JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1236 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

California is on fire again. Our cars were covered in ash yesterday from the Pawnee fire north of us.

It's going to be another bad fire season...

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/california-fire-map-near-me-june-30/

So sorry for you and our California brotherhood! Please keep safe!☺️

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

On 7/1/2018 at 3:15 PM, Tortuga said:

California is on fire again. Our cars were covered in ash yesterday from the Pawnee fire north of us.

It's going to be another bad fire season...

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/california-fire-map-near-me-june-30/

Seems to be relentless!......so sorry for you & all in the path of this fire. Keep safe 😔

The "County" fire is over 70,000 acres, that's the size of the city of Sacramento. It's only 5% contained. It's all wildland area and no structures involved yet.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

The "County" fire is over 70,000 acres, that's the size of the city of Sacramento. It's only 5% contained. It's all wildland area and no structures involved yet.

We have a wedding to go to in Napa this weekend. Got a room reserved for 2 days, we were figuring on seeing some sights out that way....I hope that it isn't too smokey, Denise can't deal with that very well. ..

I just saw a news report that said there should be a wind shift, the Delta breeze is kicking in...

Edited by tekmantwo

• 3 weeks later...

Carr fire in Redding about 2 hours from us...

Already, two people have died in the Carr Fire, one a private bulldozer operator killed Thursday, the other a Redding city firefighter working in a canyon area in Redding’s northwest area, where much of the devastation occurred Thursday night.

The fire already has destroyed dozens of homes, forced evacuation orders for more than 38,000 residents and is threatening nearly 5,000 homes. Fire officials say its erratic, unpredictable nature is a sign of how much peril tinder-dry California faces from wildfires.

...estimates at least 100 homes were destroyed overnight Thursday as the flames jumped the Sacramento River and raced into the outskirts of Redding.

More than 37,000 residents have been evacuated.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 7/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, pnutts said:

Yup. There was a fire west of where we are staying near Hemet/Homeland. Looked like Menifee not too far south of the highway ( 74 ). Supposed to get Hot by Thursday/Friday. 110 range.

There is another fire in that area, the Cranston fire..

Redding. They are saying that evacuation is what they are concentrating on. The fire is out of control. Creating its own weather systems. Pray for all, not just in Redding, but all over. 

A grandmother and two grandkids are missing. Two involved in fighting the fire have  died. 

We can’t keep track of the weather catastrophes going on. I pay attention, but too much thought would drive me to distraction. 

And, I thank Jehovah for when the sky is blue. No smoke, and for the gift Ihave been given. Life. And, prayers for the kingdom! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Many of our brothers are affected by the Carr Fire. Many here know the Benbrook family. Just got word that Bob and Judy have been evacuated as a precaution. Daniel Benbrook's house is in a manditory evacuation area. Kay house is safe. Tim and Jacky's home is just outside the current manditory evacuation zone. Kingdom Halls are currently in safe zones. Things could change in a minute. I was amazed that the fire jumped the Sacramento  River, not that there is much water in it, but in most areas there are wide gravel bars. The willow brush must have carried the fire to the other side.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

And, so far, it’s hard to find out if you House is remaining. The flying cinders are a big factor. That’s why you see trees, and some houses standing.  Horrible.

Tim and Jacky Benbrook just got a manditory evacuation notice. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

As I was watching the news I was wondering if lawn sprinklers on the roof of a house would be helpful, then at the end of the news segment it showed a home with a lawn sprinkler on the roof. It looks like a good idea. I think I might install some rain-bird type sprinklers on the corners of the roof just in case one day there is a fire close enough that we have to evacuate, maybe it will save the house...

Edited by Tortuga

one of the sad things about some of these fires is that they are the result of arson :nope:

it is always interesting that the news is filled with pictures of burning wood, houses, businesses and the like. They also have interviews with people who have been impacted. Tehn, later, once the fires are out - you may never hear if they caught the one who set the fire - and, even if they do report it, you never seem to find out what the outcome for the arsonist was ... you know, did they get a ticket? Are they in jail? 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I don’t know if Fox News is a reliable source but 5 fires caused by arson?    😡😡😡

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/26/arson-wildfire-forces-entire-california-town-to-evacuate.html

Authorities in Southern California say they have arrested a 32-year-old man on arson charges in connection with five fires -- including one blaze that is threatening about 600 homes in the San Jacinto Mountains east of Los Angeles.

The suspect, identified as Brandon McGlover, of Temecula, set the fires Wednesday in southwest Riverside County, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The largest of the five fires was the so-called Cranston Fire, which quickly turned into a wall of flame that torched timber and dry brush. In a matter of hours, the fire grew to 7.5 square miles.

Theres more to the article. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 minutes ago, Qapla said:

one of the sad things about some of these fires is that they are the result of arson :nope:

it is always interesting that the news is filled with pictures of burning wood, houses, businesses and the like. They also have interviews with people who have been impacted. Tehn, later, once the fires are out - you may never hear if they caught the one who set the fire - and, even if they do report it, you never seem to find out what the outcome for the arsonist was ... you know, did they get a ticket? Are they in jail? 

They caught the guy that set the Cranston fire in Temecula/Hemet area...

Nevermind. Loopy beat me to it...

Edited by Tortuga

I think the Carr fire was the result of a trailer being towed. It got a flat tire, then, the rim set fires. 

One time a guy in Idaho had this happen, and, they asked, “Didn’t anyone try to get your attention?” He said something like I have 300,000 RV miles under my belt. I don’t pull over”. My sympathy for him left, immediately. 

He started all kinds of fires as he ambled down the road. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

There was an Amtrak BNSF rail that went through part of the refinery I use to work at, we regularly had grass fires from trains throwing sparks..

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

As I was watching the news I was wondering if lawn sprinklers on the roof of a house would be helpful, then at the end of the news segment it showed a home with a lawn sprinkler on the roof. It looks like a good idea. I think I might install some rain-bird type sprinklers on the corners of the roof just in case one day there is a fire close enough that we have to evacuate, maybe it will save the house...

Would there be sufficient pressure if firefighters were fighting nearby? 

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

This is really sad.  Australia is like California - tinder dry in the summer and those fires are very hard to contain once they get in the bush.  Apart from the changes in weather patterns, it is also a factor that humans don't learn and manage their environment better - clearing around housing, back-burning of bush, better building codes of where to build and not to build, etc.  But then there is arson and lightning/sparks.  What can you do?

3 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

He started all kinds of fires as he ambled down the road

We had a similar event here,  a few years back. 

I don't recall why we were on the road but apparently we weren't very far behind the guy throwing sparks.

I spotted a small smoke plume just next to the road and pulled over.  It had tripled in size in the seconds it took for me to get to it, I told Denise to back the car up to a wider section of the Freeway so it wouldn't get hit and then jumped into the middle of the flames to kick them out.

It was burning in fairly light dry grass so the flames were only about a foot high but it was way too close to some seriously brushy sections and moving fast. I managed to get it kicked out without any problems and was walking back to the car when a Sheriff pulled up. I told him that this section was ok and he didn't need to stop, he said about a dozen reports had already been called in.

There was another guy a couple hundred yards away that had killed another little spot, we waved at each other and resumed driving..

As we were heading home we could see places that were burning and it got pretty bad, I think it took about 3 days for them to get it put out.

I just checked Denise Instagram,  it was Oct 8, 2014.