JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

11 hours ago, Shawnster said:

There was nothing to verify. The brother said he was merely speculating and sharing an opinion. IMHO means "in my humble opinion." 

I mean no harm....but despite the misunderstanding its nice you defend your spiritual brother.

giphy.gif

Edited by GraceH

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

Well I thought this day couldn't more distressing. From reading all the seeming legitimate news about this covid-19 and attending a work meeting about it about what ifs, the service overseer elder wants to come over in person to my home -after working at his job for 12 hours -a letter from the branch about if an outbreak happens locally. Since we will only have the sunday circuit assembly as scheduled for the week.

I will wait and see what's going on. Informing family

We had our meeting and went over some of the letter that wasn't read last few meeting ago, since things is getting a little worse in my immediate area. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

There is a possibility our Assembly is going to be cancelled (perhaps delayed?), still not sure. Brothers said we should know something by Sunday. 

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I just received a message from my Group Overseer that ALL meetings have been cancelled for the next two weeks.

Preaching is limited to phone witnessing and letter writing. Memorial invitations are to be given to family, friends and acquaintances.....no campaign for now.

We will be given instructions soon on how to watch the meetings via streaming.

Well, the first 2 cases in Michigan hav3 been confirmed. Both down state...Lower Michigan.

https://www.upmatters.com/local-news-2/1st-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-michigan/?fbclid=IwAR2Xu2bxaoa3ysQLzBH8wXaaQa6KuUYog-_QhTimtn0TlmvxPZxt9J8SVuI

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – The first cases of COVID-19, coronavirus disease 2019, have been confirmed in Michigan, according to the Michigan State Police.

They say Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is scheduled to speak around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday to provide an update on the situation and how the state plans to handle it.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Theoretical question:

In a normal house with a ground floor and an upper floor 2.5m higher. Upstairs is about 3°C warmer than downstairs, as the heat from the radiators naturally rises.

Someone sneezes at the bottom of the stairs!

Will the tiny droplets go up with the warm air, or gradually fall to the floor?

(Assuming no other movement of air. And the person is maybe 2 yards/meters from a radiator.)

This is the sort of thing I think about at bedtime. 🙄

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I’ve thought it through a bit more.

The scenario is so unlikely that I am more likely to drop dead of stress worrying about it and be no good to anyone.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Yes further confirmation the Coronavirus has reached lower Michigan.  These cases are in counties next door to the county I live in.  🥺
https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/first-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-michigan-one-each-in-oakland-and-wayne-counties

Edited by booboo

We are finally having our meeting today after 1 week of closure.  However, the friends that are sick or comprising underlying health will not be attending.

This Coronavirus has disrupted much of life but, also caused much panic and hysteria among the public.  You can't even find toilet paper here.  Amazing what people will do.  It is people's nature to control what they can when they feel out of control even if it means hogging up toilet paper.

The more drastic steps, like school closures and major event cancellations, would only be implemented when and if coronavirus reaches “sustained community spread" throughout Western Australia. 

That's when people start contracting the virus from sources unknown
This is expected to start in April, and peak by August. (So Memorial would be affected). 
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-11/wa-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-plan-explained/12045932?pfmredir=sm

Edited by hatcheckgirl

5 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

Do you think you can get Covid19 from the mail?

It stays on surfaces that’s why I wondered. I get packages from China sometimes. 

The new coronavirus lives on surfaces for 'hours to a day,' one expert says. Here's how to disinfect them properly.   https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-can-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces-how-to-disinfect-2020-3

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I found this

“The CBSA is aware that China Post has been disinfecting all outbound mail going through its Wuhan processing centre since Jan. 23, 2020 and all outbound mail as of Feb. 12,” agency spokesman Judith Gadbois-St-Cyr said in a statement to The Toronto Sun.

So China is disinfecting Mail in some places but probably not the contents of the packages.

23 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

Do you think you can get Covid19 from the mail?

It stays on surfaces that’s why I wondered. I get packages from China sometimes. 

I would encourage you to simple Google search for how long possibly Covid-19 or other bad things stay on surfaces. 

From seeming legitimate news sources germs/ viruses can be on packages (untreated) for 2 hours to nine days. I posted my link earlier and the link where the bus image states similar. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

9 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

So China is disinfecting Mail in some places but probably not the contents of the packages.

Nancy, as Lucy explained the virus only survives for some hours on objects. Receiving a parcel from China requires typically a couple weeks, so it should be perfectly safe.