JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

18 hours ago, endurance said:

First and foremost.  I must admit, I haven't read each members contribution.  I am new to the forum and to be honest, a little hesitant to get involved.  I've been in the TRUTH now since 1950, aged ten.  My own personal WT library consisted of every publication, from the Informant..predecessor of the KM.  I had the complete year book collection etc.  So when the Society introduced the CD of the WT Library.   Wowee!  Space at home had come almost to a standstill.  Apart from the society's publicatins, I also had a large library of other books.

Preparing for a public or student talk, suddenly  a click here and there, and all was reveald.  Prior to that.  My desk was cluttered with many books. Pads and pencils.  Now a few clicks, cut and paste and that's it, or is it?  Researching the old way....Bible, wt's whatever your eyes were searching.  Your research expanded.  Now with today's IT, all is different.  Yes I have tablet.  NO I never use it in the ministry or on the platform.  Perhaps it's just me, but.  Technology is good and sometimes not so good.  A sudden failure in the telecommunications systems and.  ZILCH.

Oh my! You were in the truth before I was born, just like one couple in our congregation. (Funny, they were always in this congregation; never anywhere else. And they live almost next door to the KH.) They are such an encouragement, with their rich history in the organization! You are likely looked up to in the same way in your congregation. You are to be commended for your determination and faith!

Somewhere along the way I inherited all the bound volumes and older books and brochures from that era from a brother who passed away. He was the first Witness I ever spoke to, although he didn't study with me. Anyway, I still have all of those volumes, books, and brochures, even though I use Watchtower Library regularly for doing research. It's quicker, that's all, and I have no problem with it. But once in a while I like flipping through an old bound volume (There's just something about turning pages...), something you can't do with electronic versions. JW Library is nowhere near the capabilities of Watchtower Library though, although plans are in the works to import some of the same features into the former. We'll see what that looks like.

I have a tablet too, but like you I never use it in the ministry or on the platform. I previously used the tablet during the meetings, but more recently I don't use the tablet for anything at the meeting at all. I've had it for almost a year, but don't like it. I have repeatedly had problems with it, and none of the brothers in the hall can figure out why. :confused: The only thing I use the tablet for now is reading the newspaper, but other than that nothing theocratic at all. Your comment about technology is, for me, right on target. I just can't get used to it. Don't feel alone.

First and foremost.  I must admit, I haven't read each members contribution.  I am new to the forum and to be honest, a little hesitant to get involved.  I've been in the TRUTH now since 1950, aged ten.  My own personal WT library consisted of every publication, from the Informant..predecessor of the KM.  I had the complete year book collection etc.  So when the Society introduced the CD of the WT Library.   Wowee!  Space at home had come almost to a standstill.  Apart from the society's publicatins, I also had a large library of other books.
Preparing for a public or student talk, suddenly  a click here and there, and all was reveald.  Prior to that.  My desk was cluttered with many books. Pads and pencils.  Now a few clicks, cut and paste and that's it, or is it?  Researching the old way....Bible, wt's whatever your eyes were searching.  Your research expanded.  Now with today's IT, all is different.  Yes I have tablet.  NO I never use it in the ministry or on the platform.  Perhaps it's just me, but.  Technology is good and sometimes not so good.  A sudden failure in the telecommunications systems and.  ZILCH.

We will be encouraged to use the digital platforms even more in the future, if possible - in the ministry, at the meetings, and for personal study.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

21 hours ago, endurance said:

Perhaps it's just me, but.  Technology is good and sometimes not so good.  A sudden failure in the telecommunications systems and.  ZILCH.

Yes, technology, and old style books, has both advantages and disadvantages, and you have summed them up very well. The good part is that you can use both. :)

If you prefer to use printed publications at the meeting, that's great. You still have all you need for the meetings in paper format. Do you prefer to download them onto your tablet? No problem. The best of both worlds.

There's a field, however, where we do need to learn to use our tablet or phone in the ministry. Videos have become a very important part of our service. And the fact is that people don't read much anymore but they love videos. Nowadays a 2-minute video is much more efficient in most cases than a printed magazine. And if you have a Bible study, showing videos when you study certain subjects is a must. Jehovah knows what people are like today and he makes sure we get the most efficient tools for them. :) Other than that, I still use my paper Bible all the time, both at the meetings, in ministry or when I read the Bible at home.

We will be encouraged to use the digital platforms even more in the future, if possible - in the ministry, at the meetings, and for personal study.
While I too prefer a book to leaf through or a magazine to mark and read, the digital age speeds up our access to accurate and new information.
I.e. Before the Pure Worship book is here in print, I can download it and read it!
Any 'typos' or updates can roll out instantly.
Theoretically, when a new magazine is uploaded from HQ, we all have it instantly available. No printing, packing, shipping, unpacking etc.

However, it was such a great event to have the 2013 NWT put in my hands at a meeting here in rural Australia, I will miss the tactile and physical side of unwrapping a new gift (if it ever goes fully online).
While there is a lot of machinery and equipment involved in the production of books, booklet and magazines, the production of a phone or tablet to 'read' the digital information is far more complex.
I'll be interested to see how it all unfolds.

Older {waiting for wiser}

23 hours ago, endurance said:

NO I never use it in the ministry or on the platform.  Perhaps it's just me, but.  Technology is good and sometimes not so good.  A sudden failure in the telecommunications systems and.  ZILCH.

This thread has some length to it but it is good to remember the "weight" aspect as well.  In the old days I tool many books to a Progressive Bible Study.  Can you remember the large leather briefcase or Captain's bag with rollers?  A set of Insight books, some bound volumes, a hard-bound study book or two, a reasoning book, All Scriptures book and so one.  Now it is in a 10" tablet for me.  And the videos and "gems" and references with pictures come with the electronic Study Bible which are lacking  in the 2013 paper copy.

Our new publications start each chapter with a video (but not in the paper copy).  The list goes on.  I can share an electronic copy of a publication to people around the world who might never get a paper copy in the mail (or my ability to send it).  We used to study by mail with interested ones.  We would ask a question on paper, mail it and wait for a reply.  They would read the question, try to find the answers in their book, write it down and send the answer back.  The answer was incomplete or in error.  We would write an explanation, mail it and wait. ...and so on.  Now we chat by cell phone or conduct the study by Skype or we email quickly.  Times are changing and our work speeds up.

By the way, I love books (my library has thousands)...but I love people more so I try to adapt.

While I too prefer a book to leaf through or a magazine to mark and read, the digital age speeds up our access to accurate and new information.
I.e. Before the Pure Worship book is here in print, I can download it and read it!
Any 'typos' or updates can roll out instantly.
Theoretically, when a new magazine is uploaded from HQ, we all have it instantly available. No printing, packing, shipping, unpacking etc.

However, it was such a great event to have the 2013 NWT put in my hands at a meeting here in rural Australia, I will miss the tactile and physical side of unwrapping a new gift (if it ever goes fully online).
While there is a lot of machinery and equipment involved in the production of books, booklet and magazines, the production of a phone or tablet to 'read' the digital information is far more complex.
I'll be interested to see how it all unfolds.

Older {waiting for wiser}

As mentioned in the WT article this week, there’s also the aspect of cost. We want the GB to make the best use of donated funds, and to that end we prefer to use the digital publications instead of printed ones as much as possible.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

Updated now to version 1713.

1713.JPG.fbab9c3291d30e7703110c9fe385d545.JPG

This update was somewhat bigger than the last one. I have to look around and see what's new in it.

The update numbers usually reflect the month they were released in.  Bet we already had one in Decembers (1712) earlier this month.  Interesting.

5 hours ago, Sheep said:

Updated now to version 1713.

This update was somewhat bigger than the last one. I have to look around and see what's new in it.

The Insight was updated...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It seems that every once in a while, a update forms a new baseline for the library.  Update 1711, was the last one, that is why the last update and this one is smaller.  1713 contains all that 1712 does.  So if you start from a new install of 1700, it would install 1711, then 1713.  If you download the update package from jw.org that is what it contains, 1711 and 1713.

The numbers, although they seem to be the month, aren't really.  They are just numbers.  There has been 13 updates since 1700.  Note it hasn't been updated to 1800 yet.  No new features or bug fixes since 1702

4 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

It seems that every once in a while, a update forms a new baseline for the library.  Update 1711, was the last one, that is why the last update and this one is smaller.  1713 contains all that 1712 does.  So if you start from a new install of 1700, it would install 1711, then 1713.  If you download the update package from jw.org that is what it contains, 1711 and 1713.

The numbers, although they seem to be the month, aren't really.  They are just numbers.  There has been 13 updates since 1700.  Note it hasn't been updated to 1800 yet.  No new features or bug fixes since 1702

Br.Jonathan, they are just update numbers, that is true.  But it is rare that we update more than once a month.  If it was common, we would see an update  number of ...say...1723.

Edited by jwhess

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, rocket said:

I clicked on the update now button in the pop-up and this is what I got in return.  Anyone know of a fix or is uninstalling and reinstalling the only fix?

No joy,  mine update with no problem.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 hours ago, rocket said:

57133391_WatchtowerLibrary.thumb.jpg.d987fb5455c725210494aee30eba7a2f.jpg

I clicked on the update now button in the pop-up and this is what I got in return.  Anyone know of a fix or is uninstalling and reinstalling the only fix?

Lynn, that has happened to me with other updates. Apparently the downloaded file was corrupted and it ruined the program database. You may try to download the update again and apply it for a second time. But it will take you less time to uninstall and reinstall.

58 minutes ago, carlos said:

Lynn, that has happened to me with other updates. Apparently the downloaded file was corrupted and it ruined the program database. You may try to download the update again and apply it for a second time. But it will take you less time to uninstall and reinstall.

I couldn't open WL at all so I uninstalled/reinstalled and now in the process of updating. Update is 2 GB so it will take a while.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Does that mean that we should be wasteful of resources.  Every KB, MB and GB downloaded costs money.  Not only the organisations' money that we donate, by also bills to your telecom provider.  Efficiency may not be a fruitage of the spirit, but Jehovah is an efficient God.

Although I'm not a brother, but Jonathan your comments frighten me! Why are you questioning what and how the organization does things? Please go back and read your comments and decide for yourself if they sound appropriate!
Your concerned sister, Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

That's the year I was born! Two things in common ...we love Jehovah and 1950!

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

On 11/13/2018 at 5:00 PM, Jonathan77 said:

The update package contains the same files as before, except for a few extras.  The videos and most of the files are the same.  Its designed so it can update the library from any version from 1701 or higher.  Over the course of 2018,  it has downloaded over 10gb of updates, with 1gb or less of actual updates.

Do you know you are downloading and using your limited expensive data on downloading files you probably already have. 

I would much rather have an update function that checks the individual files for newer versions and only download the ones required, not a whole package.  I think the update provision is a great idea, but its not implemented very well.

Update 1710 is only 374MB and update 1801 is only 91MB in size.

I think the brothers have implemented incremental updates. No more redundant downloads of files.

SCR011.jpg.522c5748d61533592154ec5d8fc3683b.jpg

1 hour ago, Cherie said:

Hi, 

Sorry to ask this, there's probably an answer in this thread already...

What I was wondering is, is there anything on the WT Library DVD that isn't on our other three websites?

Thanks in advance for the help 

Hello sister Shari,
On our websites you will find more content than on the DVD. The Watchtower Library works offline. This saves money and makes it easier to print content.