JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Was Is/Was Your Favourite Bookstudy Book?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2086 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In the old days we used to have the bookstudy on Tuesday evenings in my home. Over the years we've studied some fine publications, but which one was your favourite?

I personally loved the Revelation book. Remember it's red cover and the great illustrations? It was deep and required a little more preparation than usual but I really got a lot out of it. After that it'd be the Greatest Man book. I don't recall if we ever studied the Mankinds Search For God book but that is a phenomenal book in my opinion. I actually regard it as one of the finest books I've read in general.

"Your Will Be Done on Earth", after that the Revelation books were a snap. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Old said:

"Your Will Be Done on Earth", after that the Revelation books were a snap. :)

Wow! that was 1958...well done.  I have to say that as a kid (8 years old) having a "family study in the "Let God Be True" book (1946, revised 1950) made me overjoyed when the pink "Paradise" book was released.in 1958...it had pictures !!!...😄

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Wow! that was 1958...well done.  I have to say that as a kid (8 years old) having a "family study in the "Let God Be True" book (1946, revised 1950) made me overjoyed when the pink "Paradise" book was released.in 1958...it had pictures !!!...😄

I remember the Let God Be True book being the first I ever read. My Mother took the literature at the door but didn't read it. I couldn't understand it very well reading as a teen on my own, but I did get one big thing from it and that was that I learned that God had a name! Not too many years later I was given the Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained book which I read from cover to cover in one night! I started studying in it shortly after. I thought I remember it as orange..just because I always was so fond of it that I remember at all but it could just be my faulty memory...☺️

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

35 minutes ago, Dove said:

I remember the Let God Be True book being the first I ever read. My Mother took the literature at the door but didn't read it. I couldn't understand it very well reading as a teen on my own, but I did get one big thing from it and that was that I learned that God had a name! Not too many years later I was given the Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained book which I read from cover to cover in one night! I started studying in it shortly after. I thought I remember it as orange..just because I always was so fond of it that I remember at all but it could just be my faulty memory...☺️

I always thought the "pink" songbook was "lilac" or "purple".  I thought the "pink" paradise book was "salmon".  go figure.  See attached and guess the color...😄

Paradise.jpeg

That is the color I remember it being, a deep orange. But at the same time, I keep feeling like it was also bright yellow. I wonder if it's possible that sometime in one of the reprints there was a yellow too.

Anyway, I'm glad that my memory still works for the orange..my long term memory that is..😄

How do you see it now in this picture? Salmon is good..😄

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

19 minutes ago, Dove said:

That is the color I remember it being, a deep orange. But at the same time, I keep feeling like it was also bright yellow. I wonder if it's possible that sometime in one of the reprints there was a yellow too.

Anyway, I'm glad that my memory still works for the orange..my long term memory that is..😄

How do you see it now in this picture? Salmon is good..😄

Maybe the yellow was the 1978 hardbound 1st edition of the "Bible Story" book? 

Bible Stories.jpeg

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

Bible Stories.jpeg

That could be what I remember...thanks for the pics...😊

852083558_BibleStories.jpeg.6291d39587c489e2cadb798541c508ba.jpeg

My all time favourite book when I was small! I remember the pic of Jezebel used to scare me so much. Then a sister moved into the cong that actually looked like her and I would always ask my mom: is that Jezebel...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/27/2018 at 3:06 AM, Brian Warner said:

In the old days we used to have the bookstudy on Tuesday evenings in my home. Over the years we've studied some fine publications, but which one was your favourite?

I personally loved the Revelation book. Remember it's red cover and the great illustrations? It was deep and required a little more preparation than usual but I really got a lot out of it. After that it'd be the Greatest Man book. I don't recall if we ever studied the Mankinds Search For God book but that is a phenomenal book in my opinion. I actually regard it as one of the finest books I've read in general.

The Revelation Book was a favorite. There was always excitement in our family when we studied that book, not because of the judgements but because it felt more like light on the foggy bridge to Paradise.

As far as I know we never studied the Mankind Search for God during the Book Study. When I decided I needed to Make the Truth My Own I read this book to serve as a guide to secular studies and it became a very important part of my life.

The Greatest Man Book (and subsequently the Jesus WTL book) is unequivocally my favorite book of all time, theocratic or secular. I rememver what it felt like to read it the first time (I missed a day of school because of it) I'm actually having a hard time during the Bible Study now because I'm so critical of how the conducts. I find myself praying for forgiveness after every meeting.😅😅

17 hours ago, jwhess said:

It isn't a "study book" but my all-time favorite is the "Proclainers" book and our spiritual history (not available in all languages-disclaimer)

This is another one of those very important books for me. I went through a period  where I felt lost in this world. I felt like I didn't belong anywhere, not spiritually but as an African-American I just felt like I didn't belong. This book was published I read the first chapter and gained an understanding I have never lost. I learned what it truly meant to be a Witness of Jehovah. Love this book.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:39 AM, jwhess said:

Bible Stories.jpeg

When I was little, I always used to ask my dad to read the story on the Balaam and the talking donkey... mainly because I liked the picture of the angel holding a sword.. lol.

Edited by EccentricM

On 6/27/2018 at 12:35 PM, Hammerhead said:

Revelation and Daniel

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mine too 😁

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

The Greatest Man book and Jesus-The Way that we are currently studying.

It blows my mind that someone walked the planet who was as wise and who enjoyed such intimate association with Jehovah.  Come to think of it, not even the angels had Jesus in an earthly role before.  It must have blown their minds seeing Jehovah’s mind in a human body.

Jehovah didn’t send anyone, he sent the best!

12 minutes ago, thebluebaron said:

It blows my mind that someone walked the planet who was as wise and who enjoyed such intimate association with Jehovah.  Come to think of it, not even the angels had Jesus in an earthly role before.  It must have blown their minds seeing Jehovah’s mind in a human body.

Jehovah didn’t send anyone, he sent the best!

So often I think about the people at that time; actually seeing Jesus, hearing his voice, and some actually touched him? Many believed he was the Messiah but not sure if they understood the immense privilege that they and Only they would have for all eons of time...those that lived in his home town saw him as a babe, watched him grow up, maybe owned furniture he made, John baptized him, those that heard his speeches, the Sermon on the Mount, those he fed, healed and those that had him for a meal. 

If they were brought back they would be the only people on earth for all eternity that actually had these blessings.. the only ones in all of mankind's history that heard and saw him in Person..

And then the ones that were entertained by angels....

22 hours ago, JayV said:

Babylon the Great Has Fallen was a favorite

Babylon the great has fallen!: Gods kingdom rules! released in 1963. I remember studying this at the weekly book study. There was a separate questions booklet. Not one of my favorite book study books, I'm afraid. No reflection on the excellent contents of the publication, more a comment on my teenage struggle to stay with the Truth at that time. Thinking about the book study back then brought back happy memories of many old friends now asleep awaiting the resurrection.

10 hours ago, Dove said:

So often I think about the people at that time; actually seeing Jesus, hearing his voice, and some actually touched him? Many believed he was the Messiah but not sure if they understood the immense privilege that they and Only they would have for all eons of time...those that lived in his home town saw him as a babe, watched him grow up, maybe owned furniture he made, John baptized him, those that heard his speeches, the Sermon on the Mount, those he fed, healed and those that had him for a meal. 

If they were brought back they would be the only people on earth for all eternity that actually had these blessings.. the only ones in all of mankind's history that heard and saw him in Person..

And then the ones that were entertained by angels....

Whenever people ask who would you like to meet from the Bible in the resurrection my answer is always Joseph and John  the Baptizer. Can you Imagine talking to Joseph about raising Jesus and John who Baptized him.  I fear Joseph will request the first restraining order in the new system because I'm gonna have 1,000,008 questions.

Oh wait 1,000,009.