JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1270 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This photo sort a' sums up the futility of trying to 'fight' these types of wildfire: :unsure:

Futility.gif.3d474f5e808da222260a96881b88fb83.gif

Wind-driven, steep terrain, no access, too much smoke for the air tankers to fly VFR (visual flight rules)...:(

Another 70% and the Camp Fire will be contained.

I can't imagine one of those 747's descending to just a 150 feet above the fire to drop their loads. :wacko:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Day six report on California's most destructive and most deadly fire, the Camp Fire:

Wow Ross! You find the most interesting videos! Thank you very much..my husband enjoyed this too..👴

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

In the 1983 our area near Melbourne was burnt out. While pictures are impressive, to live through it and see the devastation in 3D 360° vision, is unforgettable. 75 died, over 2,600 injured.
We evacuated, but our house survived. The sister where we had our book study lost her home. It came with such vengeance and speed, she was unable to prepare. All her worldy possessions were reduced to 3 items: her night gown, dressing gown and a wet towel she had on her head.
I fear many of the friends in California will have similar stories to recount. It brings tears to my eyes and a pain in my heart just thinking about this and what our friends are going through right now.

I hope all that is lost are material possessions.

Older {waiting for wiser}

Back in the late 1970's we had a family move into the congregation. They had moved from Michigan to Kentucky to serve where the need was greater. 

They experienced a flash flood. Almost no warning and they barely escaped with only one of their vehicles. They had to choose vehicles - and chose his work van so he would have his tools. They lost everything! When they moved here, all they had was his work van and the clothes they were wearing.

Having been close friends with that couple, I really feel for those who are losing all they have in the various disasters that have occured recently

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Update:

56 deaths 

130 missing 

138,000 acres

35% contained

52,000 evacuees 

8650 homes destroyed. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

In the 1983 our area near Melbourne was burnt out. While pictures are impressive, to live through it and see the devastation in 3D 360° vision, is unforgettable. 75 died, over 2,600 injured.
We evacuated, but our house survived. The sister where we had our book study lost her home. It came with such vengeance and speed, she was unable to prepare. All her worldy possessions were reduced to 3 items: her night gown, dressing gown and a wet towel she had on her head.

I read The Thorn Birds . Author, Colleen McCullough, did an impressive job of describing those perennial fires Down Under. Scary just to read about them. Hard to imagine going through them.

Back during the "Firestorm of 1998" when a vast area of Florida was on fire we managed to not have to evacuate - but, the fires came within 5 miles of our house

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

BTW, Paradise is only about 30 miles from the Oroville Dam where the spillway failed last year. The dam is on the south side of the lake and the fire is now close to the north side.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

http://kcra.com/article/camp-fire-death-toll-climbs-to-63/25143752?src=app

Death toll is now at 63 and hundreds more are still missing. 

2 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Thanks Richard. Excellent coverage.😔

That's my favorite local news station. They have a morning anchor named Teo Torres that served me a glass of wine at the Lodi ZinFest last year..:thumbsup:

Camp Fire death toll rises to 63

The death toll from the Camp Fire in Northern California has grown to 63 people and a list of people unaccounted for has 631 names on it, Butte County Sheriff and Coroner Kory Honea said Thursday evening.

This is how far Tim and I are from the Mendocino Complex fire..

1262011494_CalifFires2018.JPG.b18d17fcdea50cb2fe2703e5195ba982.JPG

I'm glad you guys were out of the path! My daughter lives in Fairfield also! Not that it's any consolation, but the map helps me to see that the fires were further north of Fairfield.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

2 hours ago, walkr2 said:

I'm glad you guys were out of the path! My daughter lives in Fairfield also! Not that it's any consolation, but the map helps me to see that the fires were further north of Fairfield

I think that the smoke issues are far worse in Fairfield  than they are here in Colfax. 

We had mostly blue skies here today, with just a hint of smoke smell. Because of the lay of the land and the current inversion layer the smoke is staying low and is funneling out to sea by way of the bay...

We had a bad Tuesday and Wednesday,  Thursday was better and today,  like I said, wasn't bad. For me anyways.  Denise is still trying to spend most of her time in her craft room or our bedroom,  both of those rooms are well sealed and I didn't cheap out when I bought air purifiers..

Truly I tell you, today, I would rather not be in Paradise...