and continue the discussion about getting root access to your Android devices.

PS. This Australian is on holidays in Cairns. I think though it's a non-issue. Of course no one here is going to think of the lewd conatation. It's obvious that we are talking about technology here. I didn't understand what rooted meant, but i knew it had to do with some sort of reset.

Back to my holiday. You all carry on, mates! Anavagoodweekend!

43 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I have an old android tablet and I might just give it a try. See if it speeds it up. Ahem. :lol:Off to do some research.

I didn't make my decision lightly. I read up on r**ting my particular brand of tablet for months first and watched YouTube video's at nausium.  I took all the best advice from everything I watched and read and wrote it down and then walked away again for another couple months. One day, I felt it was a good time. R**ting will enable you to take off alot of bloatware and they even have apps that can enable you to overclock or underclock your device.  Don't know how much all of that can speed up a tablet but I think it's fun to have alot more options open to you.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

4 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

So what is bloatware?

bloat·ware
ˈblōtˌwer/
noun
COMPUTINGinformal
  1. software whose usefulness is reduced because of the excessive disk space and memory it requires.
    "a nasty piece of cross-platform bloatware that's in serious need of a total overhaul"
    • unwanted software included on a new computer or mobile device by the manufacturer.
      "users must initially contend with the usual bevy of bloatware (unnecessary toolbars, games of questionable value)"

6 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

So what is bloatware?

bloat·ware
ˈblōtˌwer/
noun
COMPUTINGinformal
  1. software whose usefulness is reduced because of the excessive disk space and memory it requires.
    "a nasty piece of cross-platform bloatware that's in serious need of a total overhaul"
    • unwanted software included on a new computer or mobile device by the manufacturer.
      "users must initially contend with the usual bevy of bloatware (unnecessary toolbars, games of questionable value)"
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yup. 2 seconds on Google avoided an entire conversation. ..

You know, google killed so much pub talk. If google had been available back in the day, there would have been no Guinness Book of World Records. Not even weather chat was left alone. Because there's an app for that.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, shali said:

I didn't make my decision lightly. I read up on r**ting my particular brand of tablet for months first and watched YouTube video's at nausium.  I took all the best advice from everything I watched and read and wrote it down and then walked away again for another couple months. One day, I felt it was a good time. R**ting will enable you to take off alot of bloatware and they even have apps that can enable you to overclock or underclock your device.  Don't know how much all of that can speed up a tablet but I think it's fun to have alot more options open to you.

Reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's Unnecessary Censorship. :lol1:

I rooted my Barns and Noble Nook HD (and then the HD+) tablets when I was using them.  I thought that was totally worth it.  Despite all the warnings and dangers, I thought it was relatively easy to do.  It definitely freed those tablets up to make them function like normal tablets instead of being limited to only the Barns and Noble approved apps (in other words, apps that made a deal with Barns and Noble in exchange to being allowed to be used on their tablets).

That is a really good idea Shawn!  I would never purchase one of those tablets because of that restriction.  Bet you can find some for a cheap price now!  Were you able to install JWL on it afterwards?  Would be cool to find one at a garage sale or something pretty cheap - r**t it and then give it to an older one to use.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh well... Roo-ting ended up being censored. Now everyone, most of who are not Australian, will understand that the word means something bad and they will have no idea what that is and they will end up googling what roo-ting means. They will get tons of results about technology, mobiles, tablet, android OS, Linus OS... And they will end up confused what is so bad about that. Then they will dig deeper because it won't make sense to censor a technological term, and they will end up reading some words and expressions that we are all trying to avoid.
Good job I guess?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Andrejrulz said:

Oh well... Roo-ting ended up being censored. Now everyone, most of who are not Australian, will understand that the word means something bad and they will have no idea what that is and they will end up googling what roo-ting means. They will get tons of results about technology, mobiles, tablet, android OS, Linus OS... And they will end up confused what is so bad about that. Then they will dig deeper because it won't make sense to censor a technological term, and they will end up reading some words and expressions that we are all trying to avoid.
Good job I guess?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, but we've moved on...