JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

To the Moon by 2024.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1792 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Recently an apparent NASA sponsored YouTube video claims that humanity will be returning to the moon PERMANENTLY by 2024. With a goal of building a permanent “ space gate” as a launch point to explore other planets and exploit lunar water as a fuel and oxygen source. It is portrayed with great optimism and high production values.    What might such an event imply and ..is it just me or does this optimism feel like A: propaganda B: the claim for an “ unsinkable ship ie TiTANIC?    Sorry I have no way to link to YouTube 

Edited by BenJepthah

17 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Is this the video?

That’s very similar but not the video I saw. The one I saw was longer and included details about a permanent space gate and water sourced from the moon . It was titled We are Going.

Edited by BenJepthah

To the moon by 2024?  5 years from now?  That's a joke.  

The United States currently has no means to get to the moon.  There isn't an operational command module.  There isn't an operational system of connecting this yet-to-be built command module to the current heavy lift rockets.  There are no lunar landers or moon rovers.  All the personnel that were active in NASA when the US went to the moon the last time are all either dead or long retired.  Any data they have from those previous mission from a design and manufacturing standpoint are outdated and obsolete.  No contracts have been awarded to any companies to build the supposed equipment necessary to return to the moon.

It won't happen by 2024.  That's just not practical to expect the US space program to go from 0 to moon shot in 5 years.  The original moon shot took 9 years to land man on the moon.  The Apollo program was started July 1960 and the man on the moon was July 1969.  The first unmanned launch for the Apollo program was 1966, 6 years after the program began.  

I'd love to see it happen, but it's just too unrealistic.  The United States currently doesn't have any method of getting humans into space.  

Edited by Shawnster

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

To the moon by 2024?  5 years from now?  That's a joke.  

The United States currently has no means to get to the moon.  There isn't an operational command module.  There isn't an operational system of connecting this yet-to-be built command module to the current heavy lift rockets.  There are no lunar landers or moon rovers.  All the personnel that were active in NASA when the US went to the moon the last time are all either dead or long retired.  Any data they have from those previous mission from a design and manufacturing standpoint are outdated and obsolete.  No contracts have been awarded to any companies to build the supposed equipment necessary to return to the moon.

It won't happen by 2024.  That's just not practical to expect the US space program to go from 0 to moon shot in 5 years.  The original moon shot took 9 years to land man on the moon.  The Apollo program was started July 1960 and the man on the moon was July 1969.  The first unmanned launch for the Apollo program was 1966, 6 years after the program began.  

I'd love to see it happen, but it's just too unrealistic.  The United States currently doesn't have any method of getting humans into space.  

It seems unlikely to me also. But of coarse NASA hasn’t been doing Nothing all these years and SpaceX has been working in the open. Probably quite a bit of top secret tech has been developed.

13 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

It seems unlikely to me also. But of coarse NASA hasn’t been doing Nothing all these years and SpaceX has been working in the open. Probably quite a bit of top secret tech has been developed.

As far as rockets there have been great advancement. As far as a new improve moon lander I have heard nothing. A moon lander is not a military secret and I believe if they had new improved models being designed or testing we would hear about it. They are human, they like to brag.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get to the Moon. They are sending people all the time to the ISS. You just need a more powerful rocket to get to the Moon. Private companies are talking of sending people to Mars. Compared to Mars, the Moon is just around the corner.

What I don't think we have by far is the technology to stay on the Moon. A walk or a few hours or a day or two, yes. But to stay there permanently, no way! The investment would have to be huge.

Edited by carlos

3 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

humanity will be returning to the moon PERMANENTLY by 2024. 

I'm over this planet and would like to move there!

Seriously interesting if they can pull it off. We love all things space over here. Looking forward the launch of the James Webb telescope.. which keeps getting postponed for some reason. 

Titusville has not dried up just yet ... 

"Lynda Weatherman, CEO of the Space Coast EDC said, "Now we have not only more launches, but manufacturing and assembly of launch vehicles, which wasn't done during the 50 years of the space economy in Florida."

Vehicle manufacturing, as well as satellite and missile production, has been carried out by a slew of companies, ranging from American defense giant Lockheed Martin to German aerospace firm RUAG, leading to a more diverse aerospace economy than in the past.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~