JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

At the Toronto Convention Br Jackson started to read a scripture after directing everyone to that text. As he started to read, he stopped and "apologized" because he was reading it from the Study Bible and, while explaining that he had both on his electronic device, started over and read the cited scripture from the 2013 edition.

So, if the GB feels having both on the device is a good thing and they make a point of reading it from the 2013 ... I am not going to quit using it :nope:

Yes, the Watchtower does not quote the Study Edition yet, either. But it’s an excellent edition to use.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Yes, it is an excellent issue to use ... they named it "Study Edition" for a reason - I would think ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

But what would be the difference?  The study bible is not another new revised translation.  It is the same text, is it not?  Or am I missing something?

It is almost the same text. Some slight changes have been made.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Then isn't best to use the very latest translation.  Otherwise why make the refinements?

I know that the 2013 NWT has been changed since it was printed.  I've compared some verses from my printed copy with the electronic.  Do they not update the 2013 NWT anymore?

Edited by Jonathan77

Yes, in the text he was reading there were some differences in the wording between the 2013 and the SB - that is why he read it again from the 2013 - most in the audience, especially those using a paper copy, had the 2013

Edited by Qapla

The current 2013 NWT has a 2018 printing date.  So even reading from 2013 NWT from your electronic device will show up at least some differences to those reading from a printed copy.  Maybe not the scripture Bro Jackson was reading, but it will for others.  Can you recall the scripture?  It would be interesting to compare?

8 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Aside from the Study Notes, it also has more cross references and even slight text adjustments in certain places.

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, the Watchtower does not quote the Study Edition yet, either.

I have noticed some changes in the text of the 2013 revision (pdf version) over the past couple of years. So I'm wondering, as did Jonathan...

4 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

But what would be the difference?  The study bible is not another new revised translation.  It is the same text, is it not?  Or am I missing something?

Are there other refinements in the text of the nwtsty that are not in the "regular" editon?

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It is almost the same text. Some slight changes have been made.

Can you cite some examples of these changes that are not in the regular 2013 edition? (if you have some on hand)

8 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

I'm not sure what purpose there is in having the standard NWT on a device if you have the Study Bible.  The Study Bible has everything the NWT has, plus more.

I would see the situation of field service when we have a bible study who may have paper study materials (2013 bible and current study publication). It is good to have many bibles for a field service setting to share texts with those who might have a king james or other bible. For me its better to have the tools than not to have them.

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

At the Toronto Convention Br Jackson started to read a scripture after directing everyone to that text. As he started to read, he stopped and "apologized" because he was reading it from the Study Bible and, while explaining that he had both on his electronic device, started over and read the cited scripture from the 2013 edition.

So, if the GB feels having both on the device is a good thing and they make a point of reading it from the 2013 ... I am not going to quit using it :nope:

I was tied in to that talk in Cleveland from Toronto. I agree with you to have both. I personally have all the available English editions on my JW library.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

7 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

The current 2013 NWT has a 2018 printing date.  So even reading from 2013 NWT from your electronic device will show up at least some differences to those reading from a printed copy.  Maybe not the scripture Bro Jackson was reading, but it will for others.  Can you recall the scripture?  It would be interesting to compare?

I got the scripture. Psalms 107:8, 19,20 he read it from reference Bible. There was a noted difference from what he no doubt prepared from the 2013 and by mistake read his reference Bible for verses 19 and 20.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I got the scripture. Psalms 107:8, 19,20 he read it from reference Bible. There was a noted difference from what he no doubt prepared from the 2013 and by mistake read his reference Bible for verses 19 and 20.

Makes sense.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Can you cite some examples of these changes that are not in the regular 2013 edition? (if you have some on hand)

Eventually the textual changes trickle down from the nwtsty to nwt, but only the digital editions. One example is Romans 1:26 where the 2013 edition (paper) read: “That is why God gave them over to uncontrolled sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature.”

The digital editions read: “That is why God gave them over to disgraceful sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature.”

But a major difference is how the footnotes and study notes are handled. When the Watchtower refers to a note, it is usually to the more brief nwt notes. Example:

In Mt 1:1 in the nwt has a footnote to the expression Jesus Christ. It reads: Or “the Messiah; the Anointed One.”

Now, the nwtsty does not have that footnote. Instead it has two more extensive Study Notes, one for “history of Jesus Christ”, and one for “Christ”.

The nwtsty also sometimes add footnotes. One example is Mt 1:6, which adds a footnote to the expression “by the wife of Uriah”. It reads: Or “by her who had belonged to Uriah.”

Regarding cross references, the nwtsty has more. For example, at Mt 1:2 it adds a reference after “Abraham” to Ge 11:26, and after “Jacob”, it adds a reference to 1Ch 1:34.

These are just a few examples from the first few verses of Matthew, chapter 1.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 hours ago, Qapla said:

they make a point of reading it from the 2013

Maybe the reason they use the 2013 edition is for the friends, who for whatever reason, use the paper Bible that can not be updated?

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Eventually the textual changes trickle down from the nwtsty to nwt, but only the digital editions. One example is Romans 1:26 where the 2013 edition (paper) read: “That is why God gave them over to uncontrolled sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature.”

The digital editions read: “That is why God gave them over to disgraceful sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature.”

But a major difference is how the footnotes and study notes are handled. When the Watchtower refers to a note, it is usually to the more brief nwt notes. Example:

In Mt 1:1 in the nwt has a footnote to the expression Jesus Christ. It reads: Or “the Messiah; the Anointed One.”

Now, the nwtsty does not have that footnote. Instead it has two more extensive Study Notes, one for “history of Jesus Christ”, and one for “Christ”.

The nwtsty also sometimes add footnotes. One example is Mt 1:6, which adds a footnote to the expression “by the wife of Uriah”. It reads: Or “by her who had belonged to Uriah.”

Regarding cross references, the nwtsty has more. For example, at Mt 1:2 it adds a reference after “Abraham” to Ge 11:26, and after “Jacob”, it adds a reference to 1Ch 1:34.

These are just a few examples from the first few verses of Matthew, chapter 1.

Good explanation. Thanks. Except that the cross-reference in Mt 1:2 to 1 Ch 1:34 is also in the printed edition (original printing). Otherwise, very well researched!

Edited by Sheep

Good explanation. Thanks. Except that the cross-reference in Mt 1:2 to 1 Ch 1:34 is also in the printed edition (original printing). Otherwise, very well researched!

You’re right. Tired me had another cross reference in mind.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Maybe its just me (and it probably is :) ) , but I still don't see the need to have digital editions of the Study Bible and the 2013 NWT.  Bro Johan pointed out about the footnotes, but the Study Bible has a more extensive study note that covers and adds to the footnote, making the original footnote obsolete.   Plus more cross references, more footnotes, more extensive glossary.  I don't think you would lose out on something if it wasn't in the WT or JW Library.  No one complains that only the Rbi8 Reference bible is included and not the bi12 bible.

To convince me that the digital edition of the 2013 NWT is still necessary, I would need to know what that has that the Study Bible does not

It is interesting to note that WT Library still has the 2016 printing of the NWT, whereas JWL and WOL have been updated to the 2018 printing.  You can compare the Romans 1:26 mentioned earlier. 

I also think the term "Study Bible" is also confusing, and can be confused with your personal study bible that you use to write notes in the margins and highlight passages.  The full title of the bible is actually "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)"

Maybe its just me (and it probably is ) , but I still don't see the need to have digital editions of the Study Bible and the 2013 NWT.  Bro Johan pointed out about the footnotes, but the Study Bible has a more extensive study note that covers and adds to the footnote, making the original footnote obsolete.   Plus more cross references, more footnotes, more extensive glossary.  I don't think you would lose out on something if it wasn't in the WT or JW Library.  No one complains that only the Rbi8 Reference bible is included and not the bi12 bible.

To convince me that the digital edition of the 2013 NWT is still necessary, I would need to know what that has that the Study Bible does not

It is interesting to note that WT Library still has the 2016 printing of the NWT, whereas JWL and WOL have been updated to the 2018 printing.  You can compare the Romans 1:26 mentioned earlier. 

I also think the term "Study Bible" is also confusing, and can be confused with your personal study bible that you use to write notes in the margins and highlight passages.  The full title of the bible is actually "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)"

The brothers use terms Study Edition and Study Bible interchangeably. It should NOT be confused with the Reference Bible of 1984, which was the Bible the brother from the Governing Body mistakenly read from (according to an earlier post). Study Bible is also a common expression for Bibles with a lot of extra material. You might want to view the nwtsty as a kick start and great addition to your own Study Bible project.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

When I did a search on jw.org using "nwt study bible".

The 2015-10-02 entry "Use the Study Bible" mentions:

"The study edition of the book of Matthew was published in English in October 2015.

Additional Bible books will be added as the study materials for them are completed."

I believe that right now the discovery icon (diamond icon) on the bible book indicates the study bible entry for the bible book. (currently matthew to romans)

I guess only when the diamond icon appears on all the bible books will the study bible be completed.

When I did a search on jw.org using "nwt study bible".

The 2015-10-02 entry "Use the Study Bible" mentions:

"The study edition of the book of Matthew was published in English in October 2015.
Additional Bible books will be added as the study materials for them are completed."

I believe that right now the discovery icon (diamond icon) on the bible book indicates the study bible entry for the bible book. (currently matthew to romans)

I guess only when the diamond icon appears on all the bible books will the study bible be completed.

Aside from the diamond entries, the Study Bible also includes additional appendices.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I use an older, slower device out in service and the Revised NWT loads faster on JWL than the Study Bible. The device has limit space so I deleted the Study bible from the device.

I'm sorry if this comment is off-topic but it seems this thread has drifted from the WTLIB to a discussion about the Study bible...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I use an older, slower device out in service and the Revised NWT loads faster on JWL than the Study Bible. The device has limit space so I deleted the Study bible from the device.

I'm sorry if this comment is off-topic but it seems this thread has drifted from the WTLIB to a discussion about the Study bible...

Oh. Sorry to be off-topic.

I had meant to post my question on the thread  "New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages"

But in my excitement I forgot to do so.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Actually, this is a valid reason for having both options, at least with JW Library.  However with WT Library, you have no choice as to what publications you want - its all or nothing.

Yes, the WT Library is a complete library without options to leave portions out ... but then, it is designed/intended to be used on a PC - not a portable device ... most PC's will not be limited in space to the point where the WT will have problems fitting.

The JW Library IS designed/intended for portable devices that may have limited storage and allows you to load as little or as much of the publications as you need or can fit.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, TonyWenz said:

Glad it worked out. May I please recommended you now do a full backup and maybe a 'restore' disk so you don't have to ever do this all again.

I did that when I first got the computer and when I tried to restore the computer from the recovery disks (or even fix the corrupted files) it said something to the affect that the computer doesn't have the ability boot from a CD (I may have to go into the BIOS and see what the settings are because that seemed strange to me that a laptop wouldn't have that ability) and it refused to read the CD's. 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, TonyWenz said:

Oh, and Amazon and eBay have fans at a good price. Don't cook your CPU... 

Fan was working just fine, it was just super loud.  So glad it was an easy fix, could kick myself for dealing with all that noise for the last couple of years when it was so easy to take care of! I used to just bang the back of the CPU where the fan was and it would stop for a while but then it got to the point where that didn't work.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D