JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally Took the Plunge and Rooted my Tablet!

Well, I finally took the plunge and rooted my Nexus 10 yesterday.  Talk about nerve wrecking!  Got caught in a bootloop but was able to fix that and it's totally rooted.  Just got to figure out what I want to do with it now.  Think I'll wait till this winter on a day when we are snowed in to flash a ROM to it.  I'm just glad I didn't end up bricking it.  May strip it down to bare essentials, put on a few useful app's that are easy to use and give it to an older one in my congregation.  Any suggestions on app's?  Has anyone used Titanium Backup on their rooted tablet?  Any good app's out there for rooted devices? 

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

2 hours ago, shali said:

Well, I finally took the plunge and rooted my Nexus 10 yesterday.  Talk about nerve wrecking!  Got caught in a bootloop but was able to fix that and it's totally rooted.  Just got to figure out what I want to do with it now.  Think I'll wait till this winter on a day when we are snowed in to flash a ROM to it.  I'm just glad I didn't end up bricking it.  May strip it down to bare essentials, put on a few useful app's that are easy to use and give it to an older one in my congregation.  Any suggestions on app's?  Has anyone used Titanium Backup on their rooted tablet?  Any good app's out there for rooted devices? 

I guess I should download a translation app to go from Techspeek to Engrish..

I recognize some of those words ---

8 hours ago, shali said:

Good job. There are several good ROMs. I like the stripped down versions the best.

Titanium Backup is an excellent tool and easy to use. As for apps, what made you root in the first place? Was there an app you wanted to run that wouldn't otherwise? What do you want to use the tablet for - just the jwlibrary? 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I wasn't using the tablet anymore because the operating system was no longer getting updates. So I figured I'd root it to see if I could basically and take the bloatware off the system  (since a Nexus 10 has no SD card slot) and get back as much of the internal storage as possible.  The major reason was for my own curiosity and it will give me something to tweak for a while I figure. (When I work on tech stuff, I forget to eat - I want to lose a couple pounds! haha!)

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I guess I should download a translation app to go from Techspeek to Engrish..

I recognize some of those words ---

Ok, I'm going to have to ask.... what did you do with this poor unfortunate piece of technology?  Because it sounds quite like something that needed doing, but as a last resort.  So what is "root"?

13 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Ok, I'm going to have to ask.... what did you do with this poor unfortunate piece of technology?  Because it sounds quite like something that needed doing, but as a last resort.  So what is "root"?

I am probably wrong but the way I understand  'rooting' is that , once you've rooted your device,  you are no longer bound by your providers boundaries,  that you can now go ahead and install any apps or software that you wish, you are not confined by proprietary,  pre installed programs. ..

I  didn't look it up, that's just what I recall from reading about it years ago...

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So what is "root"?

When you use your tablet, you are actually using a restricted profile. For example, you cannot uninstall some apps that were installed by the manufacturer, cannot see or delete system files, and so on. The philosophy behind that is not allowing the user to meddle with anything that could mess the tablet up.

Rooting your device is using the admin profile instead, so you can do whatever you want with it. You can modify or delete system files, uninstall any apps, even installing a different version of Android, whatever. It's great if you know what you are doing, but very dangerous (for the tablet) if you don't.

Edited by carlos

Yes, you can "brick" the tablet if something goes wrong - a "hard" brick would render it useless (like a paperweight, or brick - that is all it would be good for).  But these days, there are ways around getting the factory operating system back onto a bricked tablet for the most part.  The problem is, even if you delete certain system files you don't need - it doesn't help you with space any because a certain amount of your partition is set aside for system files, whether they are on there or not.

1 hour ago, RaymondG said:

Some words you are using could well be read as having totally different meanings to some readers...

Resorting to English might be a good idea.

Oh, it is English, it's just above your pay grade! :)

5 hours ago, shali said:

Oh, it is English, it's just above your pay grade! :)

I guess when you're the great high mukity muck you can say that, eh?

Sorry, looks like you've been promoted. ..the 

Grand Platinum something something. ..

Edited by tekmantwo

Jus playin, as per the usual ---

Originally posted by Shali

Oh, it is English, it's just above your pay grade!

Hardly so, Shali...

For instance, in the first line of your opening post you wrote it was 'nerve wrecking'. The correct expression is 'nerve wracking'.

And you have used jargon to describe what you have done. The words are not related to the English meaning in the cases of:

1. 'rooted' or 'rooting'

2. 'bricked'

3. 'bloatware'

Well, I guess that last one doesn't have a meaning in English at all.

'Bricks' are building blocks, there is no verb based on the word in proper use.

'Rooted' means something along the lines of 'based on' or 'coming from', or 'firmly planted'. But in the vernacular in some countries it's a word you wouldn't use at all. That was the reason for my initial comment, but seeing as you chose to try and make a mockery of me and ignore what I was trying to tell you I've gone a little further to try and educate you.

To root your device is the actual term to use. It is not slang. There are many words in use that in some areas are offensive but that does not mean they are offensive in themselves. (Yes I know what it can be used for where you come from. My brother lives over there.)

"root is the user name or account that by default has access to all commands and files on a Linux or other Unix-like operating system. It is also referred to as the root account, root user and the superuser."

Android is based on Linux.

So to root the device is the correct english term.

You know there is likely a daemon running on your computer? Or a while back I used to own a voodoo graphics card for gaming. Its the nature of this world. Nimrods fly high in the sky. Phantoms used to be used in battle.

Sometimes its not about being offensive to use the correct term. Its just a difference in language.

Oh by the way here is the tamest example of a word that I could find that mean totally different things. The word speed in Swedish is fart.:huh: So be careful how you express yourself in front of those who speak other languages. You may end up using the most offensive words possible. Or we can just understand that's the way things are at the moment. Not ideal. We need one language and we need it soon. :D

Mike, there are a number of good English words which have been given new meanings in the computer age.

But that being the case doesn't mean that people understand what they mean in this usage. 'Client', for instance, is unsuitably misused in the computer world.

I don't believe it's wrong to point out these things, and especially I don't believe it's wrong to make the point I did initially.

What is wrong is becoming the butt of a joke for trying to help out.

18 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

Mike, there are a number of good English words which have been given new meanings in the computer age.

But that being the case doesn't mean that people understand what they mean in this usage. 'Client', for instance, is unsuitably misused in the computer world.

I don't believe it's wrong to point out these things, and especially I don't believe it's wrong to make the point I did initially.

What is wrong is becoming the butt of a joke for trying to help out.

Your are right to point it out.  Of course you are. The word in your part of the world as slang is pretty disgusting. I didn't mean to belittle what you were saying. As noted there are many good words wrongly twisted in this world. I remember my old English teacher many years ago, who got so angry that saying he had a gay time no longer had the same meaning as it did when he was a boy. What can you do?

It's probably a good idea to consider your audience...

And then to not make jokes of their serious responses.

While there's a fair chance that Shali's knowledge of computers is beyond mine, there's no doubt at all that her appreciation of English words, grammar and usage are in another category altogether.

As I pointed out in the thread I started a long time ago, the Society goes to great efforts to use proper English, grammar and spelling because it enhances the message in publications. There is also a leaning towards encouraging publishers to try to follow suit. In fact, this was brought out in a recent Watchtower study article.

1 hour ago, RaymondG said:

It's probably a good idea to consider your audience...

Perhaps you should have done that and you might have realized that Shali might not have realized that you were talking about Australian slang. 

She was using some widely accepted 'tech' terminology and your post seemed to infer that you didn't understand the 'tech' terms and you were asking her to dumb it down to plain English for you. She joking said it was above your pay grade.

The biggest problem that I see here was that you were very quick to take offense at a situation that you created, then you became rude and condescending.

The loving thing to do would have been to tell her that some of those terms may be offense to some people, however as several people have pointed out, they are widely accepted terms. Perhaps the first thing you should have done was just let it go or send her a PM. I would send you a PM but you'v already embarrassed our sister in front of all of us. Shame on you.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

And your lecture for Shali is?

I was not condescending, I did not set about to make a mockery of her. That was her move.

As I have already stated, 'widely accepted tech terminology' is not acceptable to those who aren't familiar with it, especially when it gives new meanings to words they well know mean other things.

But don't worry, I won't stop trying to help Shali and others. I did start that other thread, didn't I?

7 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

And your lecture for Shali is?

I was not condescending, I did not set about to make a mockery of her. That was her move.

As I have already stated, 'widely accepted tech terminology' is not acceptable to those who aren't familiar with it, especially when it gives new meanings to words they well know mean other things.

But don't worry, I won't stop trying to help Shali and others. I did start that other thread, didn't I?

In my opinion I don't think she was mocking you at all. I think she misunderstood what you were trying to say and she jokingly replied based on what she (and I) thought you were saying.

Anyway, I'm not interested in going off topic here, I just wanted to point out that I thought your responses were rude. I hope you accept my comments with the same spirit that you hope others use to accept your comments.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I've too often been bullied on this forum to accept this sort of thing.

Shali used enlarged letters in her post, she didn't post it 'jokingly', she posted to make a joke of me.' I wasn't the only one to think it out of place. But once I responded you've jumped on me from a great height and keep persisting with trying to say it was me who was wrong. You should have let my excellent advice to her stand, and if there was any defence to be made for what she did, why not let her make it?

And remember, this forum is open to be read by everybody.

19 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

I've too often been bullied on this forum to accept this sort of thing.

Shali used enlarged letters in her post, she didn't post it 'jokingly', she posted to make a joke of me.' I wasn't the only one to think it out of place. But once I responded you've jumped on me from a great height and keep persisting with trying to say it was me who was wrong. You should have let my excellent advice to her stand, and if there was any defence to be made for what she did, why not let her make it?

And remember, this forum is open to be read by everybody.

:wave:

On 9/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, shali said:

OK - I have read and re-read the OP - I fail to see any improper expressions. I understand exactly what she is saying because it is all written using the correct expressions for computers/tablets/phones/routers/switches/modems - and, after all, she is/was talking about her tablet.

Just as the word "Google" is a website, a company, a search engine - it is also an "action" - just like fish is a noun and a verb.

In computer talk, common around the world community of computer people, root, boot, brick are all nouns and verbs.

As far as her nerves go, they may have been "wrecked" - though her post seems to have "wracked" yours.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Text is always tricky. Most people are not eloquent writers, to some English is not even first language. And you don't hear the voice or see the face. My suggestion is to just chill and bear with people. Assume they mean well.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”