JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

2 hours ago, Naith said:

I keep trying to apply update 7 but I get the message that it has failed. Each time it asks for me to close any other instances of the WTL and try again. Could anyone send me the link to the update which I can apply manually, please? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :-)

If you have previous versions of WT library installed (2015, etc) delete them and reboot.  That worked for some of my friends.

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

If you have previous versions of WT library installed (2015, etc) delete them and reboot.  That worked for some of my friends.

I'm afraid I don't - it's a fresh install of Win 10. I tried the suggestions above but nada... :-(

3 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

The update process is seeing Watchtower Library, or something else with "Watchtower Library" in its title still open.  Is the program folder open?  Check the Task Manager, and close other Watchtower Library programs that may be open.

I've looked but I can't see any WTL program or process open

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Are you opening WT Library (2016), going to the "help" tab at the top of the page (left side), clicking this and choosing "check for updates" and installing from there?

Yes, I've tried that a number of times. Other times I let it start updating by itself

3 hours ago, A fellow servant said:

Someone may have already asked this question, "Is there a link to download the Wt. Library to a mac?"    

No, the Watchtower Library was never released for Mac OS.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, Naith said:

Yes, I've tried that a number of times. Other times I let it start updating by itself

If you go to the apps (where you can see them by name for deletion) and you don't see any other program or app with the designation "Watchtower" it may be a glitch in the registry or some other system level function.  You could try deleting the DVD installation of the 2016 version and rebooting and re-installing the DVD program from the original disk.  It will install and update to the latest version (#7) at the same time.

The only downside to this approach is that it may just refuse to re-install and then you have no WT Library at all.  This would be rare but your problem is not common either.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

If you go to the apps (where you can see them by name for deletion) and you don't see any other program or app with the designation "Watchtower" it may be a glitch in the registry or some other system level function.  You could try deleting the DVD installation of the 2016 version and rebooting and re-installing the DVD program from the original disk.  It will install and update to the latest version (#7) at the same time.

The only downside to this approach is that it may just refuse to re-install and then you have no WT Library at all.  This would be rare but your problem is not common either.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot tomorrow ;-)

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, iambryan said:

after the update, I can't use my JW library

Bryan, it sounds like the update was corrupted.

Uninstall and reinstall WT Library, then download the update again. If you are running Windows XP it might no  longer work with the update.

4 hours ago, carlos said:

Bryan, it sounds like the update was corrupted.

Uninstall and reinstall WT Library, then download the update again. If you are running Windows XP it might no  longer work with the update.

I still have Windows XP and the update works fine for me.

I would uninstall and then reinstall - as mentioned.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

You might also check out this topic by Ross, The error message is different but it too happened after the recent update. You can try following the steps outlined in there and see if it fixes your issue as it did for her:

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/34071-watchtower-library-went-kaboom/

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

I still have Windows XP and the update works fine for me.

I would uninstall and then reinstall - as mentioned.

Br. Jerry, are you running the very latest update (from the middle of December)?  That is the one that seems to have caused problems with XP.

edit: I think it is update 1701

Edited by jwhess

On 1/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, jwhess said:

Br. Jerry, are you running the very latest update (from the middle of December)?  That is the one that seems to have caused problems with XP.

edit: I think it is update 1701

Yep

1701.thumb.jpg.9026dbc37f856a61b9bcf56e5f3b618f.jpg

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

This is for those MAC users who are using High Sierra and have problem with the WT Library 2016 DVD that previously could be used to install WT Lib 2016 on Sierra. I'm not a MAC user but a brother who uses High Sierra said this solved the problem. I'm just hoping this may be of benefit to any who are trying out High Sierra.

Right-click the WT Library file from the Applications folder.

And you open a menu and choose Show Package Content and click Wineskin.

From the menu, click on Set Screen Options and deselect Auto Detect GPU and Use Direct3D Boost and click Done.