JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

In every major disaster, especially those which cause people to stay at home for prolonged periods , there is an increased birth rate.

The Spanish flu brought about the the ww2 generation. Another disaster ( the war) brought the Baby Boomers. 911 had a baby bump. Not the millennials but many of generation z.  This pandemic will likely bring about a notable increase in Births :

Prepare for the CORONIALS! 

Here is a very encouraging Daily Text that was back on FEB 14, only about 4 weeks ago before the Corona-virus was considered pandemic. This spiritual food was needed then and how much more so now! 

*** Text for Friday, February 14, 2020 ***

I have calmed and quieted my soul.—Ps. 131:2.
When our life takes an unexpected turn, the changes that we have to face may cause us apprehension and emotional stress. (Prov. 12:25) We may even find it hard to accept those changes. In such circumstances, how can we ‘calm and quiet’ our soul? (Ps. 131:1-3)

Despite adverse circumstances, we today can experience firsthand the soothing effect of “the peace of God” that guards our mental powers. (Phil. 4:6, 7) Thus, if we turn to Jehovah when we feel overwhelmed by anxiety, God’s peace can strengthen our determination to reach spiritual goals and guard us against any tendency to give up. In addition to calming us down, God’s spirit can draw our attention to key scriptures that will help us to keep our spiritual priorities.—John 14:26, 27. w18.10 27 ¶2; 28 ¶5, 8

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Just received a message from my Group Overseer that Memorial invitations ARE NOT to be distributed via letter writing.....just to friends, family and acquaintances...

He also said that we will receive news Sunday night about what our options are regarding observing the Memorial in small groups.

stay tuned.

In Kentucky, they just cancelled all of our meetings, field service and cart witnessing until further notice. :( Memorial invitation is for relatives, friends, and return visits only - no public Memorial campaign this year. :( 

I guess perhaps some who wouldn't attend a Kingdom Hall might come to a person's home to watch the Memorial if it's with their relatives? If it's safe, healthwise of course.

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

6 minutes ago, zoebarry said:

Just received a message from my Group Overseer that Memorial invitations ARE NOT to be distributed via letter writing

Ok. This is a little bit different from what I was told by my group overseer. It is what it is.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Ok. This is a little bit different from what I was told by my group overseer. It is what it is.

It probably depends where you are. We’re not distributing invitations through letter writing either. The governor has reduced occupancy rates in half so if we’re able to have a memorial we’ll only have enough room for our congregation and maybe a few extras.

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

1 minute ago, UpstateKate said:

It probably depends where you are. We’re not distributing invitations through letter writing either.

Agreed, it is what it is. I'll find out if there is more information or what he told me over the phone tomorrow.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

4 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

She must have had to train that cat for hours

because my cat would have scratched that mask off in a nanosecond...or less. :D 

And then lick its feet to clean its face. Wait a minute!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Sorry but the only poem I have is this:

She stood on the bridge at midnight,

Her lips were all a quiver,

She gave a cough,

Her leg fell off,

and floated down the river.

I had a little bird, it's name was Enza
I opened up the window and in flew Enza.

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

That is because these instructions are being given at the local congregation level, not the circuit level, not the Branch level.  Your elders have the authority to decide for your congregation.  Each of our elder bodies is responsible for our own congregation.

I can sure understand the elder body discretion in unique matters like this. Plus how information is being constantly changing, what I was told may change by morning.

I just sneezed and coughed at this post. Allergies though.

Edited by AH173

additional thought

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/americas/coronavirus-us-italy-south-korea-lessons-intl/index.html

"It's beginning to look a lot like Italy "

Italy's struggle with the biggest and deadliest coronavirus outbreak outside of China serves as a warning to the rest of the world that we, too, could be faced with a brutal uphill battle.

"The US government has some quick and uncomfortable choices to make that could shape the health of the country in weeks from now. Many of these choices drive at the heart of what it means to be American."

"Individual freedoms that many Americans hold onto so dearly will need to be compromised. Freedom of movement, to assemble and protest, and the right to privacy could be among liberties first to go in the battle to control the virus."

"The country will be forced to adopt some sense of equality in its stratified health care system to effectively contain, or even slow, the viral spread across different people in all sorts of different groups."

2 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

In every major disaster, especially those which cause people to stay at home for prolonged periods , there is an increased birth rate.

The Spanish flu brought about the the ww2 generation. Another disaster ( the war) brought the Baby Boomers. 911 had a baby bump. Not the millennials but many of generation z.  This pandemic will likely bring about a notable increase in Births :

Prepare for the CORONIALS! 

Can I please steal this and post it everywhere? That is the most epic joke yet.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

A Bird Named Enza

This is a story based on the history of the Influenza of 1918. It is written from the perspective of one man and his inability to save his family and town from the deadly Influenza of 1918.

"I had a little bird....

A childhood chant heard on the playgrounds throughout America during the Influenza of 1918. To this day, the influenza "virus" of 1918 remains a mystery. It spread with alarming speed across the country and, after it ran its deadly course, the pandemic had taken more than 600,000 lives in America and 30 million worldwide. No one was safe. The young, the old, the healthy could become sick in the morning and dead by that same evening.

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.