JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally Took the Plunge and Rooted my Tablet!

4 minutes ago, shali said:

Is it just me or does this thread deserve some kind of recognition or award for being the most controversial and funny at the same time?!!!!  I deserve a new member title for this (haha!) Any suggestions (that don't include the word r**ted?) LOL

I'm afraid that honor belongs to the infamous beard thread! 

2 minutes ago, shali said:

Basically it's a matter of putting a few drivers on your computer, finding a good "r**t" app to install (also on your computer) and then hooking your tablet to your computer through a USB cable.  Once the drivers are installed, you open the r**t app and then let it do all the work.  Then you wait, and wait, and wait and hope and hope and hope . .. .that the tablet restarts and tells you all is well that and that is is now "r**ted" and that is the exact word on the tablet is uses in the boatloader mode!!!

Thanks. What was the benefit for you?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks. What was the benefit for you?

I can remove any apps I want now - app's that the tablet wouldn't let you remove when it wasn't r**ted.  Plus I can add app's that only r**ted tablets will allow and I can flash operating systems that have been customized.  In other words, I don't have to take other people's "cr*p"!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I'm not short, but I have a short attention span.  So I guess that would apply to both.  I just can't believe it, I thought I was starting a legitamate thread that would get great, helpful responses and it went so WRONG, so FAST!  This kind of thing only happens to me. Murphy's Law at it's best.

23 minutes ago, Musky said:

I'm afraid that honor belongs to the infamous beard thread! 

Yeah, unless we categorized it...

"Best Thread Under Two Thousand Posts"

AND THE WINNER IS----

Oh, IHOP (International House of Pancakes) has a meal that is called 

Rooty Tooty fresh And Fruity

It's pancakes with strawberries,  I think. ..

2 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Yeah, unless we categorized it...

"Best Thread Under Two Thousand Posts"

AND THE WINNER IS----

Oh, IHOP (International House of Pancakes) has a meal that is called 

Rooty Tooty fresh And Fruity

It's pancakes with strawberries,  I think. ..

LOL!!!!  Bet they don't call it that in Austraila!!!!  Too funny.  I vote this is the funniest thread under 200 posts! Whose with me?!!!  so if we take that name and apply to what we know NOW after this thread that means these pancakes are something you eat after you commit fornication, take cocaine and decide to go gay. LOL!!!!

Edited by shali

7 minutes ago, shali said:

LOL!!!!  Bet they don't call it that in Austraila!!!!  Too funny.  I vote this is the funniest thread under 200 posts! Whose with me?!!!  so if we take that name and apply to what we know NOW after this thread that means these pancakes are something you eat after you commit fornication, take cocaine and decide to go gay. LOL!!!!

Wow...I'm never eating at IHOP again...:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

(I went from here straight to the first post of the JWreader app thread and nearly fell off my perch! I thought I was safe there.) :lol:

I understand my Nexus 7, 2013, will not be getting Nougat. Is it possible to get it by rooting? Are there security concerns about being stuck on an 'outdated' OS? It's running 6.0.1 and the last security update was 5th August. I think they used to come monthly.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

(I went from here straight to the first post of the JWreader app thread and nearly fell off my perch! I thought I was safe there.) 

I understand my Nexus 7, 2013, will not be getting Nougat. Is it possible to get it by rooting? Are there security concerns about being stuck on an 'outdated' OS? It's running 6.0.1 and the last security update was 5th August. I think they used to come monthly.

Yes, you can get nougat after rooting.
I have the same model and I'm waiting some time to pass and then I'll install nougat. I'll wait until the dust settles and the rom works without bugs.
Head over to XDA-Developers Forum for more info

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Serious question here, can you root an iOS device?. Or is it only recommended for experienced ones, not a curious novice such as myself?

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

2 minutes ago, MzT said:

Serious question here, can you root an iOS device?. Or is it only recommended for experienced ones, not a curious novice such as myself?

The 'root' that we are talking here is not applicable to iOS. iOs devices such as iPhone or iPad can be 'jailbreak'ed.  I don't have much experience with iOS ( I HATE IT ), but i think the functionality gain is not as close as the one from rooting an android device. If you're not completely sure what you're doing, i would recommend not trying it :)

Just now, Andrejrulz said:

The 'root' that we are talking here is not applicable to iOS. iOs devices such as iPhone or iPad can be 'jailbreak'ed.  I don't have much experience with iOS ( I HATE IT ), but i think the functionality gain is not as close as the one from rooting an android device. If you're not completely sure what you're doing, i would recommend not trying it :)

Unfortunately, I figured that rooting was limited to Androids.  I know more about computers than I do about mobile devices.  But since I'm about to start a collection of old tablets, I thought I would ask if it's difficult to learn.  

My dad keeps touting how he had the full WT library on his Windows 10 device over my lowly (and limited) iOS tablet.  It would be nice to learn how to strip it down enough to play with.

So if I jailbreak it, what exactly can I do to increase the functionality?

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

Hopefully Andrej will be back in to answer your question because I know very little about Apple products (my husband has an iphone and ipad but won't even let me touch them!). I want to let Andrej know  to inform me when he finds a Nougat ROM he is willing to flash on his Nexus -because that is what I want to do too!

My dad keeps touting how he had the full WT library on his Windows 10 device over my lowly (and limited) iOS tablet.  It would be nice to learn how to strip it down enough to play with.

I am sorry to tell you this, but that just ain't happening on iOS. Best you can do is buy an android tablet and then you can show him how lowly and limited is Windows :)

I want to let Andrej know  to inform me when he finds a Nougat ROM he is willing to flash on his Nexus -because that is what I want to do too!

You have nexus 7 2013 wifi as well?

There is already a stable nougat rom for this model but I don't think I'll be flashing it in near future. I will make the jump when everything I use gets compatible with nougat.

Right now I have rooted tablet with custom kernel, elementalX (With this I can overclock my processor and gpu frequency which I find necessary with all the apps demanding more computing power to run smoothly) , and Xposed Framework.

Last I checked, I think the root and kernel were available but not Xposed. That's gonna take a while.

If you want info on the nougat rom, let me know.

Actually, because this was my first "r**t", I used CF Autoroot, which is just a basic r**t I believe.  I probably don't have the capabilities you do.  No, I don't have a Nexus 7 - I have a Nexus 10, but would love to put Nougat on it, if it can handle it.  I don't have the expertise you do and beyond r**ting my tablet at this point, everything is new to me. 

Actually, because this was my first "r**t", I used CF Autoroot, which is just a basic r**t I believe.  I probably don't have the capabilities you do.  No, I don't have a Nexus 7 - I have a Nexus 10, but would love to put Nougat on it, if it can handle it.  I don't have the expertise you do and beyond r**ting my tablet at this point, everything is new to me. 

For starters, install "nexus root toolkit" on your computer. I think you should find it with a Google search. It's a program specifically made for playing around with nexus devices. (we're that privileged). It has the ability to root - unroot, backup - restore, unlock - lock bootloader, install new roms, install stock rom etc. Everything works on click. The program is very descriptive and they've made the impossible to be done with just a click of a mouse.

17 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

For starters, install "nexus root toolkit" on your computer. I think you should find it with a Google search. It's a program specifically made for playing around with nexus devices. (we're that privileged). It has the ability to root - unroot, backup - restore, unlock - lock bootloader, install new roms, install stock rom etc. Everything works on click. The program is very descriptive and they've made the impossible to be done with just a click of a mouse.

Wow, thanks for the tip!  So I install it on my computer and then hook my tablet to the computer and run the program from my computer? No need to install it on my tablet? Just want to make sure.