JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

4 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

I see, thank you to both you brothers. So if I copy the contents of the Watchtower DVD (along with the set up files such as wtlsetup.exe), and place them onto a USB drive and plug it into a new computer, it will act like I inserted a DVD.

Yes, this works. Probably you will have to manually click on SETUP.EXE to start the installation.

On Windows 10 you can right-click an ISO file and select "mount". The contents of the ISO file will appear as if you had inserted the DVD. This doesn't work in older versions of Windows.

I still prefer the HD installed Watchtower library.  I find it not only faster, but the copy and paste as well as the extract are awesome.  When you copy and paste from the WOL it sometimes jumbles stuff or re-formats the paragraphs.  I didn't realize it was a complete download now from JW.org  That's great since CD-Rom drives are going away.  Anyone remember 1.44 floppy's?  lol

6 minutes ago, The Deej said:

Anyone remember 1.44 floppy's?  lol

I remember 5¼" and 8" floppy's

image.png.f6303671f7eba616e98027b9fd1148f2.png they ran in drives like theseimage.png.a02ab693e206c5b38485e09935431b4b.png

In fact, I still have some of all three sizes

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I remember 5¼" and 8" floppy's

image.png.f6303671f7eba616e98027b9fd1148f2.png they ran in drives like theseimage.png.a02ab693e206c5b38485e09935431b4b.png

In fact, I still have some of all three sizes

Oh yeah!!!

What a pain if you have a lot to save.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

40 minutes ago, The Deej said:

^^^^^^ I'm not saying your old, but......lol

I used them too..😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 3/8/2019 at 12:50 AM, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

Korea has generally good internet speed, so this shouldn't be a problem, but many people still a have hard time using the computers or other tech-related stuffs, like mounting a virtual drive.

Less than 10 years ago we we told it was not necessary to go out and buy a "digital device".

This week's Watchtower study makes this comment:

The Watchtower January 2019

STUDY ARTICLE 2

Praise Jehovah in the Congregation

16. What tools are available to you, and how do you use them?

16 If possible for you, use the digital tools provided in a language you know. Jehovah, through his organization, has given us electronic tools to help us prepare for the meetings. The JW Library app enables us to download study publications onto a mobile device. Then we can study—or at least read or listen to the material—anytime and anywhere. Some use this tool to study during a lunch break at work or at school or while traveling. The Watchtower Library and the Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY make it very easy to research points in the lesson that we wish to explore more thoroughly.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, Qapla said:

I'm old enough that my first programming was done on 80 column punch cards

image.png.70a74e9eac43e0e910b39ba60d05691e.png

image.png.3ed1286c4a1246c0d782edbf5052f927.png

image.png.739dcf824f48e212cb267406f63c3385.png

Scantron?

On 3/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, jwhess said:

Less than 10 years ago we we told it was not necessary to go out and buy a "digital device".

This week's Watchtower study makes this comment:

The Watchtower January 2019

STUDY ARTICLE 2

Praise Jehovah in the Congregation

16. What tools are available to you, and how do you use them?

16 If possible for you, use the digital tools provided in a language you know. Jehovah, through his organization, has given us electronic tools to help us prepare for the meetings. The JW Library app enables us to download study publications onto a mobile device. Then we can study—or at least read or listen to the material—anytime and anywhere. Some use this tool to study during a lunch break at work or at school or while traveling. The Watchtower Library and the Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY make it very easy to research points in the lesson that we wish to explore more thoroughly.

Yup...times change. 

Please can someone inbox me the updated Watchtower Library so that I can update mine with it. I have wasted a lot of data trying to do the online update to no avail, I don't want to go through that process again. I don't have more money to risk again.

Please, can someone help me with an updated package?

Sent from my TECNO DP7CPRO using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TRUTH04 said:

Please can someone inbox me the updated Watchtower Library so that I can update mine with it. I have wasted a lot of data trying to do the online update to no avail, I don't want to go through that process again. I don't have more money to risk again.

Please, can someone help me with an updated package?

I think that is not possible. You can order the last version of the library in the congregation.
There are also many brothers in Nigeria. Surely you find a brother who can help you. There should also be a lot of free internet in Nigeria.
Here in Germany there is free Internet in the coffee shops, Mc Donalds, in the public library and in the Kingdom Hall.
So you can drink a good coffee or read a book and do the updates.

1 hour ago, The German said:

I think that is not possible. You can order the last version of the library in the congregation.

The branch doesn't provide the Watchtower DVD anymore. And even if there's some DVD still left in the congregation, the program will need to be updated. That is exactly Chigozie's situation: He already has the DVD installed but he's unable to update it because his internet connection is not reliable.

There's one way to do what he wants. If you have an updated Watchtower Library, you can go to the menu Help > Manual updates > Create. It will prepare an 2 GB update file that contains all the cumulative updates. Then you can send that file to the brother who needs it.

I'm preparing the file and sending it to Chigozie so there's no need to do anything else in this case. :) But this method may be useful if someone you know has the same problem.

S-147 says : As a result, the demand for Watchtower Library on DVD-ROM is greatly reduced. Therefore, Watchtower Library on DVD-ROM will no longer be produced each year.

= you will get one.

Since it is possible to update the library online I helped many brothers to do so. The online update works exceptionally well since DVD 2016.
But if the DVD is installed incorrectly or the internet connection is not working properly, every installation, every update will fail.
The best thing is a new clean installation of Watchtower library and then an update over a stable internet connection.
I hope it works with the manual update. Again, a very large file must be downloaded properly.

4 hours ago, The German said:

There should also be a lot of free internet in Nigeria.
Here in Germany there is free Internet in the coffee shops, McDonald's, in the public library and in the Kingdom Hall.
So you can drink a good coffee or read a book and do the updates.

This may work for the JWLibrary app where you can take your portable device to a public location. However, the WT Library (DVD) is usually installed on a "desktop" or similar "non-portable" computer ... so, it may not be possible to take the device with the WT Library to a public location with free Internet.

Simple ... he can d/l the 2gb file to a portable device and take it to his PC with the WTL on it ... he may not be able to take the PC to a location where he can d/l the update directly

Edited by Qapla

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Simple ... he can d/l the 2gb file to a portable device and take it to his PC with the WTL on it ... he may not be able to take the PC to a location where he can d/l the update directly

But as soon as it is loaded, it looks for the next update (usually waiting to be downloaded). None of these last more than a month.

This link will download the base update package that will update from 2017 (as provided on DVD or ISO) to the 2019 version.  It is almost 4gb

http://download-a.akamaihd.net/meps/wtlibrary/WTLibrary/E/WTE/WTLibrary.E.WTE.1901.BASE.UPDATEPKG

Next, for the latest updates

http://download-a.akamaihd.net/meps/wtlibrary/WTLibrary/E/WTE/WTLibrary.E.WTE.1902.UPDATEPKG

Edited by Jonathan77

6 hours ago, carlos said:

The branch doesn't provide the Watchtower DVD anymore. And even if there's some DVD still left in the congregation, the program will need to be updated. That is exactly Chigozie's situation: He already has the DVD installed but he's unable to update it because his internet connection is not reliable.

There's one way to do what he wants. If you have an updated Watchtower Library, you can go to the menu Help > Manual updates > Create. It will prepare an 2 GB update file that contains all the cumulative updates. Then you can send that file to the brother who needs it.

I'm preparing the file and sending it to Chigozie so there's no need to do anything else in this case. :) But this method may be useful if someone you know has the same problem.

I’m not sure how cumulative that 2GB update is. Last night I turned on my PC for the first time since about January and it downloaded the 2GB update. Then when I came back a little later it had downloaded another. I didn’t check the size.

(Why are these files so big? Must be some reason that they can’t do delta updates.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

If Br. Chigozie can't download the 2 gb file from our website how does he download the 2 gb file  for manual update from Carlos?
I can d/l. I did so with my current WLib. In this case of my trying to update, the progress bar reached to 99%, but there wasn't any progress again. It stood on 99% for such a long time, that I hard to "pause" it. And hibernated the computer. Next day, restarted the update, it refused to start off the update.

I had to cancel it, then "search(ed) for update" again, and it started afresh. These same thing had happened last month before. The data is squandered, yet I didn't get what I wanted.

I recharge my data monthly and manage it throughout the month. But I had to recharge data twice per month because of the update. That's quite an expenditure for me. Yet, I would love it if I had to make such sacrifice, I get what I want. Not to be wasting data I would have used for something else.

Now, the data am using now is another recharge that cost N1,500. So I have spent N3,000 for just one month. Am browsing with the second N1,500. So I don't want to waste this money trying to go through that online update again. That will reach 99% and stops there. Normally, my data serves me and my wife for a whole month and beyond, but now, see how our money is wasted. Yet no result.

These d/l are huge. For some areas like ours that we don't have these free WiFi in shops, joints, offices etc, its costly, getting an update.

I have 2017 DVD. I did update it mostly in 2018. But I noticed this problem from when the update reached 2gig.

So, I need an update package, that I would d/l onto my laptop storage system, so that I will update with it. In other words, I want a sure download that won't interrupt on the way and would have to start afresh. That consumes my data because the update is big, one can't afford to waste such amount.

I have seen this before with updates.  I think it is because the base update is now larger than 2gb, a bug in the calculations affects the download progress and when it reaching 2gb it seems stuck at 99%, when in fact there is much more to download.  In reality 2gb when it reaches 2gb it should only by about 50%.

I think it is time to refresh the ISO to the 2019 edition.  Most of the files are replaced by the update package.

Personally I would have a basic library app with no publications installed.  Then you download the publications as a separate package.  Also because the videos are such a large part of package, I would have two options, one with videos, one without to save data.  You may already have the videos, so why download again?

Another option would be split the library according to the indexes, one for 1950-1985, and another for 1986 to today.  If you have no need for the older publications, you could save data by not downloading them.  I rarely look at anything before 1986 anyway. These are just my own opinions.

I have seen this before with updates.  I think it is because the base update is now larger than 2gb, a bug in the calculations affects the download progress and when it reaching 2gb it seems stuck at 99%, when in fact there is much more to download.  In reality 2gb when it reaches 2gb it should only by about 50%.

I think it is time to refresh the ISO to the 2019 edition.  Most of the files are replaced by the update package.
Personally I would have a basic library app with no publications installed.  Then you download the publications as a separate package.  Also because the videos are such a large part of package, I would have two options, one with videos, one without to save data.  You may already have the videos, so why download again?
Another option would be split the library according to the indexes, one for 1950-1985, and another for 1986 to today.  If you have no need for the older publications, you could save data by not downloading them.  I rarely look at anything before 1986 anyway. These are just my own opinions.
Is that what you wish the Org should do or what I should do?