JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1263 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just reading about this horrible situation.  It's being described as Armageddon, and it's easy to see why.  These natural disasters are hitting thick and fast.  Can't even contemplate the sadness and turmoil they've been through.  Hoping and praying for our brothers and sisters there.

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Camp Fire:

9 dead. Many of them trapped in their vehicles.  Almost 7000 structures destroyed. 

I too think there are many dead ... my Biological fathers, brothers, wife ( I still keep in touch with) her home was in Thousand Oaks and it burned down... just found out this afternoon. Can’t imagine how she must be feeling. I have seen some of the videos and it does remind me of great tribulation... I can’t imagine how much worse things can get 😩

3 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

I too think there are many dead ... my Biological fathers, brothers, wife ( I still keep in touch with) her home was in Thousand Oaks and it burned down... just found out this afternoon. Can’t imagine how she must be feeling. I have seen some of the videos and it does remind me of great tribulation... I can’t imagine how much worse things can get 😩

So sorry to hear that. Agoura is on fire, Thousand Oaks is on fire. Malibu is on fire. Its bad... 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Last month the local utility company (PG&E) had proactively shut off power to rural sections of 8 counties during high wind events to reduce the possibility of fires from downed lines. They had announced early this week the possibility of proactively shutting off power on Thursday because high winds were predicted. They later announced the decision was postponed because the forecasted high winds were delayed.

PG&E recently filed that they had a problem with a 115KV transmission line shortly before the fire reported. They are currently investigating whether or not the high winds caused a power line to fail and caused the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise and if that would have been prevented if PG&E had shut off the power as they had originally scheduled.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/334-353.pdf

Here is some useful information about masks..

50 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Here is some useful information about masks..

Thank you Richard for the link..Hopefully, your home is out of danger? Is there any news yet if the KH in Paradise escaped major damage? I saw an interview of the mayor who said there were some structures left..

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Am so sorry to see such a catastrophic damage, people dying in cars caught by the flames.  And the loss of our own living in the areas on fire.  This saddens me deeply.  I don't know if the fire has hit Granada Hills or the San Fernando Valley yet.  I have a relative out there and have not heard from him or his family in months.   My god, the end can't be that far off.  So many trials for Jehovah's people and those who are not.  Sad all the way around.   

Seriously what’s going on! It seems all these ‘natural disasters’ are happening, not one AFTER another, but one ON TOP of another lately! You hardly have time to process one tragedy when another one happens! So very sad indeed..... we need the kingdom now 😔

Yeah, I don't think I'd call the Camp Fire a natural disaster, its definitely man made, it just wasn't on purpose. 

25 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Yeah, I don't think I'd call the Camp Fire a natural disaster, its definitely man made, it just wasn't on purpose. 

I think humans always make it worse.  I remembered the ones fleeing the fires outside of Athens, who were metres from the safety of the beaches but couldn't reach it because the roads were blocked off and made dead-ends by the council because tourists were using these as thoroughfares to the beach.  So, in an emergency, you are stuck.

"The state's most destructive fire in at least a century has burned down more than 6,700 buildings, almost all of them homes."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-11/california-fires-death-toll-rises/10485758

The usual from Trump: 

President Donald Trump issued an emergency declaration providing federal funding to help firefighters battling the fires.

But he also took to Twitter to criticise forest management in the state as "poor", threatening to revoke federal funding for California forest management unless action was taken to prevent future fires.

33 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The usual from Trump: 

President Donald Trump issued an emergency declaration providing federal funding to help firefighters battling the fires.

But he also took to Twitter to criticise forest management in the state as "poor", threatening to revoke federal funding for California forest management unless action was taken to prevent future fires.

It's said that if you can't say something nice about a person, don't say anything at all...

I'd like to observe a moment of silence...

9 hours ago, Musky said:

I Just heard that a family friend, a brother who was once my sister's son in law, was killed in the Malibu fire last night while trying to get his mother out. They both died.

His mom's house is on Trances Canyon. The highway was blocked with thousands trying to get out. The fire caught them in Decker canyon near Encinal where the roads meet.

I'll post more details if I get any.

The news is reporting only two deaths in the Woolsy Fire so far..

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

On a new's channel (San Fernando Valley News) said it was the fault of PG&E.  Their wires were bad and when the wind hit, the lines burst and flames started.  So yes, it's human errors.   And your right it was not purposely set on fire.   Are you in a shelter, you and your family? Staying with any brothers and their families?  Please find comfort in Jehovah, you have us, we're here for you our brother!  

13 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

On a new's channel (San Fernando Valley News) said it was the fault of PG&E.  Their wires were bad and when the wind hit, the lines burst and flames started.  So yes, it's human errors.   And your right it was not purposely set on fire.   Are you in a shelter, you and your family? Staying with any brothers and their families?  Please find comfort in Jehovah, you have us, we're here for you our brother!  

Thank you for your concern but I think I had mentioned earlier that I am about 150 miles away from the fire, however the strong winds that are moving the fire are blowing the smoke into our area. The entire area is filled with smoke.

According to the news the PGE powerline is likely the cause but the investigation is not complete yet. There aren't any reports that the wires were 'bad' but it does appear they may have failed during a high wind event. 

Edited by Tortuga

This is partly natural disaster.. with no rain and serious drought for 6 or 7 years some of its caused by nature.. but yes man always makes things worse! Just talking to elder at my hall today about this... so many lives lost in the Camp fire from paradise area .. just terrible news and it’s not even over! It looks like an atomic bomb went off.. this world is so out of control. 

17 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

This is partly natural disaster.. with no rain and serious drought for 6 or 7 years some of its caused by nature..

Yes, which makes Trumps comments about poor forest management even more absurd. Don't forget it was mid-term elections and there was more hot air than normal....

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

poor forest management

Ahhh, it's always someone's fault.  We have smoke that chokes us because of the forest management being undertaken now before the summer hits.  How can you ever really manage a forest anyway?  (Trump comments = pray and think neutral thoughts)

Juan Brown does an excellent job of covering the Camp Fire:

Day Two (explains why fire spread so fast)

Day Three (explains cause of the fire)

Juan Brown is an airline pilot/reporter who lives in the vicinity.  I subscribe to his YT channel, Blancolirio, because of his excellent coverage of the Orroville Dam disaster.  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Thanks for those videos, I must say “Camp fire” did confuse me for a while.

Why do power lines fall in high winds? Do they oscillate?

When is rain expected/hoped for?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13