JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Virginia Beach Shooting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1902 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

An update on Sister Brown...

....To tell you the truth friends, the details I've received about this congregation matter (regarding her death) are too personal to post here in this very public forum,.

However, you indeed will be encouraged afterwards as this is first-hand information about the French congregation and "others" involved.

So here is my suggestion, if you are so agreeable.   Please send me a PM and I will send you the details if you are interested.

What you will read ties in with our convention's theme that  :heart: "Love Never Fails!" :heart:

6 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

An update on Sister Brown...

....To tell you the truth friends, the details I've received about this congregation matter (regarding her death) are too personal to post here in this very public forum,.

However, you indeed will be encouraged afterwards as this is first-hand information about the French congregation and "others" involved.

So here is my suggestion, if you are so agreeable.   Please send me a PM and I will send you the details if you are interested.

What you will read ties in with our convention's theme that  :heart: "Love Never Fails!" :heart:

Thanks Sandra for all the updates that you have given us, sure is a very sad time for us and especially for her congregation to having to deal with emotions regarding her death.

duplicate news...sorry...found it on jw.org

there is a previous post from cnn.com

Moderator: I merged the two topics, I apologize for not doing it very well.

Edited by Tortuga

I found out earlier this evening the following information:

The memorial service for Sister Brown will hold on 15 June 2019.  A large attendence is expected with city officials attending. Therefore, the service will be held at an auditorium of a local high school.

Sympathy cards and letters, as well as monetary gifts are now coming in for LaQuita's family.  (FYI, Laquita lived with her mother, also a JW.)  Brothers and sisters, I have her Virginia, USA address which will not be posted in this public forum. So, if you are interested in sending a note, a card, a letter, etc., to her mother, please send me a PM. (Sorry, I do not have an email address).

Thank you all for the love and concern you have shown during this tragedy.

#LOVENEVERFAILS#

• 2 weeks later...

I received yesterday first-hand details about Sister Brown's memorial service held this past Saturday; a somber yet dignified occasion that gave a witness to city and other government officials, onlookers and interested people who just wanted to come and give support.  Brother Ralph Walls of Bethel gave the memorial service discourse to 1,200 in attendance.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/virginia-beach-mass-shooting/article_4d44f100-8fbb-11e9-a53b-7fc33e5d3678.html

LaQuita Brown, one of the 12 victims of the mass shooting, remembered as devoted and determined

Jun 15, 2019

NORFOLK

The night before she died, LaQuita Brown stayed up working late.

Her uncle, Willie Tanksley, could hear her footsteps as she padded around her upstairs bedroom finalizing plans on a renovation project.

Only Brown's efforts had nothing to do with her job in Virginia Beach's public works department. 

She was scheduled to give a presentation on May 31 to several people overseeing a renovation for the Jehovah's Witnesses — a religion she had begun devoting her life to when she was 16.

But she never showed up.

Earlier that afternoon, a gunman stormed into her workplace at the city’s Municipal Center in Princess Anne, killing her and 11 others. Brown, who worked as a right-of-way technician handling legal and real estate issues, would have turned 40 this year.

Brown’s family and friends gathered Saturday at the Harrison Opera House in Norfolk to remember the woman known for her warmth and infectious laughter.

As more than 1,200 people filed inside, a photograph of Brown’s smiling face sat on a stage with a black backdrop surrounded by flowers. Among the crowd were city officials and Jehovah’s Witnesses from various parts of the country in town to help with the memorial.

Tanksley, with whom she’d lived in Chesapeake for more than 20 years, remembered his niece as someone full of energy and always trying to lift others. Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t celebrate birthdays, but growing up, that didn’t stop Brown from finding ways to make her friends and classmates feel special.

“She’d create another opportunity that wasn’t religious at all,” Tanksley said in an interview. “She would get cupcakes for the little kids. … She found a way to be involved with her classmates without compromising her faith.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses helped organize the memorial celebration Saturday, and Ralph Walls, a leader in the organization, spoke about Brown.

“LaQuita was a very determined person who would not give up until the work was completed,” Walls said. “How we long for the day when Quita will put her skills to use in God’s new world.”

Brown’s ministry took her to West Africa and Haiti. She learned French to better spread the message of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Carolyn Williams said she often worked with Brown in their ministry and they learned French together.

“LaQuita is the kind of person in the congregation that you can’t help but know because she gets to know everyone … individually,” she said.

Williams said that although she is older than Brown, she felt that Brown had taught her a lot.

“One of our friends put it this way: LaQuita was the kind of person who made everyone feel like you were her best friend,” Williams said. “She made you feel special. When she was with you, she was with you. You had her attention.”

Williams’ husband, Dereck Williams, said she applied the principles of the Bible to her daily life.

“Not only did LaQuita believe in the Bible, she lived it,” he said. “She was a very kind person. She was patient.”

The memorial ended with a joyful song, “He Will Call,” and then a prayer to God.

“We pray for the entire community here … who have experienced this tragedy,” Walls said. “We want to weep with those who weep and rejoice in the hope with those who rejoice.”

He will call...LaQuita will answer!

Edited by Omoyeme

7 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

A good name is better than good oil, and the day of death is better than the day of birth.--Eccl. 7:1.

https://www.pretlowandsons.com/obituary/laquita-brown

Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D