JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

23 minutes ago, Theocat0 said:

But using Win7 still (don't want to go to 10 but know I must...) the WTlib will not open.  The error is "Wtlib has experienced a problem and cannot continue". 

Hi Kenneth, welcome to JWTalk! I have Watchtower Library running on a Windows 7 machine without trouble. Besides, the official site says it requires Windows 7, so it's not an incompatibility problem.

Please first make sure that you haven't run out of space in the disk where you have WTLib installed. This is the most common reason for that error. Maybe you need to delete some files or upgrade with a bigger disk or move WTLib to a different partition.

If this is not the problem, then it's likely that some files have been corrupted. Simply download WTLib from here and install it again.

34 minutes ago, Theocat0 said:

I am new to this site, so forgive me that I did not read this whole thread.  But using Win7 still (don't want to go to 10 but know I must...) the WTlib will not open.  The error is "Wtlib has experienced a problem and cannot continue".  It just happened a couple of days ago and have been hoping that it would eventually open.  Is it perhaps that it no longer is supporting Win7?  Also then the next question/problem.  When Win10 was available for free downloaded I had installed it but decided I didn't want to deal with it then so I rolled it back to Win7.   So when I roll it forward  (from Win7 to Win10...what happens to the unopening WTlib?  Hopefully this make sense!  I thing WtLib is 2017 but am unsure and don't know how to check since I can't open.  Any help would be appreciated.

Please switch to win 10. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft,
The Watchtower Library should run on both operating systems.

45 minutes ago, Theocat0 said:

I am new to this site, so forgive me that I did not read this whole thread.  But using Win7 still (don't want to go to 10 but know I must...) the WTlib will not open.  The error is "Wtlib has experienced a problem and cannot continue".  It just happened a couple of days ago and have been hoping that it would eventually open.  Is it perhaps that it no longer is supporting Win7?  Also then the next question/problem.  When Win10 was available for free downloaded I had installed it but decided I didn't want to deal with it then so I rolled it back to Win7.   So when I roll it forward  (from Win7 to Win10...what happens to the unopening WTlib?  Hopefully this make sense!  I thing WtLib is 2017 but am unsure and don't know how to check since I can't open.  Any help would be appreciated.

Trying installing the 2018 DVD ROM. No need to upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

Edited by Luigi62

13 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

Trying installing the 2018 DVD ROM. No need to upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

If he was installing the update...then he already started with the 2018 DVD model.  If he installs the 2018 disc, he will still have to update 2-3 times including the latest update that failed.   It doesn't hurt anything to start over, but sometimes Windows doesn't totally erase everything during an update and the old lingering files can prevent the newest update from completing.

40 minutes ago, The German said:

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft

Windows 7 is still supported, for just a few days more... I am calculating there should be one more security update before then.

Yes, I still use Windows 7 (even though I have Windows 10 on another laptop), and will continue to do so until it breaks into little pieces. I much prefer it.

26 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Windows 7 is still supported, for just a few days more... I am calculating there should be one more security update before then.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won’t end until January 14, 2020 .

Time to change.

Free update to win 10 ist still possible.

I did it last week for thr PC of a sister.

But it takes time.

2 hours ago, Theocat0 said:

I thing WtLib is 2017 but am unsure and don't know how to check since I can't open.

If you want to find out the last time you successfully updated WtLib (without opening it), do this...

• Find out where you installed WtLib on your hard drive. By default, it would be something like C:\Program Files\Watchtower Library, but you may have chosen something different when you installed it.
  • Under that you will find a folder called E. Look for a file named update (no extension). Right-click on it, and select Properties. Near the bottom of the box you will find Modified, and Accessed. Either of those will contain the date of your last update.

Update.JPG.55347918a2606cd974ac188916e31375.JPG

6 hours ago, jwhess said:

If he was installing the update...then he already started with the 2018 DVD model.  If he installs the 2018 disc, he will still have to update 2-3 times including the latest update that failed.   It doesn't hurt anything to start over, but sometimes Windows doesn't totally erase everything during an update and the old lingering files can prevent the newest update from completing.

Bro Ken will only need to update it once after installing 2018 DVD Rom, it may just take longer and be a bigger update. 

Or another thing that could work uninstall WTL and reinstall it. 

• 1 month later...

It is interesting to look at the update number.  The listed number is "update 2000".  I realize that the system uses the first two digits to represent the year (2020) and the second number is the order of the updates that year (first update of the year = 01 and so on).  So why is this update #00?

5 hours ago, The German said:

German got the update with the study Bible this week.

Update number : 2002

It used to be about one update a month so the update number looked like the month's number.  Then is slowed.  But I can't figure out where "zero" comes into play.  the first one this year should be "01" I would think...who knows....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...