JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally Took the Plunge and Rooted my Tablet!

By the way, I have no idea why my initial joking post was in bigger letters, for some reason it just posted like that ( I was using my tablet instead of my computer)  Interesting how someone could take something like that and attribute bad motives to it.

Richard, thank you for your initial post to this matter - you were exactly right. I didn't realize he was referring to Austrailian slang. This website originates in the United States and so English is the only language I concern myself with. If I had to consider what our words in other countries mean, I'd never be able to say anything! 

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Ray...do you honestly think that Brigette actually came on hear to tear us down, or use street slang to insult us...honestly.

I am not one bit technical, yet even young ones on here, or even I recognize or is it recognise depending on where you live, that verbage used in this sense is subjective.

We were counseled in a WT article awhile back about being oversensitive. Some on here completely lack a sense of humor and overthink others statements, and at times go off on a tangent. 

Can you show a little humility...and maybe apologize to your sister... who meant you or any of us no harm ?

3 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

Shali is an English speaker as her first language, so that doesn't come  into it.

Shali is in the US so according to Sarah Palin she speaks "American" :deadhorse:. I live in Canada so I speak "Canadjan, eh":innocent:.

Every English region has their own meaning and in the US, spelling of certain words. 

Oh, don't forget the Newfies on east coast of Canada. Some are almost impossible to understand. :superman:

We have a Nigerian sister in our congregation and it is hard to understand some of her usage of terms.:shrugs:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

6 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Shali is in the US so according to Sarah Palin she speaks "American" :deadhorse:. I live in Canada so I speak "Canadjan, eh":innocent:.

Every English region has their own meaning and in the US, spelling of certain words. 

Oh, don't forget the Newfies on east coast of Canada. Some are almost impossible to understand. :superman:

We have a Nigerian sister in our congregation and it is hard to understand some of her usage of terms.:shrugs:

Exactly. Are we to rebuke them simply because they speak differently than we do? Raymond did. 

Edited by leoperales

I never rebuked anybody until I came under attack.

Once again, it is Shali who should be correcting herself, but she has remained away from the thread ever since I took offence, leaving it to others to make a 'dog's breakfast' of the whole thing.

Leonardo, I always make allowance for people who are using English as a second language.

Exactly. Are we to rebuke them simply because they speak differently than we do? Raymond did. 

Shali is an English speaker as her first language, so that doesn't come  into it.

Like I said, it's up to her to make amends for what she did, not others to excuse her.

Shali did nothing that she needs to "make amends" for. As usual Ray, you start these disputes and then claim you are being picked on when nobody else agrees with you.

2 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

I never rebuked anybody until I came under attack.

Once again, it is Shali who should be correcting herself, but she has remained away from the thread ever since I took offence, leaving it to others to make a 'dog's breakfast' of the whole thing.

Leonardo, I always make allowance for people who are using English as a second language.

No, she does not have to correct herself. She was speaking appropriately according to context.

Do not be quick to take offense, for the taking of offense lodges in the bosom of fools.  Ec 7:9

While I do feel that he jumped on Brigette, she  has explained herself at the top of this page that the large lettering was unintentional, ( I have seen that same thing elsewhere on this forum just tonight) and that she did not equate where he was from with the legitimate term she used. But please, let's not jump on him either.

It's easy in text to mix up what was meant. She has said what the problem was and it is up to Ray to either accept or reject her explanation. It's not for us to berate him.

I have also at times jumped up and down over wording here and wrongly assumed the worst. I'm sure others have as well. Perhaps some are not as outspoken though. Unfortunately I can be...

Brigette's second post eluded me, it came as I was making a post and I missed it altogether. Also Precision's...

Chuck, if you had the history I've had on this forum you might be a bit touchy too.

My original post was merely to point out that use of these words might not be appropriate on a PUBLIC forum. Can't we just leave it at that?

Do we have to make it so the whole thread is inappropriate on a PUBLIC forum?

Brigette was talking about tablets and operating systems and she used the proper jargon. All the technical terms she used were correct, and it doesn't matter what those words mean in other contexts, because those are not her context. Obviously her comment was completely unintelligible to anyone who is not into the jargon, but that only means that post is addressed to a limited audience. IMO there is nothing in her post that deserves a reprimand, much less publicly.

This unpleasant situation repeats itself every time a member tries to correct someone else's grammar publicly. It's better not to do that. Also, we have different senses of humor and what one says as a funny innocent joke someone else may find extremely offensive. None of the posters here had any ill intentions so it's better to take everything with some humor and shelve this misunderstanding that should have never happened.

Let's all try to keep peace and get along with all our friends.

Edited by carlos

Just now, Mykyl said:

I have an old android tablet and I might just give it a try. See if it speeds it up. Ahem. :lol:Off to do some research in ummm whatever it's called.:)

What is it called where you live?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I still don't have the guts to root my phone or tablet. I'd probably brick it on the first try...

Phone bricks are awesome. This wakes the hipster interior designer in me. Mm... phone brick walls...22e112768833dfe0bf91babd46261c99.jpg

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Thesauron said:

Phone bricks are awesome. This wakes the hipster interior designer in me. Mm... phone brick walls...

Pink Floyd: My phone would be another brick in the wall...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Carlos, I didn't attempt to correct her grammar, I merely pointed out the need to be careful about what words you use on a PUBLIC forum.

Musky, she didn't let the matter drop at all, she didn't even want to know what I posted about, but she counted on the multitudes coming back here and justifying what she wrote and condemning me.

That's how it works here.

26 minutes ago, RaymondG said:

My original post was merely to point out that use of these words might not be appropriate on a PUBLIC forum. Can't we just leave it at that?

I am still confused :confused:

Exactly What Words were not appropriate for a forum - Public or Private?

I have read the OP several times .... I just do not see any words that are misused, risque, weird, inappropriate, rude or otherwise not something that should be said in a Public Forum 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just now, Mykyl said:

Same as its called the world over. Weirdly I'm uncomfortable using the term now. And that's not a joke.:shrugs:

Ok. As someone pointed out earlier we can't avoid every slang expression in every country. Here in the US i'm sure it will still be called 'rooting'.

I will spell it out for you...

In Australia, New Zealand and much of the UK, 'root' is sexual intercourse. 'Root', 'rooted' and 'rooting' are absolutely interchangeable with a four letter word beginning with 'f' and its derivatives.

Any Australian reading this heading would have wondered what place it has on a JW website.