JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wine..Wine..Wine

We all know that alcohol can be bad for us, especially when consumed irresponsibly. However, imbibing moderately may carry with it some surprising benefits

I have slightly elevated cholesterol levels so I am looking into food and drinks to help me address the potential problem

This is what I have found:

What to Look for in “Healthy” Wine

Here are the traits characterize wines that are better for you with respect to health:

1. Wines that are “dry,” meaning they’re not sweet and have little to no carbs (sugar).
  2. Wines that are lower in alcohol (ideally, 12.5% ABV or less).
  3. Wines that have higher polyphenol content, particularly procyanidins.

What Are Polyphenols and Procyanidins?

Pretty much everything in wine that’s not alcohol or water is a polyphenol. These include tannins, color pigment, aromas, resveratrol, procyanidins, and about 5,000 other plant compounds. Of these polyphenols, the most abundant in wine for health reasons are Procyanidins, which inhibit cholesterol plaque in blood vessels. This is why wine is connected with hearth health.

Polyphenols are found in the skins and seeds of grapes, so only wines that are made with skin contact (including red wines and orange wines) have elevated polyphenol levels. Certain grape varieties have more concentrations of Procyanidin. Most notably:

• Tannat The wine of Madiran in South-West France, that also grows in abundance in Uruguay
  • Sagrantino A rare grape from Umbria, producing deeply-colored wines.
  • Petite Sirah Also known as Durif, and primarily grows in California.
  • Marselan A successful crossing between Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache with very small berries that creates wines with intense deep purple hues. A rarity found in tiny amounts in France, Spain, China, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.
  • Nebbiolo Nebbiolo is an important grape of Piedmont, Italy.

These grapes contain anywhere from 2–6 times as much polyphenol content as other more popular varieties like Pinot Noir and Merlot. Concentrations of polyphenols are highest when the wine is young. Of course, there are many other variables involved, including how the grapes were harvested and the wine was made. So, if you’re looking for an easier answer, go for the taste.

http://winefolly.com/tutorial/what-types-of-red-wines-are-good-for-you/

What is your favorite wine?  (I mostly drink organic preservative free Cabernet Merlot)

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Resveratol is the thing to look for, and you can find a lot in "pinot noir" (then Merlot, Grenache and Mourvedre)

*also in dark chocolate, hmm :D

Besides that, for polyphenol, kaki is the best fruit (1g/100g)

There are polyphenols in tea, also, but don't mix it with proteins (milk !), they have a bad effect on it.

Edited by Dages

7 minutes ago, Dages said:

Resveratol

Resveratol ? I need to do more research on the subject THANKS

But generally re-discovering red wine due to my cholesterol ... (no biggy yet..just slight increase)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Dages said:

Hmm, for cholesterol, APPLES !!!

I didn't know that. Thanks!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

What is your favorite wine?  (I mostly drink organic preservative free Cabernet Merlot)

I like full bodied California red wines. There are lot of good cabs, merlot and zins grown in this area.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I like cab/merlot blends or maybe an Oregon Pinot Noir for the reds. Sometimes I get in the mood for German riesling, and that's about it for me. I'm pretty boring. Hahaa For those who like sweet wines, I would recommend ice wine.. it's a dessert wine that has been produced from grapes frozen on the vine and most are delicious.

I'm taking notes...

Wine gives me migraines (I know, what a pain!).  The combination of sugar and alcohol, plus the preservatives used. However, when I visited the Italian relies, they pressed wine on me and there was no way I could say no (to offend and Italian relative is akin to killing their mother).  And, I didn't get a headache....

Wish I knew which ones they were pushing on me :D.

Resveratol has also many other health benefits.  No wonder a little wine is good for you, thank you Jehovah!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/resveratrol#section8

16 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I have slightly elevated cholesterol levels so I am looking into food and drinks to help me address the potential problem

You're already doing the right thing by lowering carbs and sugar, especially in alcohol. Most fructose and some glucose gets metabolized by the liver. Consuming sugar (or much alcohol) lowers your 'good' HDL cholesterol (which carries the 'bad' plaque-causing LDL out of the blood and back into the liver to be metabolized). We need that cholesterol, it's one of our most vital building blocks, but everything must be in the proper ratios or your body will suffer damage. On the flip side, consuming saturated fats raises HDL levels and makes LDL larger so that it's easier to grab onto and doesn't get stuck where it's not supposed to be, lowering the amount in your blood. Just apply the same principle to everything else you're eating, pretend you're living in the 1950 or 60s. If you cut out sugar and eat plenty of saturated fats, you'll be very surprised at how your body adapts to using cholesterol for it's intended purpose. Just don't eat much sugar at all while eating fats, even olive oil... or you'll die slowly, miserably and painfully. :>

Edited by Myew

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Wine gives me migraines

I think that's the preservative in it...try wine low on preservatives..

Surprisingly Yellow-Tail Merlot $10 per bottle, is apparently very low on preservatives... that's what I was told in the bottle shop.

I am going towards preservative free wines ..there is selection available here in Melbourne.

yellow-tail-merlot-187ml-south-eastern-australia.jpg

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I think that's the preservative in it.

I do too.  I have an organic winery just down the road.  Have never tried the wine, but one day I should, just to see if it is still possible to imbibe wine again.

On another note, (speaking of preservatives), when I was in Italy, I tried to ask if there were any preservatives in the wine I was tasting.  If you google translate "preservativo" in Italian to English, you'll see why they laughed out loud.  Well..... What would I know!?

22 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Wines that are lower in alcohol (ideally, 12.5% ABV or less).

I'm a lightweight and can't handle a full glass of 12% alcohol. 6%-7% seems to be my limit, higher than that and a single glass will get me very tipsy or drunk. :lol:. A full glass of a 6% and I'm good, but two glasses I start to feel "wavy".

It's most likely that I have low tollerance from not drinking much and my height & weight. (5'5ft/166cm and 9st/126lbs).

Edited by EccentricM

5 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I'm a lightweight and can't handle a full glass of 12% alcohol. 6%-7% seems to be my limit, higher than that and a single glass will get me very tipsy or drunk. :lol:. A full glass of a6% and I'm good, but two glasses I start to feel "wavy".

It's most likely that I have low tollerance from not drinking much and my height & weight. (5'5ft/166cm and 9st/126lbs).

I only can tolerate 1 full glass as well.. alcohol tolerance is a BIG subject ..LOL

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Precision said:

image.jpeg.eb1c4fdbd131ec960b6eb28e28da70f5.jpeg

As a Christian...All things in moderation.   :whistling:

It's a good thing that I plan to live forever, it will take that long to finish the bottle...

2011724629_CostcoWine.JPG.d2d880560ede8beedcd914c900f3735d.JPG