JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We may be alone in this universe of planets after all..

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1765 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

These scientists approach this from an evolution and mathematics standpoint.  Its all about probabilities and ignoring the Divine. 

Just skimming part of the article it seems the sticking point is finding only planets with toxic atmosphere. Earth would be like that without plant life. 

Another article related to this one:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-physicist-has-proposed-a-pretty-depressing-explanation-for-why-we-never-see-aliens

A Physicist Has Proposed a Pretty Depressing Explanation For Why We Never See Aliens

The Universe is so unimaginably big, and it's positively teeming with an almost infinite supply of potentially life-giving worlds. So where the heck is everybody?

At its heart, this is what's called the Fermi Paradox: the perplexing scientific anomaly that despite there being billions of stars in our Milky Way galaxy – let alone outside it – we've never encountered any signs of an advanced alien civilisation, and why not?

It's a decent question, and one that generations of scientists and thinkers have grappled with since the paradox was formulated decades ago.

So basically, it's not just the odds of self-replicating RNA occurring on a habitable planet (already a mathematical probability so low that in any other context scientists would just call it "impossible"), you would now need to look at only a third of those planets. Then, of course, the other reason they suggest we haven't discovered life on other planets is because those lifeforms have either a) already advanced beyond us and don't care about us (even scientists believe the universe would have to be much older for that to happen), or else b) some sort of Great Filter event has snuffed out those lifeforms and we're in a small group of civilizations that have survived and the problem is that the universe is too big for us to find each other.

Or the Earth is special, we are significant, and apparent evidence for design in nature is NOT just an illusion after all.

Which seems more likely, right?

I agree with the conclusion of the article I posted. We can't find anyone anywhere else because we are the first civilization on the Universe. I also think the Universe is just way to big for just US, the habitantes of the Earth.

Jehovah had the idea to fill the Universe, not just the Earth. Only the project was put on hold due to Adam and Eve and Satan... Doesn't mean it won't go further in the infinite years ahead of us

On 6/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, Shawnster said:

These scientists approach this from an evolution and mathematics standpoint.  Its all about probabilities and ignoring the Divine. 

They should use the same probabilities/maths when they consider Evolution/Darwinism...

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

I agree with the conclusion of the article I posted. We can't find anyone anywhere else because we are the first civilization on the Universe. I also think the Universe is just way to big for just US, the habitantes of the Earth.

Jehovah had the idea to fill the Universe, not just the Earth. Only the project was put on hold due to Adam and Eve and Satan... Doesn't mean it won't go further in the infinite years ahead of us

I find it amazing how we can sometimes think we know what Jehovah had in mind!  

Doesn't mean it won't go further in the infinite years ahead of us

Doesn't mean it will either.  Pure speculation.

The evidence appears to be that the universe was created so that human life could exist on this planet. The whole experience of the fine-tuning is not just the earth but the universe.

This is why scientists postulate alternative universes.

Keep in mid that time prevets us from havig any current kowledge of conditions on planets outside our solar system. Our view is light years in the past. Man has tried to send radio messages to far away solar systems saying "We are here, where are you?" That message that left our solar system 50 years ago has yet to arrive to 99.999999999% of the visible solar systems, let alone those far away. If man was to get an response it would be light years from now, the delay of uncounted light years to get man's message coupled with the same delay for the return message means if anybody gets the message and repies, it will be our privilege to hear that message light years into the new system. Don't hold your breath. :whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, bohemian said:

I find it amazing how we can sometimes think we know what Jehovah had in mind!  

Doesn't mean it won't go further in the infinite years ahead of us

Doesn't mean it will either.  Pure speculation.

The evidence appears to be that the universe was created so that human life could exist on this planet. The whole experience of the fine-tuning is not just the earth but the universe.

This is why scientists postulate alternative universes.

Is their something wrong with speculation? 

On 6/13/2019 at 12:37 PM, Shawnster said:

Intelligent/sapient/sentient/life in God's image is quite different than plants, animals, bacteria, and single celled organisms.  There may be all kinds of planets teeming with lower life forms.

Or lifeforms that aren't carbon based. In science we're always looking for life like ours. Why not life that's a completely different makeup?

Then.. like my Bible teacher and I debated. I said isn't it possible in the new system for Jehovah to make a new species. She asked why. I said, to show his creation. She said there's no point, we already have spiritual creations and flesh, what's left? I said, what of something all new, not spiritual or flesh, but something completely unique. She asked what else is out there..

Thats when I tried to explain how originality works in present time. How that the only reason we can't think of anything 'else' is because our brains only know how to 'create' by using what's around us i.e animal, plant, bug based aliens. But Jehovah has no limits, he can create and imagine entirely new.

She started goin on about how animal hybrids are against his laws, completely missing the point. So I used the paper example. Of if there was a world on paper of flatties that only knew left, right, forward, backward, that's all they'd know. Then a god brought in up and down, it'd be all new to them, a concept they couldn't imagine. Same thing with aliens.

...she still said no point. But yeah. There could be aliens created of things we can't even conceive?

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

4 hours ago, Nirex said:

.she still said no point. But yeah. There could be aliens created of things we can't even conceive?

The future is wide open.  All we can understand is that, currently, humans are the only sentient /sapient /sophont /intelligent creation in the physical universe.  

1 hour ago, bohemian said:

Only when it is presented as fact and not recognized as having no basis in fact. No Scriptural basis either.

I’m speculating that your speculating that they are speculating while presenting their speculations as facts. But I have no facts to back up my speculation. 🧐😉

15 hours ago, Nirex said:

Or lifeforms that aren't carbon based. In science we're always looking for life like ours. Why not life that's a completely different makeup?

It’s possible, but science isn’t looking, and why? Because they wouldn’t know what they’d be looking for. If you are going to find traces of any kind of life, it’s probably neat to start with conditions for life as you know it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

In regards to the toxic atmospheres, we really won't know until we get there.  Keep in mind these distant planets beyond our solar system are being observed only through telescopes. While spectral analysis is great, analysis based on light reflections us limited. 

We will have to get there to know for sure.