JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

France Brings Back Mandatory Conscript for 16 yrs old

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2126 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/28/europe/france-national-service-trnd/index.html

It says the first phase will be they live together to learn diversity then for 3 months I think it was they do compulsory service like army, etc.

I wonder what the JW's in France will do...that's a sneaky way for Satan to try to destroy families... 😢

Edited by carlos

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

This story on Daily Mail News/June 28, 2018:

France brings back national service for all 16-year-olds

• France will re-introduce mandatory 'national service' for all young  16-year-old
  • Conscript service will last one month with an option to extend up to a year
  • The national service was a campaign pledge by Emmanuel Macron

France is bringing back compulsory national service for 16-year-olds, fulfilling one of President Emmanuel Macron's campaign pledges.

Conscripts will be made to serve for one month, with a focus on civic service as well as military training, and the option of extending the placement of up to a year.

Military conscript service was scrapped in 1996, leaving Macron the first ever French President not to have been drafted.

During his presidential campaign, Macron promised to make all young people spend a month getting 'a direct experience of military life with its know-how and demands'. He billed it as a way to build social cohesion and patriotism in a country battling deep divisions, by bringing young people from different backgrounds together in a barracks.  The new Service National Universel [Universal National Service], which is being trialled from 2019 is reportedly a watered-down version of Macron's original idea.  The mandatory one-month placement is intended to 'enable young people to create new relationships and develop their role in society,' according to the French government. Focus will be on charity work as well as traditional military training which will be carried out within the police, emergency services or the French army.  

Once the month is completed, the conscripts will have the option of extending the service of three months to a year.  

France's last conscripts were demobilised in 2001, ending nearly a century of military service which saw millions of men put through their paces.

While some French men look back fondly on their stint in the army, many middle-class youths called in well-placed contacts - or feigned mental health problems - to duck out of it. In January, Macron - the first French president not to have been called up to serve, having come of age after it ended - insisted he was not trying to resurrect the tradition which was ended by ex-president Jacques Chirac. He said his aim was to give young men and women alike 'causes to defend and battles to fight in the social, environmental and cultural domains.' 

*************************************************************************** **************************************************

Looks like our young brothers in France will be going through persecution and prison.  We know it's the end of this system when they go back on their words and court rulings.  

We just rejoiced over the decision made in South Korea, now this.   Satan goes from one place to another.  I noticed patriotism highlighted in bold. That is a powerful emotion that stirs people to do all sorts of things.  Our brothers could be in for a hard time.

16 hours ago, cricket246 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/28/europe/france-national-service-trnd/index.html

It says the first phase will be they live together to learn diversity then for 3 months I think it was they do compulsory service like army, etc.

I wonder what the JW's in France will do...that's a sneaky way for Satan to try to destroy families... 😢

14 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Looks like our young brothers in France will be going through persecution and prison.  We know it's the end of this system when they go back on their words and court rulings.  

12 hours ago, carlos said:

I guess there'll be a provision for conscientious objectors as in most civilized countries. :)

Since non military options are being offered, I do not see any grounds for a Witness to contentiously object to.  We are able to perform civil service. 

We must obey Cesar when there is no scriptural objection. 

Perhaps I'm missing something? 

The program will be done in two parts. The first part lasts for about a month and requires participants to live together as they "develop a culture of commitment to strengthen their place and role in society."

For the second part, the young people will be encouraged to a voluntarily commitment of at least three months. During this time their activities could be related to defense and security in the army, police, gendarmerie, fire service, or civil security; accompanying and helping others; helping preserve national heritage or the environment; or tutoring.

Environmental or tutoring might be okay depending on what alls involved. it was the first part that bothered me...If I was a 16 year old female JW I would not want to have to live with worldly teens. O.O I would feel like I was in prison or something.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

15 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

was the first part that bothered me...If I was a 16 year old female JW I would not want to have to live with worldly teens. O.O I would feel like I was in prison or something.

As a parent, I do all I can to keep my children separate from the world. Forcing them away from me and dropping them into sea of worldly teenagers, would be a very big problem for me.

Kids are horrible these days. Even younger ones. By the time they get to be teens, the thoughts, attitudes and behavior of some could be quite shocking. 

France should know better than to try that. After the last Pasting Jehovah gave them? They are as stubborn as Pharaoh. They will be blown away like chaff in the wind.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

In a way we are already under compulsory service in one form or another. We are by necessity associating with classmates , coworkers, or family that are not in the truth and may be have some bad habits we wish to resist. The brothers in Korea may have something more to say on this but mere compulsory service for a month or even a year will not break our young ones if they have truly chosen Jehovah. In fact , it is possible that Jehovah will use their time under compulsory service to teach others forced to work with them about His abundant peace even under duress! 

On 6/29/2018 at 10:30 AM, cricket246 said:

Environmental or tutoring might be okay depending on what alls involved. it was the first part that bothered me...If I was a 16 year old female JW I would not want to have to live with worldly teens. O.O I would feel like I was in prison or something.

I understand the objection 

Since there is no scriptural command prohibiting the living together part, we cannot claim religious exemptions on this point. 

I'm sure many worldly people will feel the same as we do about this.  Will be interesting to see this develop.  It may not happen 

Edited by Shawnster

They are bringing back something they had less than 20 years ago. I don't remember reading about this being a big issue for witnesses then. I remember North Korea, but not France. I'll have to do a little yearbook diving.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....