JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Leonardo da Vinci

Just when you thought life couldn’t get any more unfair, you learn that Leonardo da Vinci wasn’t just a genius, he was also popular and very good looking.

What Made Leonardo da Vinci a Genius? (National Geographic)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The article says he was gay. I really didn't need to know that...:(

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Since he is not around to say he was or wasn't gay, that may just be revisionist history - after all, to be politically correct, most of the figures MUST have been gay ..... it is the "new normal" and we should think it always was .... right?????

I'm sure that, before long, we will learn that Napoleon, Caesar, Hitler, George Washington, Gandhi, most of the Vikings and the Zulu nation were all gay

:deadhorse:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Since he is not around to say he was or wasn't gay, that may just be revisionist history - after all, to be politically correct, most of the figures MUST have been gay ..... it is the "new normal" and we should think it always was .... right?????

I'm sure that, before long, we will learn that Napoleon, Caesar, Hitler, George Washington, Gandhi, most of the Vikings and the Zulu nation were all gay

:deadhorse:

Da Vinci was charged with “sodomy” in 1476, but not convicted, so there’s a possibility that he was gay. The author is a respected writer, and not a revisionist historian. Ha has written biographies on Kissinger, Einstein, and Benjamin Franklin.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Probably the author of that investigation is from the LGBTXWYZ... And whatever letters they are using these days... :wink:

I don’t know. He is the president and CEO of Aspen Institute, a nonprofit think tank. It is nonpartisan and non-ideological.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The article says he was gay. I really didn't need to know that...

Why not? It puts his paintings and drawings in a different light, if you didn’t know it before.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 11/5/2017 at 12:45 AM, Thesauron said:

Just when you thought life couldn’t get any more unfair, you learn that Leonardo da Vinci wasn’t just a genius, he was also popular and very good looking.

What Made Leonardo da Vinci a Genius? (National Geographic)

all the very good looking, popular geniuses seem to be gay.  how is that even fair???  :(

all the very good looking, popular geniuses seem to be gay.  how is that even fair??? 

Not all of them, certainly, but some. Just like in society in general.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Michelangelo was gay too, apparently.  I don't think it really matters to us.  A lot of creative people are gay.  A lot of creative people are immoral. Anyway, they've long died and paid for their Adamic sins, so it's what they do when they're resurrected (I'm assuming they will be) that matters.  

(But I get why you've mentioned it - it's like the LGBTQI community want to claim their greatness as part of their agenda/assurance of normality).

Michelangelo was gay too, apparently.  I don't think it really matters to us.  A lot of creative people are gay.  A lot of creative people are immoral. Anyway, they've long died and paid for their Adamic sins, so it's what they do when they're resurrected (I'm assuming they will be) that matters.  

(But I get why you've mentioned it - it's like the LGBTQI community want to claim their greatness as part of their agenda/assurance of normality).

It kind of matters when you are studying the life and works of historical people. It has very little to with any LBTQ agenda and a lot to do with historical research. But that’s not why I posted this article.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

People with abilities like De Vinci are rare. I think it shows that his brain was functioning differently than most. Perhaps that affected his sexual inclinations as well.  Don’t really know....Just saying. 

We do know that many gay people got their wires crossed.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

We do know that many gay people got their wires crossed.

What do you mean?

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

People with abilities like De Vinci are rare.

The thing about studying geniuses is that you’re always studying one, not even one of a kind, just one. It’s really hard to draw any kind of conclusions. We know about da Vinci that he was a theatre producer with a knack for making great paintings and an insatiable interest in, well, everything. And yet, he was imperfect.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I think I may be one of the rare people (at least amongst Witnesses) that doesn't find that discovering someone is homosexual repellent.  It's a sad imperfection no different to what all of us have to deal with on some level.. and a sinfulness on par with lying, so...  :shrug:

I can respect someone's talent, gifts, attractiveness and struggle - whether they're homosexual or heterosexual.

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

What do you mean?

Seriously?

I mean when a man wants to have sex with another man....something is not normal in the brain. unless it's purely a choice....then it's a deliberate perversion. Heterosexuals can act perverted as well. 

If a person is truly born that way, and I do believe many are,  then it's obvious that there is a defect there. Unless you believe Jehovah's moral laws are flawed.

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I can respect someone's talent, gifts, attractiveness and struggle - whether they're homosexual or heterosexual.

I agree. I have worked for many gay persons over the years and come to know them.  In most cases I like them as a person, and I always treat them with the same respect as any other person of the world. In a way I do feel sorry for them. The only conclusion I can come to for those who are born that way is that it is a mental defect. Otherwise why would a woman act "butch"or a man act very feminine. The wires are crossed. 

There are a certain amount of gays that choose to be gay for various reasons. These I have less sympathy for.

2 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

There are a certain amount of gays that choose to be gay for various reasons. These I have less sympathy for.

I’ve never met anyone who has chosen to be gay, and I’ve met quite a few gay people.

7 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Otherwise why would a woman act "butch"or a man act very feminine.

My childhood friend certainly wasn’t feminine. He was sporty, a math whizz kid, and gay, it turned out. There are all sorts, though, I guess.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/201009/the-secret-creativity-oblique-perspective

"Sexual orientation is itself a factor in creativity with homosexuals (male and female) being over represented in most creative endeavors. Cities in the U.S. with a high proportion of gay residents, as inferred from Census data on living arrangements also have a large proportion of residents working in creative industries such as research, publishing, design, music, film, television, advertising, fashion, theatre, and so forth (3). Presumably gay people are attracted by creative opportunities but it is also possible that the tolerance and openness of highly creative cities is particularly welcoming to homosexuals...

Whereas the strongly gender-typed individual sees the world through a single filter, the androgynous individual can perceive the same event simultaneously through masculine and feminine eyes. An androgynous man is thus analogous to a male immigrant in the territory of women whereas an androgynous woman is like an immigrant in the nation of men. Gays are like immigrants in the world of heterosexuals.

Anyone with such an oblique perspective is privileged when it comes to artistic creativity. An immigrant, or an androgynous individual is more likely to see the same event as having opposite connotations. ...

If a person naturally associates opposites in this way, they are very good at dredging up a large number of unusual mental associations which increases artistic productivity and complexity. This is called "divergent thinking." It is what tests of creativity assess by asking people to think of many different uses for a common object such as a brick, for example. Creativity is largely environmental and has only a small genetic component."

That's one explanation of why there seems to be more homosexuals that are creative.  Not all homosexuals are creative, but on the whole they are more primed to be due to their "openness". (See http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/psychology-creative-people-see-world-differently-a7762596.html)

10 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I’ve never met anyone who has chosen to be gay, and I’ve met quite a few gay people.

I've heard a woman say she "prefers" being in a relationship with another woman because she has more things in common with her own kind. This was a woman who for most of her adult life was married to a man and had several children. She said nothing about sexual desires.

Then there are those who go back and forth from men to women. Seems more like a choice to me....but I could be wrong. Maybe they have a mental defect too. I'll leave that determination to Jehovah.

Active homosexuals are immoral. Sexually permissive heterosexuals are immoral. Both will not inherit Gods kingdom. Like it or not.

26 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

My childhood friend certainly wasn’t feminine.

Sorry, I didn't mean all gay men were feminine. 

We visited Florence last month and I was deeply impressed by the works of Leonardo, from his paintings to his flying machines to his studies on anatomy. I don't care what imperfections he had or what his private life was like because I don't intend to be his friend, just admire his artwork.

I don't care if the waiter who serves my hamburger or the doctor who is treating me are immoral, adulterous or homosexual either. I just expect them to do the job I pay them for. Not my circus, not my monkeys. :)

Edited by carlos

I've heard a woman say she "prefers" being in a relationship with another woman because she has more things in common with her own kind. This was a woman who for most of her adult life was married to a man and had several children. She said nothing about sexual desires.
Then there are those who go back and forth from men to women. Seems more like a choice to me....but I could be wrong. Maybe they have a mental defect too. I'll leave that determination to Jehovah.

Ah, they are bisexual. That’s different. Also, a lot of gay people have tried to tell themselves that they will cease being gay if they hide it by marrying or in other ways entering straight relationships. Being gay has been such a taboo that they can stay in such a relationship for the entirety of their lives, or close to. That’s usually a sign of them trying to “chose” when there is no choice.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Active homosexuals are immoral. Sexually permissive heterosexuals are immoral. Both will not inherit Gods kingdom. Like it or not.

It is true that none who knowingly does things that God disapproves of will inherit the Kingdom, gay or straight. That’s a different matter altogether.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Presumably gay people are attracted by creative opportunities but it is also possible that the tolerance and openness of highly creative cities is particularly welcoming to homosexuals...

It is quite possible that they are either attracted to such endeavours, or that they are particularly good at them, for one reason or another. But it is not certain that such endeavours have been particularly open in the past. It is very hard to say. What we can say with any degree of certainty is that some creative people in the past might have been gay.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, carlos said:

I don't intend to be his friend, just admire his artwork.

I like to pick his brain in the future when he comes back. His past imperfections don’t bother me.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”