JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1270 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yeah, I don't think I'd call the Camp Fire a natural disaster, its definitely man made, it just wasn't on purpose. 

Yes I understand, that’s why I put natural disasters in commas, I realise it wasn’t started by a natural element, but the extreme wind is what funneling this fire, so I guess we can say ‘natural elements’ (wind)  is what’s causing this fire to become out of control.... 👍

12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yes, which makes Trumps comments about poor forest management even more absurd. Don't forget it was mid-term elections and there was more hot air than normal....

I have it as a fact, poor management of palm forests contributed to Woosely fire. Isn't obvious from the pictures?:whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Friends of ours in Malibu have told us that several brothers and sisters have lost their homes in the fire. As of this morning, the Kingdom Hall is still standing although all structures surrounding it have been reduced to ashes. The same thing happened when we were living there in the 90's and early 2000's. The fires seem to burn a circle around the KH. The fire marshal said once that it could be the good "ground cover" we have planted around it, but it was the same as what our neighbors used.

There is a Sister in our Congregation that has family that lived there, she said all the Brothers and Sisters are accounted for, only one of the Brothers has a son that is still missing,  I don't know if he is a Witness or not.

She also said that,  by looking at the map, she was pretty sure that the Hall is burnt down.

12 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

She also said that,  by looking at the map, she was pretty sure that the Hall is burnt down.

The KH is within the fire zone map. 

Last year we could see the Tubbs fire damage by satellite photos when Google maps updated their map for the area. I am checking Google maps for Paradise and I hope they get updated soon. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

PARADISE, Calif. — As wildfires raged at both ends of California, officials released another grim statistic: six more dead in a swath of Northern California wiped out by fire, raising the death toll there to 29. It matched California's record for deaths in a single fire and brought the statewide total to 31.
Another 228 remain unaccounted for as crews stepped up the search for bodies and missing people. Two people were killed in a wildfire in Southern California.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

Does anyone know best way to get donations to those brothers and sisters in California? Just donate to world wide work? 

Yes. Here is an older video that reminds us how we can help.

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/pub-jwbrd_201505_3_VIDEO

Though I’m not close to this fire, it hits close to home. The news on social media is horrendous. I’m so tired of poor pets that have been injured, and need to get to their owners. Then there is the owners posting pictures of their pets, wanting them back. This fire was so dangerous if you hesitated to get pets, it could have cost you your life. It is so incredibly sad. Almost beyond hurt. To numb. 

Friends in this area are taking what they can over there to help out. I have a good friend in Chico. We just can pray. For them, and the Kingdom. 

This reminds me of the time during the Vietnam war. With dinner, you were served up news of war and death. The news. 

I just got back from the assembly. I think if it weren’t for Jehovah...I’d lose my mind. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Though I’m not close to this fire, it hits close to home. The news on social media is horrendous. I’m so tired of poor pets that have been injured, and need to get to their owners. Then there is the owners posting pictures of their pets, wanting them back. This fire was so dangerous if you hesitated to get pets, it could have cost you your life. It is so incredibly sad. Almost beyond hurt. To numb. 

Friends in this area are taking what they can over there to help out. I have a good friend in Chico. We just can pray. For them, and the Kingdom. 

This reminds me of the time during the Vietnam war. With dinner, you were served up news of war and death. The news. 

I just got back from the assembly. I think if it weren’t for Jehovah...I’d lose my mind. 

You have company, even from long ago . .  "How long, O Jehovah, must we cry for help? Why are destruction and violence before us? And why do quarreling and conflict abound"?

On the Weather Channel this morning they did mention that rain may be the only thing that will actually stop these fires ... then, they followed that up with the dim prospect that, if the rains do come, it may cause debris slides that could cause more destruction and could even take lives

Sad, indeed!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

27 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

42 dead...:depressed:

They are still searching for missing people...

I feel for the poor first responders having to deal with the aftermath of this, 

Talk about PTSD. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, Loopy said:

Talk about PTSD. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

They have special teams of anthropologists and forensic experts searching for human remains..

Talk about PTSD.
Some of the first responders for the fires were first responders for the Thousand Oaks mass killing.

Let's just say I'm hoping the "Dutch" is wrong with his earthquake prediction.

COME LORD JESUS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We live in an area where, in the summertime, the threat of fire is a constant worry. Living on a mountainside...you know the direction fire goes. More then once those borate bombers have been so close overhead, that if we were outside, we could have seen the pilot. We have hepa filters that are just a part of our life in the summer. I cannot breathe any smoke.

And, we have had no fire insurance. A reservation thing. Fire hydrants are alien here-abouts. 

We found out if we get help from tribal housing, (applied for and got a, “Toyostove”. Kerosene heater.) Anyway, we proceeded to apply for fire insurance. Not an easy process. Then, off went the documentation. Um, sorry they said, there is a moratorium on issuing policies in California. Okay. We waited. They got back to us. It was a go. We were going to fax the signed policy last Thursday. Then, we decided to go ahead and take care of it on Friday, when we were in town. 

Then, those horrible fires happened. That fire started on Thursday, at 6:30 am. 

We were afraid we were under moratorium again. When they took our money, we were grateful. 

But, we have plans on getting our pets out. It sickens me. I could say more about fires, but I will say, that is a fear that Jehovah’s Kingdom will remove from my heart, and, yes, I will be eternally grateful. At least until some memories are removed from my DNA. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

PARADISE, Calif. - The number of deaths from California's worst fire rose to 48 on Tuesday as authorities and family members mounted desperate searches for the hundreds still missing.
The Camp fire has scorched 130,000 acres since Thursday, ripping through mountain towns in Butte County. More than 8,800 structures - mostly homes in Paradise - were turned to rubble as the blaze charred the region.
The death toll from the fire jumped Monday when officials said they recovered the remains of 13 people as teams continued to search the burned-out rubble of thousands of lost homes. The remains of 10 people were located in Paradise, and three were found in the Concow area.