JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 hour ago, DarinS said:

For those with multiple screens and TV ..... this will cause some issues in any of the newer versions of zoom

WHEN attendants unmute....manually 

causes a pop up that appears onscreen....and the local participant must acknowledge or decline the prompt 

( so not actually saving the effort of ‘getting up’)

in some cases it appears behind windows or elsewhere and impedes The smooth flow because folks need to find the popup and acknowledge/decline

then need to unmute themselves

causes glitchy issues and unnecessarily extends the comment process

( this obviously precludes helping those who can’t use technology)

We have the setting Request permission to unmute participants enabled for the meetings. When the participant clicks Yes for consent to unmute their microphone, we can unmute the participant instantly for all meetings without the unmute pop up each time.

11 minutes ago, TylerD said:

We have the setting Request permission to unmute participants enabled for the meetings. When the participant clicks Yes for consent to unmute their microphone, we can unmute the participant instantly for all meetings without the unmute pop up each time.

Is the permission permanent or do they have to give it each time a meeting starts?

On 12/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, TylerD said:

Thanx Tyler....that must be the setting we are missing - because it prompts us time and time again....actually gets a bit annoying

trying to find the popup that the attendant/Host triggered by them unmuting......

ill see if we can maybe make that change

On 12/28/2020 at 2:26 AM, TylerD said:

It's asked only once per Zoom client. The permission is stored in the settings, which can be removed at any time.

It seems my zoom client is always asked each time I connect to a zoom meeting whether I wish to allow the host to mute/unmute my microphone.

Is there a setting I have to make on my zoom client to make my answer permanent?

13 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

It seems my zoom client is always asked each time I connect to a zoom meeting whether I wish to allow the host to mute/unmute my microphone.

Is there a setting I have to make on my zoom client to make my answer permanent?

Hello brother.... Yes, this will only be permanent for the meeting in course, meaning, if you open a new meeting, all participants are entering that meeting for the first time. That's why it asks confirmation every meeting.
What you have to do is set a "permanent meeting". In Zoom I think it's called a recurring meeting. That will allow you to use the same link or PIN for all your meetings. It's like the door to the Kingdom Hall, once you open it the others may enter as well... And since all brothers have already confirmed the allowance to open mics the first time, they won't get the request again, as long as you use the same meeting link or pin....

13 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

This is the message that keeps appearing, right?

image.png.d330df4957b45453ad2c07fbb03cde1b.png

It should be permanent when you choose Allow. There is not a separate setting for that. If you're selecting Allow each time, something might be wrong with your zoom client and might need to be reinstalled.

2 hours ago, TylerD said:

If the meetings are on the same congregation Zoom account, all meeting IDs being hosted by that Zoom account will have the microphone permission. 

You're right, I believe that's the case when you start a meeting using the account's PMI (Personal meeting ID) every time... so it's the same as I said before, it is every time the same meeting that you are opening and closing on every ocasion. As long as you do that it should work fine too...
What doesn't work is if you just start a new meeting by clicking the "new meeting" button ... that will open a meeting, but the ID, pin and link will always be diferent than before, therefore, no one has ever entered that meeting, so the question will pop up again.
I know this because my congregation used to do it this way before (new IDs every time), and we have recently switched to a recurring meeting, in order to be able to fully control the microfones.

At our meeting for service this morning, the brother conducting finally notices that the hands raised is now yellow.  “Hey, the raised hand is yellow...when did that change?” 😁The brother who is the “host” says “No, they’re blue.” A few chime in, “No they’re yellow.”  Well he was on a desktop or something and his was blue, so he changed to his tablet and he says, “ O they are yellow.” 😁 Got us chuckling for a while. (My laptop is yellow.)

Who would a thought a group of adults would laugh over whether hands were blue or yellow .

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

If they are using a Windows PC - then, even if they don't think it is so, they do not have the latest update if they still show blue hands

😁😁😁 Won’t go there. image.png.3c79f4feb1cffb3a3268198f3f194021.png

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I mentioned that to one of the cohosts and they said Nope. Not there.

Give it time. It is there on Win 10 with Zoom 5.4.7. But it is not an icon, but rather a button on the botton. It might be they are expecting to see the familiar hand they are used to.

Old (Downunder) Tone

If you have the updated client ... even if someone raises their  image.png.d734b6761862c94413a1e7d4d7a6bb13.png  on their device, it will show as the new   image.png.29a8c044e2faff49f589848b73dd21f9.png    on the updated client.

Or, whichever of the colors they have selected

image.png.0f9f488780f2b3bb689cc7aff345c454.png

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I foolishly change the "reaction" color to dark brown (or black) at the end of the scale.  When I got to the meeting, my "hand was at the bottom in the black taskbar area.  It is hard to see a black color icon on a black control area.  I changed it back after the meeting.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, TylerD said:

This is the message that keeps appearing, right?

image.png.d330df4957b45453ad2c07fbb03cde1b.png

It should be permanent when you choose Allow. There is not a separate setting for that. If you're selecting Allow each time, something might be wrong with your zoom client and might need to be reinstalled.

Nope ours looks different....

says something along the lines

host has offered to unmute you....

choices

unmute.....stay muted

4 minutes ago, DarinS said:

Nope ours looks different....

says something along the lines

host has offered to unmute you....

choices

unmute.....stay muted

This looks like the message that pops when a host tries to unmute someone during the meeting... The message that TylerD showed there appears right after you click to enter the meeting, before you actually join in...