JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

On 1/10/2019 at 6:46 AM, Cherie said:

Sorry to ask this, there's probably an answer in this thread already...

What I was wondering is, is there anything on the WT Library DVD that isn't on our other three websites?

Now all the contents of the DVD are on WOL too.

If you have access to internet from your computer, you don't really need the DVD anymore. Although many users still prefer to do searches in the DVD.

Edited by carlos

Have insignia tablet 32gb added storage 120 gb. This is where I downloaded WTLIB,to the storage. Havent had any problems til today. Its a big update 2gb. I think it was saving updates to the device storage. That storage is full.  How do I get it to save update to card storage? I set it to save all downloads to the card too. Now I have successfully saved update package . It saved it to device(thought it was full) I cut and pasted it to card and tried to apply it from there but nothing happens just stops and does nothing. Maybe it was the cut and paste . it wasn't verified ??? I'm trying to download straight to the card deleted other download. 

Edited by ohiojunebug

1 hour ago, ohiojunebug said:

Have insignia tablet 32gb added storage 120 gb. This is where I downloaded WTLIB,to the storage. Havent had any problems til today. Its a big update 2gb. I think it was saving updates to the device storage. That storage is full.  How do I get it to save update to card storage? I set it to save all downloads to the card too. Now I have successfully saved update package . It saved it to device(thought it was full) I cut and pasted it to card and tried to apply it from there but nothing happens just stops and does nothing. Maybe it was the cut and paste . it wasn't verified ??? I'm trying to download straight to the card deleted other download. 

Gave up and deleted WTLIB from his tablet. He is just studying and doesn't use it that much anyway. Just wanted to have everything updated and was couldn't on his device. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, carlos said:

Then probably JW Library is more than enough for him. :)

Sorry I'm back to this again.  My stubborn inclination when it comes to electronics not beating me.. wont let me quit. The website offers the jw lib download. This probably will have the latest updates already in the download. I could download this to my computer and add it directly to the SD card in his ,while in my computer, and put it into his Insignia??? It should take it. 

It sounds more like I'm talking out loud and just want someone to verify I'm not crazy. 😄

P.S. The latest update to windows 10 blew out his speakers . Looked it up and the its the update. No one's found a fix because there are no more updates for Insignia tablet. It just may be  the excuse I need to get him a  newer one.😉

Yes, that should work.

The downloaded file is an .iso. You need to mount that in your computer (in Windows 10 just right-click and select Mount), then copy the files to your tablet. Then run SETUP.exe from your tablet.

Once installed you can delete the installation files, of course.

Edited by carlos

On 1/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, carlos said:

Yes, that should work.

The downloaded file is an .iso. You need to mount that in your computer (in Windows 10 just right-click and select Mount), then copy the files to your tablet. Then run SETUP.exe from your tablet.

It did work  with a zip file from Bro Musky. Now if I can get it to update. Thanks for encouragement and help. 

This is interesting. I have several years ofWTlibrarys on this computer. I thought I could research some publications that were dissapearing on newer versions. Today I wanter to research the "Your will" book which is not on the 2018 edition, so I opened ALL PUBLICATIONS/BOOKS in the 2014 edition. Under books the ‘Your Will’ is no longer listed, likewise the 'James" book. The source material seems to only be the 2018 versions. I assume that the original source material for 2014 would still include these publications, but am not sure how to access them short of removing the latest version and reinstalling 2014. I am not being allowed to run 2014 WTlibrary from the CD, likewise the 2012 version will no run from the CD.

Any ideas on accessing 2014 WTlibary/publication/books? :confused:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

32 minutes ago, Old said:

This is interesting. I have several years ofWTlibrarys on this computer. I thought I could research some publications that were dissapearing on newer versions. Today I wanter to research the "Your will" book which is not on the 2018 edition, so I opened ALL PUBLICATIONS/BOOKS in the 2014 edition. Under books the ‘Your Will’ is no longer listed, likewise the 'James" book. The source material seems to only be the 2018 versions. I assume that the original source material for 2014 would still include these publications, but am not sure how to access them short of removing the latest version and reinstalling 2014. I am not being allowed to run 2014 WTlibrary from the CD, likewise the 2012 version will no run from the CD.

Any ideas on accessing 2014 WTlibary/publication/books? :confused:

I reinstalled 2014 and now have 'Commentary on James', also 2014 not longer shows publications released after 2014 which it did before..  Maybe I am delusional and 'Your Will" was not included in 2014 edition.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

57 minutes ago, Old said:

I reinstalled 2014 and now have 'Commentary on James', also 2014 not longer shows publications released after 2014 which it did before..  Maybe I am delusional and 'Your Will" was not included in 2014 edition.

I keep PDF copies of the older books on my computer.  I use the DVD Library Index to find the appropriate material and then look up the references in the other folder with the PDF book.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, carlos said:

Yes, that should work.

I finally realized you said mount the card in my computer. I thought it worked but it didn't with the iso file from bro Musky . I mounted the SD card and added it to the libraries and Thanks to Jah it worked. thanks for all your help. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Watchtower Library updated today.

It is interesting that the Update numbering system has changed.  In previous editions the number was incremented upwards from the Published DVD based on the year of the material covered. So our latest DVD (which we haven't received yet) is the 2018 version.  So January was Update 1801, even though we are now in the year 2019.

But the update today shows the Update number of 1901 identifying it as the first update of 2019.

Feb 2019.JPG

Jan 2019.JPG

Edited by jwhess

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

The Watchtower Library updated today.

Almost 620MB, it includes the Romans Study Notes.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

The organization has announced it will discontinue producing the DVD version of the Watchtower Library.  It will be available by download only.  The updates will continue normally.  there will be no 2018 version (except for a few languages which just got their original disks).  Be sure to help new ones and older ones to get the installations they need.  You can use the 2017 DVD if you need to.  It will install and then go through 2 or 3 updates to become current.  Downloading the ISO file is easier (but it still takes a current update when it is done.)

If new ones do not have internet access, you will have to make a flash drive version and load it manually.

On 3/7/2019 at 12:50 AM, jwhess said:

The organization has announced it will discontinue producing the DVD version of the Watchtower Library.

Also heard this news in our congregation. Is it still possible to install older version of the Watchtower Library on DVD (such as 2016 or 2017) and then update it to get a current version (e.g. 2018, 2019)?

Also, how does one make a USB drive into an ISO installer? I don't think simply putting the .ISO file will instantly do the trick.

Edited by YukitoMatsuzuki

11 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

Also heard this news in our congregation. Is it still possible to install older version of the Watchtower Library on DVD (such as 2016 or 2017) and then update it to get a current version (e.g. 2018, 2019)?

Also, how does one make a USB drive into an ISO installer? I don't think simply putting the .ISO file will instantly do the trick.

This may help

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

59 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

Br. Minwoo, the answer to your first question is YES.  You can install the 2016 or 2017 DVD as normal.  Be sure to choose the auto-update.  If you don't you can search for the updates from the menu manually.  There will be more than one update involved (at least 2 or more).  Then the installation will act normally and update (about once a month).

If you have the 2016 or 2017 disk and just copy all of the files and folders to a USB flash drive (thumb drive) and then insert that into a tablet or laptop, it will show the "setup" files to install.  The program thinks it is a DVD.  It works well for those with no DVD player attached.

Downloading the ISO file is very convenient (if you have a reasonably fat internet connection) but it is over 2 GB in size.  At my slow speed, it took more than an hour and my internet dropped once so I had to start over.  When it is downloaded, it will install on Windows 19 but you will need and ISO installer program if you are trying this on Windows 7.  When it is finished, it still needs one or two updates to complete the install.

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Minwoo, the answer to your first question is YES.  You can install the 2016 or 2017 DVD as normal.  Be sure to choose the auto-update.  If you don't you can search for the updates from the menu manually.  There will be more than one update involved (at least 2 or more).  Then the installation will act normally and update (about once a month).

If you have the 2016 or 2017 disk and just copy all of the files and folders to a USB flash drive (thumb drive) and then insert that into a tablet or laptop, it will show the "setup" files to install.  The program thinks it is a DVD.  It works well for those with no DVD player attached.

Downloading the ISO file is very convenient (if you have a reasonably fat internet connection) but it is over 2 GB in size.  At my slow speed, it took more than an hour and my internet dropped once so I had to start over.  When it is downloaded, it will install on Windows 19 but you will need and ISO installer program if you are trying this on Windows 7.  When it is finished, it still needs one or two updates to complete the install.

I see, thank you to both you brothers. So if I copy the contents of the Watchtower DVD (along with the set up files such as wtlsetup.exe), and place them onto a USB drive and plug it into a new computer, it will act like I inserted a DVD.

Korea has generally good internet speed, so this shouldn't be a problem, but many people still a have hard time using the computers or other tech-related stuffs, like mounting a virtual drive.