JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Archaeologists Admit Serious Error - Ancient Tools Dated From Millions of Years Ago were Made by Monkeys(accidentally) Not Humans Ancestors

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2544 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"Stone ‘tools’ may not have been made by human ancestors, research finds"

https://cosmosmagazine.com/palaeontology/stone-tools-may-not-have-been-made-by-human-ancestors-research-finds

Monkey business forces a rethink on human evolution, reports paleoanthropologist Darren Curnoe.

When did a human-like mind first emerge, setting its owner on a path distinct to that of other apes?

We paleoanthropologists have long looked to tool use as the marker – particularly the appearance of a cutting tool known as a flake. It now seems we were wrong.

Recent research published in Nature by a team led by Tomos Proffitt at the University of Oxford shows that capuchin monkeys regularly produce sharp-edged flakes indistinguishable from those made by early hominins.

As it turns out, no. The flakes are produced by accident when the monkeys smash rocks together. Nonetheless, the capuchins have thrown a spanner in the works for archaeologists. Since the flakes they make are not tools at all, we can no longer assume the flakes found in the archaeological record are tools either.

So what these clever monkeys show us is that, if we find ancient flakes, we can no longer assume they were a tool made by a human ancestor.

The discovery of flakes at the Lomekwi archeological site in Kenya, which dates to 3.3 million years ago, led researchers to propose in 2015 that early humans appeared about 700,000 years earlier than previously thought. Now, however, without other evidence, such as cut marks on bones, we can no longer assume the flakes are evidence of a human presence.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

3 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

we can no longer assume the flakes are evidence of a human presence.

Silly hoomans, when are they gonna learn?....

One thing about this quote tho: In my life span so far it has been my misfortune to meet a number of flakes...

As near as I could tell,  they were all human. ..

That was a good one Tim :laugh:

I never thought about this, I guess I also have met a number of flakes, but they were always frosted :toothbrush:

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

9 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Hey!...

I resemble that remark...lol

sniff** I didn't think it was that bad....*sniff...:lol1:

Not that you're that bad MB, it's that you're that good! Wish I was quick witted like some of you. By the time I think of something witty 2 pages have gone by, kinda looses it zing by then.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 minute ago, bagwell1987 said:

Not that you're that bad MB, it's that you're that good! Wish I was quick witted like some of you. By the time I think of something witty 2 pages have gone by, kinda looses it zing by then.

Mom was witty and she passed it on to Tim and I, however since we split her wit it makes us half wits....:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

To all, my teacher back then cant figure out how to explain how magnificent this as the early tools but the creator is monkey, the tools are amazing but confusing too :)

I dont know its stone tools, i was wrong :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)