JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1236 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

27 minutes ago, trottigy said:

It must be pretty smokey there. Hang in there   :bouncing:

Actually it's pretty clear today. A slight delta breeze has moved the smoke away from us.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The west coast is ablaze and the east coast is drowning.  I've noticed the price of foods produced here has gone up.  Not just because of the trade war, but in the backyard of the King of the South.  My prayers are with all you throughout the entire State of California and other parts north and south, west, and middle.  Your having a drought and we're having a flood.  Europe is melting, and they too in some areas are having mudslides with lots and lots of rainfall.  China, and most of Asia is under a heat advisory.  Temps in China and S. Korea reported around 110 to 120, and you know those common people out there have no air conditioners not even some homes in Europe, I even heard Sweden is boiling.  For a certainty, the climate has changed! 

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Actually it's pretty clear today. A slight delta breeze has moved the smoke away from us.

Guess where it went (cough)?  (just kidding,  it's actually not too bad right now)Airnow.gov says the rating here is 164...'unhealthy'..

I called and cancelled our service plans for tomorrow, I will check in the morning and see how it is but Denise is staying home, Dr. orders. ..

Edited by tekmantwo

Added info...

My wife and I smelled the smoke for 3 states along hwy 80 as we made our way home after she got out of hospital in Vacaville ( 40 miles west of Sacramento ).

Her sister offered us to return, so wife could recover, to their place in southern California - taking the 5 south. We decided to head east and home instead.

I noticed a circle on Fairfield. Went to Sunset cong while wife was in hospital.

Edited by pnutts

added info.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

44 minutes ago, pnutts said:

My wife and I smelled the smoke for 3 states along hwy 80 as we made our way home after she got out of hospital in Vacaville ( 40 miles west of Sacramento ).

Her sister offered us to return, so wife could recover, to their place in southern California - taking the 5 south. We decided to head east and home instead.

I noticed a circle on Fairfield. Went to Sunset cong while wife was in hospital.

I wish I knew that. I would love to have met you. We are in same KH as Sunset.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It was getting hard to breathe here in Vegas as the smoke and soot was accumulating, but then we had some massive thunderstorms last night - all clear (for now)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I just spent a week in Redding. It was awful, for a couple of reasons. The air quality, of course, but, in a week, I don’t think I saw more then a dozen people wearing masks. To keep that garbage from burned homes from their lungs. It gave me pneumonia, years ago, and I still suffer. I have a racking cough that is deep, and hurts, year around. If I cough in the doctors office, I get I immediate attention. I don’t think they can go beyond diagnosing me with asthma. I used an inhaler in Redding, believe me you...and that mask! I got mine in an hard ware store for industrial use. 

l think they should have had PSA’s on television. (Nope) or, days when it was really bad, a vehicle going around in neighborhoods, telling ones to stay inside, or wear masks if you go outside. 

Those folks have not lived through fires like this community has. I keep that mask in my car with the fact clean air depends on which way the wind is blowing here. 

And, fires that burn homes are so much worse then forest fires. The chemicals. When I left, the two sisters that I visited were using masks. Usually my friend and I go to the Mosquito Serenade, (live music on the Sacramento River, fun, fun, fun!) any way when I asked my friend if she minded that I was going to keep that mask on, she realized it would not be entirely smart to dance outside, and dance. 

We had two days of movies and popcorn. Two special days. 

But, it made me sick to see babies, pregnant woman, and older ones no masks. 

There were two ladies behind me in a line behind me. I started in on my mask routine. The mom told me her daughter had asthma, and she was trying to get her to be careful. (She had no mask herself) I told her about the young lady I knew who came over to our area, during a fire, went home and died. Yep, it is serious. Very serious. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

A local hardware store ran out of the N95 masks last October during the Santa Rosa fires. They were getting truckloads of them..

It might be good to print this document and keep it in your ToGo bag with a supply of N95 masks.

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2805.pdf

Edited by Tortuga

7 hours ago, trottigy said:

It was getting hard to breathe here in Vegas as the smoke and soot was accumulating, but then we had some massive thunderstorms last night - all clear (for now)

We have been getting smoke from the west coast fires here, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, too.  Makes a miserable haze and is obstructing meteor shower watching.  Perseids' peak was last night, but should be good tonight, if the haze isn't messing things up.  Up to one meteor per minute...with no smoke screen.  O per minute, otherwise.:(

Praying for our family at the source of all that smoke. :unsure:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

meteor shower watching.  Perseids' peak was last night, but should be good tonight, if the haze isn't messing things up.  Up to one meteor per minute.

Take a look at meteorshowers.org

https://www.meteorshowers.org

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

We have been getting smoke from the west coast fires here, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, too.  Makes a miserable haze and is obstructing meteor shower watching.  Perseids' peak was last night, but should be good tonight, if the haze isn't messing things up.  Up to one meteor per minute...with no smoke screen.  O per minute, otherwise.:(

Praying for our family at the source of all that smoke. :unsure:

Looks like the fires from Canada is going to help the meteor shower either. 

This is from our area’s weather service

B2D75B0B-DE50-4DDB-A06E-FC48164889F3.jpeg

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

• 2 weeks later...

the show “Tanked” came Coddingtown!! Mall The designers created a beautiful tank for us as a tribute to the October fires last year, and all the first responders that helped our community. We are so proud of the end result and finally having a fish tank back at Coddingtown! The episode will air in October on Animal Planet.

2 hours ago, bobby said:

the show “Tanked” came Coddingtown!! Mall The designers created a beautiful tank for us as a tribute to the October fires last year, and all the first responders that helped our community. We are so proud of the end result and finally having a fish tank back at Coddingtown! The episode will air in October on Animal Planet.

That is so cool!

We went to their store in Las Vegas last year and saw where Tanked was filmed but no one was there that day 

• 2 weeks later...

Several new fires have started recently. There is one close to Redding that has forced some evacuations. 

https://www.redding.com/story/news/local/2018/09/05/fire-lakehead-shuts-down-traffic-interstate-5/1206417002/

• 1 month later...

The local power company has been blamed for several of the California fires and has decided to proactively shut off power to some areas of the state during high wind conditions...

SAN FRANCISCO.— Due to expected extreme fire danger conditions including, the Red Flag Warning from the National Weather Service and several other weather factors, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) today announced it may be proactively turning power off for safety and conducting a Public Safety Power Shutoff in several northern California cities within the next 24 hours.

UPDATE: According to a company spokesperson, safety power shut offs in portions of several Northern California communities are expected as early as 5 p.m. Sunday and continuing throughout the evening, affecting a total of about 70,000 customers in Sierra Foothills communities in extreme fire risk areas.
Officials stated the power shutoffs mark the first of two phases. Later tonight, as the weather continues to progress, PG&E plans to shut off power to communities in the North Bay affecting about 17,000 customers.

• 4 weeks later...

The town of Paradise (pop 27,000) is being evacuated due to a large fire. Strong north winds have blown the smoke over 150 miles to our area. Looks like dense fog outside...

There's a joke in there about Paradise being evacuated again but I dont think anyone would think its funny...

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Evacuations-ordered-as-Northern-California-wildfire-grows-500062741.html

Edited by Tortuga

The fire started this morning and spread quickly,  thousands of people were told to evacuate within minutes. This is another good reminder to be prepared..

I found out today that my cousin, who is in the truth, lost her home in the fire. She was renting from a brother... so at least 2 of our brothers and sisters lost their home 😞 She had an elder and his wife living with her. They are all safe at a relatives home.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I just saw some videos on twitter of people taking videos driving through the paradise fires... i can’t even IMAGINE driving through those conditions! Praying for all the people involved in this fire! It truly reminded me of great tribulation or something... so incredibly scary. Made me cry 😢  @Tortuga are you safe from these fires? 

2 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

I just saw some videos on twitter of people taking videos driving through the paradise fires... i can’t even IMAGINE driving through those conditions! Praying for all the people involved in this fire! It truly reminded me of great tribulation or something... so incredibly scary. Made me cry 😢  @Tortuga are you safe from these fires? 

I'm 150 miles away, but the smoke is covering the whole bay area...