JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I recently been interested in cooking. Better late than never. Lol. Since I don't have a lot of time or energy, I purchased a new instant pot....a pressure cooking pot. I really like it because it simple and faster than my old crockpot. I recently made pot roast and also spaghetti sauce and pasta. Turned out really good. 

Wondering....Does  anyone else use a pressure cooker? If do, what recipes have you found to be simple and good?

i would like to find a good rice and beans recipe with a lot of flavor. Maybe Mexican or Mediterranean style.:chef:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

• 2 months later...

Yes I have one and it's life changing! :lol: I used it tonight to cook a whole chicken   , I just rubbed it with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, avocado oil then seared (I can do this in the pot) and placed it on a trivia, put chicken stock in the bottom then cooked for 30 min with a 12 min steam release. I've found heaps of recipes on Pinterest. 

Have also cooked a whole roast beef and had shredded beef for tacos and I've put chicken thigh cutlets on the bone in and 20 min later it falls off the bone. I've made soup as well. The best was a rissoto that took 7 mins! I haven't had it long so want to test a few more recipes in it.

2 hours ago, madison said:

Have also cooked a whole roast beef and had shredded beef for tacos and I've put chicken thigh cutlets on the bone in and 20 min later it falls off the bone. I've made soup as well. The best was a rissoto that took 7 mins! I haven't had it long so want to test a few more recipes in it.

That must be a really BIG pot!  :lol1:

Edited by bohemian

Old age and dementia! That's my excuse, anyway.

I absolutely love mine. Saturday I put in tough 'ol stew meat, marinated for 3 hours with montreal steak seasoning first. I put in a quart of beef stock, dehydrated wild mushrooms and 1 whole chopped onion. Cooked for 40 minutes. Oh my goodness, so great. When I warm up leftovers using the 'gravy' I add pea pods and broccoli to it, making a mini stew. Great for my thermos.

Oh and it works great for gizzards. Fork tender.  

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I bought a really nice one, 200.00 +, but I'm afraid to use it. When I was little, my grandmother's exploded and she got burned pretty badly. I never seemed to get over that fear.

I have used it a few times, but wait so far in between that I have to learn it all over again. Eventually, just stopped using it.

I know  the ones they have today are better and safer; just have to get over it..:mellow:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 1:13 AM, Pjdriver said:

I recently been interested in cooking. Better late than never. Lol. Since I don't have a lot of time or energy, I purchased a new instant pot....a pressure cooking pot. I really like it because it simple and faster than my old crockpot. I recently made pot roast and also spaghetti sauce and pasta. Turned out really good. 

Wondering....Does  anyone else use a pressure cooker? If do, what recipes have you found to be simple and good?

i would like to find a good rice and beans recipe with a lot of flavor. Maybe Mexican or Mediterranean style.:chef:

We have a 5Litre one and I always use the following recipe for a pie filling:

1 KG Fresh steak

Onions

A little red wine (1 Cup)

2 beef stock cubes

1 Cup coconut water

Celery chopped up.

6 rashers of Bacon

Worchester sauce

1 Jar of fresh tomatoes (or can or 3 0r 4 large tomatoes)

Mixed Herbs

Flour to thicken. (about 4 tbsps of cornflour or cornstarch).

When cool I line my pie tine with pastry and fill it with the steak dish.

I can make 3 family pies with this, a single pioneer brother always gets one when I do.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

If it were not for the coconut water, that sounds like a really nice pie filling.

Had to look this up - A thin slice of bacon is known as a 'rasher'

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

LOL I eat coconut everything - i cook in coconut oil, i drink and use coconut water when cooking rice and when I have to add water in other recipes, I use coconut spread on bread. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I know so many people who are afraid of the pressure cooker. I wish I could say something to alleviate that fear.

I've been a pressure canner for food preservation for 30 years and have used the cooking pressure cooker (not the same one as for preservation) for 3 years. They're easy and safe and cook so fast.

I had a really big slow cooker until I put in frozen meat  and the ceramic pot cracked, dumb huh? So then I got the pressure cooker, it does the same thing in a fraction of the time. I even start my bone broth in the pressure cooker, I'll do 2 sets of a 40 minute cook then transfer to a large stock pot and add more water and cook for another 5 hours. Ummmm, so good.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I have used a pressure cooker for well over 25 years as well.  So far so good. Although the seal/rubber gasket has been replaced.  A great way to cook and tenderize baby back ribs before the sauce.  We recently purchased a slow cooker and love the results. Nice to come home to a cooked meal with out a lot of pre-fussing. Great for the budget as well. An example: When making a roast,we don't mind left overs,using the meat to prepare other meals such as a pork roast  with veggies one night,then  use the left over meat for pulled pork sandwich's for lunch or a light dinner.  I hope to get more adventurous with the slow cooker. Oddly enough I need to start a pork loin in the slow cooker right now so our dinner will be done when we come home from late afternoon meeting (yum dinner is a 6:00 :)!

Some science- <_<:D.        At the coast, water boils at 100 degrees celsius and as you go up to higher altitudes, it boils at even lower temperatures.  Now, when you put a sealed lid on the pot, the pressure is raised to higher than atmospheric or ambient pressure.  This results in water now boiling at a much HIGHER temperature than 100C (212F). So your food is cooked quicker, at a higher temperature.  A motor vehicle radiator/ cooling system works in the same way. The pressure raises the boiling point of the water.  And these are just application of Jehovah's laws!!:)